Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #241
MCObray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
The t-case drop is removed and the SYE is in! Pics and info...sometime.
Nice! I'm looking forward to it as you have great detailed write-ups. This is something (SYE) that i'm going to have to due sometime... I'm only lifted 2.5"

MCObray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #242
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Teaser pic: the left-overs

forumrunner_20111110_202404.jpg

More stuff coming soon. I'm moving slower than usual because I'm trying to make the switch to Linux and aside from figuring out what software I even need, learning how it works is taking some time.
Unread 11-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #243
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCObray View Post
Nice! I'm looking forward to it as you have great detailed write-ups. This is something (SYE) that i'm going to have to due sometime... I'm only lifted 2.5"
Somebody looking forward to my writing is a huge compliment. I can't thank you enough, honestly! I'm only at around 2" of lift myself right now but these 97+ t-cases are practically blenders. Seems like they want to issue out vibes under most any circumstance. My vibes were manageable when the rear was sagged as badly as it was. Since I built the bastard pack though, 60 has been pretty much my top speed...until now!

http://ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-XHNT&Category_Code=XDT

I will admit I was in a hurry and didn't take as many pictures as I usually do. I apologize for that but I do have some pictures and a fair amount of info. I followed the IRO instructions but they would be much more helpful if they went into detail of explaining various methods of cutting, how to drill and tap, etc.

Plain and simple, there is a lot that can go wrong with this mod. Cutting, drilling and tapping your output shaft is risky business. Patience, sharp tools, plenty of oil and clean rags should be considered a must. Without these, there is a considerable likelihood of breaking a drill bit or tap off inside of the output shaft. Should that occur, your options are ordering a pre-fab SYE shaft or installing another stock shaft, buying new tools and trying things again. Anyway, on to the real info.

The first thing I did was to remove transfer case drop. It was a simple matter of supporting the crossmember, removing 4 long bolts, removing the spacers, raising the crossmember up and reinstalling it with the included bolts. If you have a factory transfer case skid plate, you may need to remove it before you can get a clear space on the crossmember for removal.

Next, chock your wheels or set your e-brake and remove the stock rear driveshaft. Once you have it out of the way, make sure your rig is sitting on flat ground with it's own weight in place. No jacks, no ramps, etc. Measure from inside the rear axle yoke to the output shaft and put a mark at 33-3/4". That's just a rough number. You actually have 3/4" to work with on either side of that measurement. You need to take care to leave at least 1" of splines on the output shaft. I ended up leaving 1-3/8" on mine.

The instructions suggest using a silver marker. I don't have **** like that, so I wrapped the output shaft in green masking tape and made a simple mark with a black Sharpie. From there, I installed a fresh cutting disc in the angle grinder and put on safety glasses, gloves and a hooded sweatshirt. Many people have recommended running in drive or reverse to get a good, straight cut. I found that running in neutral provided a more workable low-speed rotation. Use whatever suits you. I used my Sharpie to finish marking all the way around the output shaft then I started cutting. After it's cut, while the output shaft is still spinning, hold a file to the sharp edge from your cut to dress it slightly. It will make sliding the yoke on easier.

The finished output shaft.

When you leave the minimum amount of splines or a measurement close to that like I used, you'll find yourself bottoming out the new yoke before you bottom out the output shaft inside of it. It's a good time to test fit your driveshaft, but odds are if you have less than 3" of lift, you'll need to cut the new yoke as well. The same cut off tool you used on the output shaft will also work here. I took advantage of the opportunity to borrow a band saw to save some time. I cut 3/4" off the end of the yoke. I also dressed the cut a bit.

Once you have an output shaft and yoke that fit together nicely, that's when things slow down tremendously. There are a variety of methods to establish the center of the output shaft. I used a remnant from the cut and a center punch. It was very close, although I did drill the bolt hole in the center of the new yoke slightly larger to make starting the bolt easier. Once I marked the center of the output shaft, I drilled it out twice - once at 3/16" and again at 5/16" to tap it out to 3/8". If you use the 3/8" bolt provided, you only need to drill and tap 1" or so into the output shaft. I measured my drill bit and wrapped a small piece of my green masking tape around it so I knew when to stop drilling. I marked the tap in similar fashion as well. When tapping, after every quarter-turn or so, I removed the tap fully, wiped it off and oiled inside the output shaft until a few drops ran out. It took quite some time to complete this stage.

After cutting and tapping, this is what we're left with.

Depending on how much of the output shaft you leave, this may put your driveshaft in contact with the emergency brake cable. I didn't have any problems with this but since it's so close, it's worth keeping an eye on.

The stock 87-01 XJ front driveshaft has about 4" of travel. With a 2" lift and the measurements I've provided, you'll be left with about 1" of compression and 3" of extension.

Shown here at ride height.

One side effect I experienced as a result of removing the transfer case drop was that the exhaust hanger that ties in with the transfer case mount forced the exhaust up against the body. This caused vibrations and a droning inside the cabin. Fixing it was as simple as bending the hanger down slightly. I used a large adjustable wrench.

The ride is fantastically smooth now. All of my drivetrain vibes are gone and it feels like a new vehicle. Our XJs really should have come from the factory with a SYE and double-cardan shafts front and rear.

Aside from losing the vibes and being ready for most any lift, there's also the added bonus of tucking everything back up where it's supposed to be. Even if you don't do any additional lift, removing the t-case lowering kit will give you back ground clearance where you most need it.

Unread 11-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #244
iSpark
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice writeup Kevin! This will help me get over the jitters when I eventually do mine.
Unread 11-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #245
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you very much. Best of luck with yours!
Unread 11-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #246
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Almost forgot to add, last night I met up with Kitchen and traded my Curt hitch for a spare front driveshaft.
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #247
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wheeled and camped at Shoe Creek with my Jeep club this weekend. We met up in Lovingston, ran Shoe Creek and Stony Run, then returned to our camp site in Shoe Creek just before dark. The pics are a little misleading as there was actually something like 20 rigs out for this event.

This was the first time I've ever slept in the back of my XJ. I carried a king-size comforter folded in 3 for the bedding with a sleeping bag, a couple extra blankets and a couple pillows. I cleared out my tools and the rear seat bottom, slid the front seats all the way forward and installed the filler I'd made. I slept like a champ!

The SYE and other mods I did recently worked great. My only casualties were nearly breaking my aluminum antenna mount I knew was weak to begin with and picking up some pin stripes in the paint. Something up front needs some inspection. I have something loose and rattling. I suspect the track bar but as yet I've not had any poor handling characteristics which usually accompany issues with it. I'll investigate further this week.

Unread 11-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #248
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice wheeling pics man. awesome xj.
4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #249
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a lot of fun
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #250
Palmetto

1981 CJ7 

Kevin...

Fantastic Write-up!

I have the IRO H&T SYE in the rear of my XJ awaiting installation as I type this.

I have a question though... You don't mention shimming the rear pinion. I have about a 3" lift
that the previous owner installed and ordered some 2* shims from IRO as well. I figured I "had" to
shim the rear. Am I wrong?

Thanks man... awesome XJ!

RP 2012~!

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
It's a Jeep thing, I don't even understand it sometimes.
1981 CJ-7, AMC 360 bored .30 over, Edelbrock Intake, Edelbrock Cam, Edelbrock Double Roller Timing Chain, Holly 650 truck avenger carb, Flowcooler water pump. '97 Dodge 4wd Std NV4500. D300 Twin Sticked. Corbeau Seats, Custom Dash with Autometer guages, Electronic Speedo, all stainless hardware, Outlaw II Wheels, BFG AT 33" Tires, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, AGR steering box, Borgeson steering shaft, ididit tilt column, Mean Green Starter, Tuffy console, poly gas tank, handmade rear bumper, cheap radio and speakers.

2000 XJ - HO 4.0L, 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. PSC gearbox. IRO Double Shear Trackbar. New headliner. IRO Hack & Tap SYE. IRO adjustable UCA & LCA, RE 3.5" lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disconnects. Future mod: OTK steering, lockers, FIPK, rock sliders, JCR Bumpers, rear storage, high pinion rear (3.55), frame reinforcement, hood louvers, rack lighting.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #251
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the kind words everybody! It was definitely a fun time!

I have 2" of of rear lift between my bastard pack and 1" lift shackle. I'm not really noticing any vibes. I may have to shim when I go up the extra inch. Some people have even had to reinstall their t-case drops. I think every lift configuration is a little different. You need to measure the driveline angle to be sure. I've read the info before but I can't recite it for you or tell you where to look right now.
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #252
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely gotta do something with the track bar mount!

Unread 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #253
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm attempting to drill out the track bar mount and bushing sleeve to use a 1/2" bolt. Right now...I don't know about this! lol

*Update*

Everything turned out okay. My track bar mount had a loose bolt that had wallowed the hole out to roughly 7/16". I bought a 1/2" x 2-1/2" Grade 8 bolt with a nylock nut. I drilled everything out, including the bushing sleeve, in increments of 64ths. The sleeve was a little tricky but I finally got everything drilled out and the new hardware installed. Everything's nice and tight once again. If it ever wears again though, I'm not sure what the fix will be.
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #254
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

dang that video is really bad. i guess just go with a 1/2" bolt that a lot of movement.
4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #255
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice SYE write-up Kevin. I bookmarked it since I will probably get around to installing one soon... at only 2.5" of lift.

Also, how do you like those lights you have on the front? I have the same ones laying around that I've been thinking about putting on my tractor for snow plowing. I converted it from 6v to 12v (1951 Farmall) but the lights still suck.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.