Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #226
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Between this site and NAXJA, there really is a lot of great info out there on how to repurpose a number of common junkyard parts! The engine problems held me back quite a bit. If it wasn't for having to replace the head followed immediately by needing a new engine, which cost me in the neighborhood of $1,200, I would have just ordered a Rough Country kit and called it a day.

The route I've been forced to take for financial reasons has been much more interesting than just opening a box of new parts and bolting them on. I'm not sure all this dealing with greasy, used parts was more fun than handling shiny, painted new stuff but I'm almost to where I wanted to be at just a fraction of the cost. It's been a lot more work and taken a WHOLE lot longer to get here, but I've been thoroughly impressed with how cheap it's been to modify my rig to the point it's at now.

The end is sort of in sight. Finish the lift, install the SYE, add a real t-case skid and rock rails and get new tires. With that done, hopefully I'll be able to sit back and just enjoy what I've built for a while.

Unread 10-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #227
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just got an e-mail from Dirtbound Offroad. My SYE will be here Thurs.
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #228
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Score! Still need a driveshaft though. The tried and trusted IRO H&T SYE for over $20 less than ordering direct from them. Go Dirtbound Offroad!

forumrunner_20111020_125639.jpg
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #229
MCObray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Score! Still need a driveshaft though. The tried and trusted IRO H&T SYE for over $20 less than ordering direct from them. Go Dirtbound Offroad!

Attachment 293071
Nice! How much was it... $99?
This might be my next modification. I'm slightly lifted and still encounter some vibes here and there... drives me insane!
MCObray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #230
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I paid $99 with free shipping. After I ordered, I found out about this:

Quote:
Use Promo Code at checkout and get 10% off your entire order at DirtBound Offroad!
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1056945
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/cate...e_eliminators/
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #231
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a shot of the Reese hitch I got from the junkyard next to my Kurt hitch. The Kurt hitch is a lot heavier with beefier components but is somehow rated for 1,000 lbs less? Weird. Anyway, my main consideration was gaining some departure angle. Fixing my sagged rear springs has probably eliminated the problem anyway but the Reese hitch tucks 1" tighter to the rear bumper and protrudes 2" less. The only bad thing about it sitting further back is that I'm having to cut that chunk out of my gas tank skid. I started on it last night but ran out of time.

Here's a crappy fluorescent-lit shot of the height difference.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #232
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

All that work and I don't like how it fits up against the gas tank straps. This hitch was made for older XJs with metal tanks. I'll pull it back off Sunday and do everything up good. I have a new nutstrip to install so I'll grab new bolts and everything. Oh well, Craigslist, here it comes.
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #233
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I pulled the rear bumper off last night to replace the nut strip and decided my high-clearance hitch will be fine. I also wound up re-using my original nut strip after some work.

It came out like this. (Yes, that's a broken drill bit stuck in it.)

To repair the stripped-out nuts, I tapped them out to " and bought some new grade 8 hardware.

It tucks up so much better!
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #234
PAXJ98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty nice dude! Love those back-up lights tucked into the bumper like that. Leafs look like they're straighting out a bit though - that due to all the extra weight with your armor, or are you thinking about replacing them?

White '98 XJ, auto, 4.0, 3" BDS, 31" Firestone's
PAXJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #235
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man! I love those lights. They help a ton and super cheap and extremely durable. The leaves are part of a bastard pack. I have a combination of 6 factory leaves - one full pack plus a main with the eyes cut off and a secondary. They look flat because the factory springs didn't have a lot of arch to begin with. The combination I'm running is giving me 2" of lift and an awesome ride. It's more lift than that but I have 4 tool boxes plus a loaded cooler back there. Since that's my normal cargo, I'm working off the lower measurements.
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #236
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yesterday at the junk yard was an epic fail. There were two XJs with good front driveshafts but both had stripped bolts at the t-case end. I'm paying about $20 more than I wanted to but I'm having one delivered by some Craigslist dude this afternoon.

*Update*

Dude was being too lazy about delivering the part, which was the only way I could justify his asking price. Instead, I bought a 6-point ratcheting wrench and I'll try my luck again at the junkyard. One of my kits goes from 7mm to 9mm anyway, so it was a good purchase.

*Update*

My new Mac 6-point hinged box end 8mm worked like a charm. I got an oil-covered used driveshaft for $31.
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #237
robswampthing

2000 XJ Cherokee 

excellent read for night owls like myself, i feel like we have similar intentions. i need to further investigate a 0331 on my 2k xj limited. so in regards to that issue you said after you pulled the valve cover you "pressurized" the radiator allowing you to find the small crack. my oil isnt showing any froth so im unsure. but i am losing coolant. and everytime i go wheeling (south carolina mud) my whole cooling system gets contaminated with *****, but i flushed it about 2 weeks ago and its still nice and green. i feel yah on chasing down the little querks. i was out there last night finding a vibrating i heard only while idling. turns out a steep hill pushed my bumper up just enough to touch the hatch causing a vibe when im at about 1000 rpms in drive. DAMN YOU JEEP! anyway man, nice build. i miss virginia desperatly.
robswampthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #238
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

your hitch for my driveshaft?
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #239
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do it up!
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #240
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The t-case drop is removed and the SYE is in! Pics and info...sometime.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.