Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #196
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I originally posted this at http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?...&postcount=425 but decided to stick a copy here in my build thread as well.

The divider that keeps everything from sliding around.

As it sits right now, with my front driveshaft in the towel.

My bag of tricks with everything from jumper cables and spare sensors to extra food and clothes.

Some recovery goodies.

Toiletries and first aid, tripod flashlight, and a switch to turn the interior lights off and on.

The typical arrangement.

Unread 07-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #197
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just ordered a couple offroad goodies. The 12v compressor I have worked great on my Corolla tires but left a little to be desired on my XJ's 235s. I've shopped around some and just ordered a Viair 85p which will handle up to 31s. I also bought a 12v plug that clamps straight to the battery terminals so I don't have to worry about fuses when running the compressor. I can see a variety of other uses for it as well.

Unread 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #198
fourPOINTnine
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
In the garage today.

Draining for a new transmission fluid filter

Trying to fix a short in the right speaker

We also took a shim out of the AC compressor. It only had one left in it but that's my latest attempt at troubleshooting a temperamental AC. It was pretty straightforward. I took 2 bolts out to get the fan shroud loose, took a nut out of the center of the clutch then wiggled it off with a couple screwdrivers. The splines in the armature are keyed so you have to line that up for it to go back on right. We hit the splines with anti-seize before reassembly.
kevin, your post caught my attention, My 2000 xj cherokee also has a short on the right front door speaker, I cant figure it out, aswell my AC doesnt work, im thinking mine has the same problems as your's? pm me if you can please!
fourPOINTnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #199
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I stopped at a local exhaust shop today to get an estimate on a custom tailpipe as mine has rattled against the ZJ skid ever since it was installed. The welder put my rig on the lift while the counter guy had me filling out paperwork.

I was still just asking questions about price and options with the guy behind the counter and I look out the door and see the welder tacking some hangers on and adjusting some clamps.

I was like, "This was just supposed to be an estimate. Nobody told him that?" The counter guy apologized and said no charge.

I took the estimate slip back from him so there was no paper trail and gave the welder $25 cash.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #200
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I hit the local Pick N Pull and grabbed a like-new front driveshaft out of a 99. I somehow lost 1 of the caps by the time I got out of the yard with it so I stuffed a new u-joint in it and I'm a 4x4 again. $32 and a few minutes of work with an 8mm wrench, ratchet and socket. It's been a damn productive day!
Unread 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #201
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have been reading your thread. Its great! Thanks for taking the time to post and add all the pictures. I have put about 650$ worth of parts (easily $3K worth of work IF a shop would have done it.)this last month, and i couldn't imagine taking extra time to take pictures. I wish i would though. Thanks again, i will be using some of these ideas on my XJ...
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #202
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's fun to me to go back and read through this expensive and difficult learning process. I'm glad what I've noted is helping you out!

Today my fiance and I went to Carova Beach. The trip down was slow an uneventful. The beach was more crowded than I've ever seen it and they have a silly rule now that the dune and water lines are paths of travel. That means you have to park in the middle and to get in the water, you have to cross "the road". When it's as busy as it was today, it's a very dangerous arrangement.

The trip home got interesting as soon as we got off the beach. I stopped at the first gas station for Shannon to change clothes while I pumped the tires back up. I opted to use my new Viair 85p but when I cranked the engine, it turned very slowly a few times until I got a little smoke show from under the hood. I quickly opened the hood and another Jeeper parked next to me was like, "Dude, you got a fire!"

By the time I realized where he was talking about, it was out. Apparently I have a compromised ground somewhere and the starer was grounding through the thin braided ground strap that goes between the head and the body. It was draped on top of the wiring harness and burned a hole in the plastic conduit. (Pics later.) I took it loose, cleaned it and the bolt going into the firewall up, and it cranked over beautifully.

We left there, drove back to the bypass, and stopped for lunch. Leaving the restaurant everything went smoothly. I spent the 2-hour ride home relaxing with cruise control, AC and my iPod plugged into the receiver. Just as I got off the exit to go to my house, I lost engine power. I checked the horn, still had juice. I rolled down the windows, dropped in neutral and tried a few times in vain to crank the engine. I told Shannon to hang on as we took a turn a little more quickly than normal. I was able to maneuver us into a driveway for a used car dealer, onto the sidewalk and between a telephone pole and a fire hydrant, all without power steering, to park us in an empty parking lot, making it safe to me try some quick fixes and easy for the wrecker driver to come get my unreliable POS.

It's sitting at my parents' house now. I'm suspecting the fuel pump as that's the only part I haven't replaced yet. I'll do a more thorough diagnosis tomorrow.

*Update*

When we put in the new engine, I didn't get the camshaft synchronizer tight enough. The bolt didn't fall out but it allowed everything to twist itself outside of the range for which the computer can correct. That simple mistake is what left me dead in the water. Moving the engine to top dead center and reindexing the camshaft position sensor fixed everything. That component is the basis for the bane of my Jeep ownership.
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #203
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tonight I started cutting up my spare stock XJ spring pack to build a bastard pack to level my rear springs back to stock height or there abouts. If I wind up with some lift, that's fine too, but that's not my goal here. My goal is simply to bring the rear up level with the front while maintaining that flexy, cushy stock ride.

The center of the spring eye is where the main spring starts to curve. I marked this with a speed square and a nail.

Illustrating verification for where the start of the curve.

I then drew a straight line all the way across the leaf.

I used a nail as a scratch awl. Hopefully you have a better selection of tools.

I used the bottom spring as a template to mark the curvature on to the main spring.

Today's episode is brought to you by the backwards letter K.

This was how I set things up to make my cuts. I also had a flexible light shining on the work surface.

I made the longer striaght cuts first.

Then I nipped off the corners to save time at the bench grinder.

Took an extra couple of minutes but everything's rounded and smooth now.

This is the basic pattern for my homebrew spring clamps. I used 1/8" flat stock in 1" and 2" widths. The 1" stuff has a center size of 2-1/2" and the 2" stuff fits over that, coming to 2-3/4".

Notching the 2" stuff is slow and tedious but for $12 worth of material, the price is probably tough to beat.

Once I know the size of my bastard pack, I'll trim the legs of this stuff down accordingly.
Unread 08-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #204
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just for reference: where I got the idea for my spring clamps.
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...idproduct=1110

Unread 08-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #205
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I finally bothered to request a build sheet for my rig. No real surprises.

Dear Kevin:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

In response to your email, we are pleased to provide vehicle build information as you requested. As per our records, your 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport was equipped from the factory with the following:

Sales Code Description
*M5 Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
-AZ Agate
AA4 Sport Value Group
ADAP Light Group
APAS Monotone Paint
AWHP Power Equipment Group
A20P 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS
BASS 124 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
CADP High Back Bucket Seats
CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Folding Seat
CGGS Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKXS Midgate Box Access
CLEP Front & Rear Floor Mats
CSAS Spare Tire Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CSSS Illuminated Rear Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DHSP Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJKS Dana 30/181MM Front Axle
DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRAS Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GAL Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEEP Deep Tint Sunscreen Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNCP Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
GTS Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMP Remote Keyless Entry
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBFS Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JPAP Power Windows
JPBP Power Locks
KDPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING COLOR
KGPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KRPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING COLOR
KTPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KVPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KYPP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K2ZS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K3BS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LBBP Courtesy Lamps
LCDP Map/Dome Reading Lamps
LDAP Underhood Lamp
LDBP Cargo Compartment Lamp
LHDP Headlamp Off Time Delay
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJ Fog Lamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MBKS Black Front Bumper End Caps
MBLS Body Color Front Bumper
MBSS Black Rear Bumper End Caps
MBTS Body Color Rear Bumper
MCAS Front Bumper Guards
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFBS Body Color Headlamp Bezels
MFKS Body Color Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
MMGS Belt Moldings
MMKS Body Color Drip Trough Molding
MNAS Black Door Handles
MNNS Body Color License Plate Brow
MWGP Roof Rack
NAE California Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NBVP Low Emission Vehicle (LEV)
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHM Speed Control
PBT Patriot Blue Pearl Coat
QBTS Patriot Blue Pearl Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RASS AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCRP 4 Speakers
RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCGP Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
SDAS Normal Duty Suspension
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBCS Compact Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRLS P225/75R15 Wrangler RT/S AT Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WJ5S 15X7.0 Full-Face Steel Wheels
WLYC All Steel Wheels
XCYS Delete Remote Start System
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Thank you for being a part of Jeep, have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Alyssa

Customer Service Representative
Jeep Customer Assistance Center
Unread 09-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #206
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
dude look at the sagging leaf spring! change that!
I finished my bastard pack yesterday. I got some great info from this thread while a printed copy of Skyjacker's standard AAL installation instructions helped as well.

I swapped out my Rough Country lift shackles for the stock XJ shackles. From there, I assembled everything finger tight with the used main leaf, minus the spring eyes, as a full-length AAL. That left me 1" low in the rear still. I considered reinstalling the lift shackles but I decided I wanted to go ahead and do it right. I bought some longer u-bolts, going up from 7/16" to 1/2" diameter and installed the 2nd longest leaf as well. It was strange going from a 4-leaf pack to a 6-leaf pack but it did the trick. (Yes, I cut the bolts down.)

My homebrew spring clamps came out great. When I made them, I measured the stock spring pack and added 1/2" to allow for 2 extra leaves should that be necessary. I had assumed I'd have to trim them down after installing the single leaf but as it required 2, the clamps worked out perfectly.

I'm sitting on empty and didn't have my loaded cooler in the back, but it's sitting 3/4" higher in the rear than the front now. Previously it was over 2" low in the back. I'm going to give everything time to settle but I wouldn't mind throwing a 3/4" spacer up front to truly level it out. That should give me adequate space to go up to 30s when I buy tires. I did discover I'm missing both rear bump stops, so I need to figure out where to order them from. Here's a shot as it sits now:

The ride is practically unchanged. It's slightly firmer, has a lot less body roll, but is every bit as comfortable as you'd expect for a SWB rig with a leaf-sprung rear. And even with the extra leaves and the rear sway bar still attached, it seems to flex as well as ever.

Unread 09-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #207
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Today was a busy day. I finished installing my new rear bump stops. When I built the bastard pack, I realized one was missing and one was hanging by a thread. The gas tank had started leaking when full so I dropped it and installed a new fuel filter and gasket. While I had the tank down, I took the opportunity to install the heavy-duty tie downs I've had for 2 years or so as there was no easy way to install them securely that didn't run the risk of poking something into the tank.

The only thing I have left on the short list is to order some 3/4" coil spacers to level the front up with the bastard pack. I'll order them the first of the week.

Unread 10-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #208
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm planning on a wheeling/camping trip sometime soon so I thought I'd throw together an extension for the cargo area that fills the void when the rear seat bottom is removed and the front seats are slid all the way forward. When there's any weight on the passenger seat back, it lays flat.

I think with this, I could pile some blankets and sleeping bags in the back as padding and me, maybe me and my fiance, could sleep pretty comfortably back there.
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #209
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My spacers for leveling the front came today. Generic eBay specials for less than $30.

Shocks, springs, sway bar and track bar undone.

I had to rent some spring compressors from AutoZone and it still took some pry bar work to get the springs out and in.

It took two ratchet straps and the jack to get the track bar lined back up.
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #210
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Took this shot at work today. I think it looks great leveled out! Think I have room for 30s?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.