Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Keep XJ or get camaro??

3K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  witchdoctor7710 
#1 ·
Hey, for some time i have been pondering this.

I wish to sell my 01 cherokee, and get a camaro, (rs or z28, more preferably the z). My insurance would actually go DOWN (idk how that works) if I did this..also id be getting slightly better mileage, even with the z28, this is because i will be driving to college soon and cant do the jeep's 11-4 city/20 highway, compared to the 16-17 city/ 23-26 highway with the z (if i keep off it ;) and even better with the rs option) oh and if it helps the year of the camaro would most likely be 98-02

My problem is that every time I see a lifted cherokee i think twice about selling it, and then i'm torn since I love the jeep, but really want something with a little batter gas and that ill use more (since i really dont offroad as much as I thought i would), and is a nicer highway cruiser.

Things to consider:
If i keep the jeep, im lifting it. 3" with 30's or 31's, which id be getting even less than that 14/20 ratio
I really don't offroad that much
I would get more use and fun out of the camaro on the road
My family does have a car I could use for the winter months if I needed it

So thats that, should I keep the jeep? or sell it and buy a camaro??

Any comments questions or concerns are appreciated!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Ive had this same problem. I ended up sell my jeep got a muscle car and it was fun for the first 3-4 months and then I started noticing trails id never been down and getting calls from friends to go wheeling, and just the over all comfort of not having to fall into an climb out of a car. So I sold the car an got another jeep. If I was you and your worried about the fuel mileage for traveling to school an back. I would keep the jeep and just pick up a little civic or accord something mid 90's. theyre cheap easy to work on and awesome on gas.

#4 ·
You know, you SAY that winter isn't an issue because your family has a vehicle you can use, but I've been there, and it's still a pain. I had an 83 El Camino that was my baby, but I eventually sold it because I didn't want to have to rely on someone else's car during the winter anymore.

It is my opinion (as well as my chosen course of action) that you should get yourself a 365-day driver, and buy the toy later as a 2nd vehicle. Perhaps the Jeep just isn't the right vehicle for you, but I don't think that the Camaro is at this point in your life either. This is just a thought, but how do you feel about a Subaru? My girlfriend has a 98 Outback, and I respect the hell out of it. It gets 25+ mpg. For road and mild off-road purposes, they're scary capable, and something like a WRX would be a bit of both worlds--capable driver and a sporty toy. The Subaru community is also nearly as awesome and knowledgeable as the Jeep community.

#5 ·
Cameros are piles of crap. I had one and the interior (plastic) falls apart and really getting a camero for gas milage is dumb.
Do a good tune up on your XJ to get some better MPG's . I dont care that much about gas milage it just becomes part of the budget. Maybe only go wheeling once or twice a month to reduce yur gas consumption and try to kill 2 birds with one stone when ya do have to go somewhere .

#24 ·
Yup 4th gen camaros are poorly designed, my uncle had one brand new when i was ten, the back seat is worthless even when i was ten the interior seemed cramped, and the seats felt like sitting on a board.
Plus id bet money that my buddys v6 mustang would tear my uncles ss a new one in the turns lol! And i'm not biased i like chevys, it just 4th gen camaros are terribly designed. Just like most 90s chevys great drivelines, put in terrible cars.

#8 ·
When you're in college the best thing to look for is what is practical. If the Jeep fits that bill keep it, otherwise look for something that is practical for you. As mschi772 said, look for what will be the best daily driver for you and only get a toy when you can afford to have a second vehicle.

I have 95 XJ and a 2013 Mustang GT now. But I bought them both after I graduated college and got a decent job. When I was in college I didn't have the time for the Jeep or the Funds to afford the Mustang, or put gas in either of them. So I had a Pontiac G6 (3.5L) when I was in college which got good gas mileage, was reliable, had decent (though not spectacular) performance, and did pretty well in snow (up to 6" or so, anymore and it was buried to the frame).

If your XJ is reliable and the gas mileage isn't a concern, keeping it is a good idea. If you need good gas mileage look for a small or midsized car. Subarus are a good option if you want a vehicle that gets good mileage and still has AWD.

#9 ·
Thanks for all of the opinions guys, and just to answer/respond to some statements,

@lowbudget87yj, I cant fit into those little hondas, i barley fit into my girlfriends crv (even my jeep) so id personally not get one, and I'm just more of an american car guy too.

@mschi772, well it SEEMS like it isn't a problem, but i have you guys the short story, basically my dad has a company car he uses hats fine for the snow, and my mom drives her hundai in the snow too, it handles fine and hasn't had a problem, so the other jeep we have that my dad used to drive is just a whoever needs it kind of car, and I'm almost always the one to be driving it, so it really isn't an issue lol, also if it snows to the point where I would have to drive it, my mom usually makes everyone stay inside anyways xD. Also, if I got a subaru, it would have to be an impreza, and that's one of the highest insurance cost cars for kids my age, so that wouldn't be the best idea really.

@modstock, well I don't know what kind of camaro you owned, but I'm not buying a 3K pile of junk or a camaro that needs a little work, I'm gonna do it the right way, and have a 6-8k range, cause you can find some good quality camaros that wont have any problems (from what I have found).

@tom95yj, I can understand your point, but personally I'm more of a chevy guys when it comes to the ford vs chevy debate, I give complete respect to mustangs, but they're too common, and they get sightly worse mpg than camaros, and c'mon who doesn't love t-tops?:cool: Oh and also, you said the mpg sucks, and that you'll always be on the gas? from that I'm guessing you drove it like you stole it? because that would be causing you mpg problem lol, not to start a debate or battle but just a thought lol. I'm a responsible driver, and know I would be able to handle it, I'm more of a cruiser than a racer, so i would be getting the better mileage compared to other guys that always want to race around lol.

@dmill89, I understand your point, although I'm not really worried about the money too much, since the gas would be better than the jeep, and insurance less, etc, etc. and i do hear you on the keeping the jeep, if i was just commuting or something id be keeping it, but I'm driving almost 400mi to college, and I'm lifting the truck over the summer if I'm keeping it, so id probably be getting less mpg than I am now. I'm also not worried about AWD, i rarely put my truck in snow or not, so I'm not concerned with losing that capability.

Thanks for all you comments!! its really giving me more to think about, so i appreciate all of this :), if there is anything else anyone would like to add, please do!

P.S.

To tie some loose end that I found, with the first comment on "it would have to be an impreza", personally i cant drive the the average everyday kind of cars, i like to have something different than the rest and to stand out a little, i know it sounds slightly arrogant, but i just like it that way, i just don't like to go with the flow and blend in like everyone else.

Also, when I said im not too concerned about the money, this is because I would not be driving the camaro everyday, because of the spare jeep that my family has, so it would be on nicer days/half the week, etc. even in college, id drive it like maybe once or twice a week. The main thing is driving to and from college, and my GF's house in upstate NY from Long Island(cause we met at out college)

Thanks again!

#10 ·
I find it really funny that most Jeep owners also want or own a Subby as a second vehicle.

Problem is OP, you're wanting something that stands out and draws attention. You're freshy 18 years old, you don't need that right now, especially if you can barely afford the XJ. Get something cheap that you won't really want to mod like a ****ty Chevy Cobalt or similar, keep the XJ to mod that, or sell it and have a Camaro and the Cobalt.

You can't own a muscle car and not think you won't mod it, because you will.

#11 ·
@DNFJ, I agree with the subaru comment, and also, i don't mean to completely draw attention all the time, just something that's different than what everyone else has, and I have no problem affording the XJ, I just am thinking of something better on mpg that I know ill be able to afford, since its the long a** trips that I stated above that is driving this decision. On the modding, the most I would do is exhaust, headlights, stereo, and rims. I don't trust myself mechanically enough to do anything more than that, and I certainly don't want to pay crazy labor fees for others to do it.

sorry to counter your argument, but that's what I would do IF i had the camaro, I'm not the insane modding type, id want to keep the car as nice as I could without doing crazy mechanics and modiications.

oh and one last thing, same goes for a jeep, you cant own one and not mod it ;) lol

#12 ·
I totally understand your sentiment about not wanting to own a samey boring vehicle, but you can really make anything unique if you want to. There were 2.8 MILLION Cherokees made, so they're not exactly unique head-turners, but with the help of some personal modifications and/or (like mine) a rare and unique factory paint color, even they can still turn heads. I've seen Cavaliers, Tauruses, Park Avenues, even a Corolla that stood-out and made me look.

Modstock's comment about XJ mpg becoming "part of the budget" reminded me of something. Yes, the XJ gets lackluster mpg, but it's incredibly reliable--when it DOES need to be maintained, it's super easy to work on, and parts are generally quite cheap. Add in the value of having the capability of a higher ground clearance and tough 4wd and the relatively low insurance cost for this type of vehicle, and I honestly think these are quite the deal compared to people driving around with car/lease payments and unreliable cars with expensive parts and crazy insurance costs.

People hear my mpg and think that my XJ must be so expensive to own, but then I tell them that I can do nearly all the work it needs (which isn't often) all by myself with cheap parts, they realize that their automotive budget is probably way more than mine with my thirsty XJ. I've extended my oil change interval by using a larger oil filter and synthetic oil as well, so even my oil change budget is inexpensive. I don't know if it completely makes-up for an average city+highway 18 mpg, but it at least takes the edge off.

Keep the Jeep. Get a "boring" car and keep the Jeep. Get a "boring" car then get a "toy". Those are what I'd consider if I were you. Getting rid of the Jeep, NOT getting a "boring" car, and just getting a "toy" just isn't the best idea. Do what you want though because--and I mean no offense with this because I was the same way at that point in my life--you're just going to do what you want anyway whether it's a good decision or not. We can't force wisdom onto you especially not without really knowing you, so you'll just have to make your own decisions and learn from whatever mistakes you make. Hell, years later I'm still trying to decide if it was a mistake to have a suped-up 83 El Camino in high school and college without having a cheaper and/or more reliable driver or if it was a mistake to get rid of it. Both possibilities sure as hell inform my present-day automotive decision-making, though.

#13 ·
I agree with you on that, although in my experience, I dont have time time or know how to fix up the jeep when calls for it, so I ahve to go to someone else, and what was once a simple fix, becomes an expensive pain in the ***. And nobody likes that haha

#14 ·
Oh, I understand, but IF you have any interest in it, it's easy to learn especially with the help of places like JeepForum. I've owned a Jeep for less than 2 years; I knew nothing but the basics of small-block Chevy maintenance and modification when I bought it, and now I'm "the Jeep expert" among friends and family and dishing-out info and advice on the site that taught me so much.

It all starts with deciding to tackle a simple project yourself like changing transfer case oil or replacing shocks. Next thing you know, you're confident enough to say, "I'm going to try replacing that damned oil filter adapter O-ring" or "I think I'll overhaul my cooling system next month." At some point, you may find that you've climbed the totem pole so high that you're not afraid to try anything on your own anymore; if not, at least you can do some things yourself and know what your limit is. I'm a freak, and I've climbed so high on the Jeep pole that I've now hopped over to the Subaru pole and will be changing my girlfriend's timing belt and, maybe, her head gaskets by myself. The money saved vs paying for all that labor is quite the motivator.

#17 ·
@mschi, that's great advice and i hear your point, i did try to do some things but at that point my jeep was my DD and now that I have the other one i could use...your comment does make me think about being able to do that stuff now without being out of a car....

@ DNFJ, because even though i can afford it, i dont want to pay almost 200$ for gad when i go to and from college at the beginning and end of the semesters, and to my GFs house 3 hours away when school is not in session...and also, not lifting it if i keep is is going to be difficult to do lol, I may be thinking of selling it, but I still have a small jeep bug ;)

Just a quick question for everyone, after a 3" lift and 31's with my 11-14/20 mpg, would i get a big decrease? like 11/18? cause over 400 miles, 2 mpg can make a difference over time, especially when its a trip id make almost 4-8 times a year with driving to and from college

I don't mean to be fighting all this help, its just a way I can figure out ALL the pros and cons before I make a decision so i don't think "i shouldent have done that", I really appreciate all the help you folks are giving me!

#19 ·
And to add to this, it was said that you guys don't really know me, so to just give you a really quick background (just to give you an idea if the kind of person I am, and how i think and such), I'm 18, no accidents or tickets, I'm an Eagle Scout, I go to SUNY Geneseo, and just down to earth and easy going.

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how i am, and shows that I am not a speed crazy, adrenaline junkie haha......oh and also, remember, i think we all have a Z28 mindset, i would still get the rs v6 version of the camaro, which is even better on gas, than the z, but just dosent hold its value as much lol, and not a nicer interior and such lol

#20 ·
"What should my MPG be?" and "How can I raise my MPG?" type questions are very difficult to answer.

The basics go like this:

Keep all of your fluids in good condition.
Keep your filters and spark system maintained.
The crack that many 4.0 headers develop is bad for MPG.
Old/failing O2 sensors hurt MPG.
Extra weight and external accessories are bad for MPG.
Aggressive and/or wide tires are generally bad for MPG. (I see you have Rugged Terrains. Awesome choice!)
The 4.0 runs most efficiently at about 2100-2400 RPM, and aerodynamic drag increases exponentially with speed, so speeding on the highway will waste gas.
Weight in wheels/tires is rotational in nature, and every pound there is worth about 2 lbs of static weight (not the 10:1 that so many people think it is). http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

People say that lifts hurt MPG, but it's not the lift per se; a lifted XJ gives its undercarriage more exposure to the air as it drives which creates more turbulence/drag. It's your steering, suspension, axles, and tires that create aerodynamic drag because of a lift. I mention this because I know a guy who created a light-weight underbody "skid" out of ductwork sheet metal in order to cover a lot of that jungle of metal to improve underbody aerodynamics. He's FastPlastic over at EcoModder.com.

Also keep in mind that your speedometer and odometer are calibrated to a ~28" tire. With larger tires, you'll be going farther/faster than those instruments say, so unless you correct it (see here: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm) or compensate for the difference when doing the math, your rough at-the-pump MPG calculations will be wrong.

P.S. If you decide you really want to go the Camaro route...for what it's worth because I'm not the biggest fan of 4th gen Camaro/Firebirds anyway, if you're really into the 4.5 gen (98-02), I personally would go for a Firebird over a Camaro. They're the same car, but I think the Firebirds look better during those years.

#21 ·
Yeah, i have read many threads on the mpg topic, although i feel like this situation is different, its not how can I improve, its home can I not get worse. and also, you hit the one spot that has seriously deterred me from lifting my truck, I would want to modify the gears so that my speedo, tach, and odo is correct, and so the mpg doesn't suffer , and to me it had just been confusing, and also seemingly expensive. Am I wrong? I'm just clueless when it comes to gears.

I also agree with you on the firebird, but from what I have found over the years is that either its worthless junk, or way overpriced, especially the ws6 t/a's the v6's are nice too, but i have yet to find one in really nice condition that isn't over 8k

#23 ·
If you lift, you really should get lower gears put in it, Which is pricey, or you can live with mpg decrease. Either one costs money, but at least you know the xj and that there isnt anything major wrong with it. Worse case scenario is you sell the xj, and buy a camaro and find it needs major work of some kind.
Since it dosent sound like you offroad much, i would keep the cherokee, dont lift it and get some really good offroad tires, and a locker if you do want to go offroad. You can still have a heck of a lot of fun offroad like that, just go with some other jeeps, and dont get to crazy offroad.

#22 ·
Well, correcting the speedo/odo is a matter of changing a single little gear in the transfer case. Costs like $40 I think, and requires a single wrench. VERY easy. I guarantee it would be a breeze for you. I do recommend that you have a replacement speedo gear housing O-ring on hand and/or some RTV to use when putting it back in to be sure that it won't leak fluid. That HowtoSpeedoGears link I gave you explains it all.

If you've been thinking about axle gears, you should be OK with your stock 3.55 ratio and 31's. That's just about the limit (tire size) I'd ever go on 3.55, and it will be a bit sluggish, but changing axle gears is a decent bit of work and money. Your MPG should be alright with 30 or 31 and 3.55 gears. You'll still be cruising at 65 mph at 2100ish RPM.

If any of that is too much of a turn-off for you, how about compromise with like a 2" lift and 30s? An added benefit to a 2" lift is that your current 235s shouldn't look too goofy under it if you got the lift before being ready for new tires. An added benefit to 30s is that they can fit under a stock suspension if you got them before the lift. If you're really into wheeling, 2" and 30s might be too small for you, but it's something to consider if it would be able to work for ya. I've seen some XJ with 3" and 30s as well as some with 2" and 31s, and they didn't look odd to me either. You've got options.

Heh, look at me talkin' all lifts and bigger tires. I'm the oddball no lift with 225s guy around here. I'm sure there are some guys around here who make fun of me behind my back :)

#27 ·
Thanks for all the info guys..Im still not sure on my decision, but, this DEFFINATLEY helped. I have alot more to think about now...i just drove the jeep for the first time in 4 months since I just got home form college and forgot how much fun it is to drive, even if it still stock...I'll have to give it a few days and see what I decide to do.I'll post a reply within a week or two to let you guys know if I decide to keep it or not, feel free to keep posting comments and such since im still thinking.

Also, question on tire brands, for 30's or 31's, for a great look, but not a mpg decreacer, what tires would you reccomend? the two I'm looking at are BFG's All terrains, and General grabbers. what do you guys think? and I like that slightly wide stance to, like a little bit past the fender flare line, so i'd have to get 1.5" spacers im guessing? since im not getting new rims

#28 ·
I've had several 3rd and 4th gen f bodies and they're alright, but only an ls1 car is really worth getting. I agree with the design being horrible on them, which is why a lot of people are putting ls motors in classic cars.

I would keep the jeep considering your location, and it's hard to beat a cherokee for a cheap reliable 4x4. I'd also recommend the general grabbers they are just as good as the bfg's and cheaper. I have had many sets of bfg's and got some of the generals a couple years ago.

I would worry about finishing school then worry about toys

#29 ·
BFG Rugged Terrain (mild)
Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO 2
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Firestone Destination AT
General Grabber AT2
Goodyear Duratrac (aggressive)
Goodyear Silent Armor
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho Roadventure SAT (mild)
Toyo Open Country AT 2

That's my short list of all-terrain tires in alphabetical order. You really can't lose with any of them. BFG RT and Kumho SAT are both milder for better or for worse (depending on how much/little and how extreme/mild you wheel).

As someone who uses his Jeep as a daily driver but goes off road occasionally, I chose a milder AT tire (some consider it a highway/AT hybrid)--Kumho RV SAT. BFG Rugged Terrain is similar. If I went off road any less than I do now, I'd roll with Firestone Destination LE2 or Continental CrossContact (LX20 or LX Sport)--virtually no contest in the highway tire department really imo.

There are a lot of rebates floating around right now, and DiscountTireDirect.com is offering their own rebate in addition to many manufacturer rebates. DiscountTireDirect.com and Tirerack.com are fantastic places to buy tires, and they'll ship them straight to an installer for you. It's been many years and a couple cars since I've had a local tire shop beat either of these places' prices.

Don't let Jeeper peer pressure force you to buy a tire that your type of driving doesn't need. Lots of people buy inappropriate tires just because of how they look or because of peer pressure from their chosen automotive niche. My tires aren't "cool" by Jeeper standards, but my XJ is functionally far better off (for my lifestyle and type of driving) than a cookie-cutter Jeep with BFG ATs, Duratracs, or KM2s.
If you use spacers, make sure they're a hubcentric spacer--much more trustworthy. Don't get so carried away with mods and other toys that you neglect good maintenance. I know maintenance is boring compared to toys, but if you the vehicle in tip-top shape, it'll be around forever--more than enough time to get all the toys you want eventually.

#30 ·
After all this. I have decided to keep the jeep! :thumbsup:

After a few days of long thought, it really is the best idea to keep the XJ rather than sell it, especially since the winters at my college are real snowy....and I got the jeep bug again after being away from it for so long haha.

So within the next few weeks i'm going to be ordering my lift and tires!! also have a lightbar and lights that I forgot I had that I can install...this is going to be a fun summer lol.....oh quick question, exhausts, what do you reccomend? im looking at the flowmaster 40, 44, and super 10, what do you guys think??

#31 ·
Never ever ever heard of a mustang out handling a Camaro, but I've never driven a mustang either. It's silly to buy a Camaro for better mpg, if you need better mpg get a Honda, or a Corolla or something a long those lines. But don't expect to stay out of the Jeep world for too long, they seem to drag you back in some how.

p.s. I'll just leave this video of my old Camaro here for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.