Keep or sell? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Keep or sell?

Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough**Flash Weekend Sale** Rockridge4wd.com Only!

Unread 08-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Jeepgurl08
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Keep or sell?

I have a really nice 2001 jeep xj, 193k miles and it keeps needing to be fixed. So far in the last 6 months i have had to replace the head, water pump, thermostat, new gaskets and fluid in the diffs, fuel pump and new tires. I though i was set but now i found out i need a oil pressure sensor, oil pan gasket and the a/c gone through. So what do you think? Sell it or just fix it? BTW i will post some pics so you can help decide because this thing is turning into a money pit!!!

Jeepgurl08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Jeepgurl08
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 08-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Most of what you listed are items that will have to be replaced and/or worked on at some point in a 200K mile lifespan.

That's just the cost of doing business.

Go buy a brand new vehicle and at some point between now and 200K miles you'll be doing the same maintenance

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

For the work put into it already why sell it? You're just saving the next person money and wont get what you've put into it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
calisk8er1080
1992 YJ Wrangler 

While I can't for one comment on whether you should keep or sell, because if I was in your shoes, I'd have the same problem.
I can however, give you my take on the facts you gave, and do what you want with that info:

Pros: That is a REALLY clean cut Jeep. Seriously, it looks great. If you're looking to sell, sometimes a clean, rust free body is all a serious builder would need to be willing to pay top dollar for it. Throw in the fact that mechanically, your engine and tranny are probably in better shape than you realize, you could definately get some decent money for it. At least by XJ standards, with them being a dime a dozen.

Cons: Speaking of mechanically sound stuff, with so many things breaking on you all of a sudden, while they may have been cheap to replace thus far, who know's when it's gonna be something big like your engine, or an axle? That comes back to just the classic conundrum of owning any vehicle, and also really depends on how commited you are to upgrading your jeep when the time comes.
That being said. If you WERE to keep it. What would your plans be? Trail rig? DD? Something in between?
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
XabuJr
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Most of what you listed are items that will have to be replaced and/or worked on at some point in a 200K mile lifespan.

That's just the cost of doing business.

Go buy a brand new vehicle and at some point between now and 200K miles you'll be doing the same maintenance

This.

Every vehicle over it's lifetime will need the exact same thing you have listed. But it all doesn't have to be done at once. The AC? Save up for it and wait, it is nearly the end of August.

Gaskets? Always going to be needed no matter what, the fact it made it this long w/o you needing to do them is impressive. If you have the space to do it yourself, you'll save yourself a ton of money. Plus you have this resource right here to help you if you get stuck. The biggest cost to a Jeep is paying for someone else to do work most people can do themselves.

Overall, it all depends on what your plan for that Jeep is and what your goal is for a vehicle.
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
75SV1

It looks clean. Any rust? The oil pressure sensor is an easy one. The AC depends on what needs replaced. As said before, depends on if you can do the work, or find someone reasonable. The AC as said can wait till spring.
Sort of does the Jeep do what you want? MPG OK for your budget and driving? What would you replace it with?
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Jeepgurl08
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everyone, I really want to keep learning to fix my jeep myself. So far i have about 4K into it. Honestly it runs and drives great besides the tick. I will more than likely keep it and try to do the gasket myself. Is it very hard or easy enough that i can change it? I really want to try trail ridding next summer but i want to make sure it's in tip top shape Now my parents want me to sell it and buy a newer jeep like their Liberty or Commander. I bought mine from an old man so i know it's never been beat on, He even told me that in the 12 years he owned it that he maybe used the 4x4 a few times.
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Jeepgurl08
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
It looks clean. Any rust? The oil pressure sensor is an easy one. The AC depends on what needs replaced. As said before, depends on if you can do the work, or find someone reasonable. The AC as said can wait till spring.
Sort of does the Jeep do what you want? MPG OK for your budget and driving? What would you replace it with?
No rust at all, not even any under the jeep. The MPG could be alot better, I am getting like 200 miles till the gas light comes on. If i did replace it i would probably get a used liberty. I seen the new ones and i honestly hate them, They look like a squinting station wagon lol
Unread 08-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
calisk8er1080
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgurl08 View Post
No rust at all, not even any under the jeep. The MPG could be alot better, I am getting like 200 miles till the gas light comes on. If i did replace it i would probably get a used liberty. I seen the new ones and i honestly hate them, They look like a squinting station wagon lol
To be fair, a buddy of mine has a KK (new liberty) and he wheels that thing just as hard as i wheel my YJ.
Unread 08-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
XabuJr
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgurl08 View Post
Thanks everyone, I really want to keep learning to fix my jeep myself. So far i have about 4K into it. Honestly it runs and drives great besides the tick. I will more than likely keep it and try to do the gasket myself. Is it very hard or easy enough that i can change it? I really want to try trail ridding next summer but i want to make sure it's in tip top shape Now my parents want me to sell it and buy a newer jeep like their Liberty or Commander. I bought mine from an old man so i know it's never been beat on, He even told me that in the 12 years he owned it that he maybe used the 4x4 a few times.
Check the XJ tech section, there are write-ups for just about everything you could want on your Jeep. Build threads get started as people decide to take their stock Jeeps and convert them into whatever they want.

If there's no rust, then you're good to go. A newer Liberty or Commander just means a higher payment and a lot harder work to do yourself as things get more and more electronic.

But it all comes down to age too, because if your parents are recommending selling it and going newer, will they make you or are you old enough that they're just recommending but they can't do anything about it? haha

Either way, it's all up to what you think you want to take on and want. But all the resources are here at your fingertips either way!
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'd never sell an XJ that clean. But I'm insane and find working on them cathartic. So that's a personal choice.
Unread 08-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
Workman13
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I was kind of in the same boat you are. I bought what i thought was a good running 97 XJ with 89,000 miles. Drove it 230 miles home and immediately started having issues. Had several sensors go out, heater core is out, radiator started leaking, bad ujoints and ball joings, muffler blew a hole in it and some other stuff. I have done all of the work myself and started building it up now. I probably in the first couple months spent 300-500 on parts alone. I was really considering starting over but decided to keep it.
It still has a few issues but i have been driving it 200+ miles a week over the last month and a half and besides using a lot of gas it has done great. I am actually getting 15-17 mpg on 31's too.
Yours is cleaner than mine, i would keep it like other people said. You have already fixed a lot of what will have issues.

Good luck man!

the day i bought it

Now

I still have alot of building left but I am happy with my choice of keeping it!
Workman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #14
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my take as a pessimist

You had a cracked head but you got to it too late and the engine internals are bad due to coolant in the oil.
Your "bad oil pressure sensor" is actually bad oil pressure.

The AC issue is actually the evaporator and this will mean pulling out your dash and half of the interior.
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
Here's my take as a pessimist

You had a cracked head but you got to it too late and the engine internals are bad due to coolant in the oil.
Your "bad oil pressure sensor" is actually bad oil pressure.

The AC issue is actually the evaporator and this will mean pulling out your dash and half of the interior.
I with this\/... There are better money pits out there with far simpler problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.