Just replaced rear door gas struts. To powerful! Slams door open. Is that normal? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Just replaced rear door gas struts. To powerful! Slams door open. Is that normal?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Reply
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Motorcharge
I know more than you.
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
1991 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 12,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
That would have been hilarious to see, if you weren't injured.
Been there, it sucks. My 88 ones were bad but they'd work half the time. You'd have the hatch open and it would just give out and slam into the top of your head if you weren't paying attention. Either that or you'd turn around and it would sink some and you'd turn back around with it just the right height to catch you in the face.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #32
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Been there, it sucks. My 88 ones were bad but they'd work half the time. You'd have the hatch open and it would just give out and slam into the top of your head if you weren't paying attention. Either that or you'd turn around and it would sink some and you'd turn back around with it just the right height to catch you in the face.
I've been having the opposite problem with Oreilly struts. Way to strong. Slam door open. Could hit me in chin if I don't hold on to it when opening it.

So I ordered Jeep OEM struts (Jeep calls them rear hatch prop) and will be returning Oreilly struts.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
Motorcharge
I know more than you.
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
1991 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 12,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I've been having the opposite problem with Oreilly struts. Way to strong. Slam door open. Could hit me in chin if I don't hold on to it when opening it.

So I ordered Jeep OEM struts (Jeep calls them rear hatch prop) and will be returning Oreilly struts.
They're still that bad almost 2 months later? How often do you use the hatch?

My NAPA ones took about a month to loosen up and they're fine now, but I open the hatch up pretty much daily. It was bad at first though, I almost took it in the chin a few times.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #34
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
They're still that bad almost 2 months later? How often do you use the hatch?

My NAPA ones took about a month to loosen up and they're fine now, but I open the hatch up pretty much daily. It was bad at first though, I almost took it in the chin a few times.
I only use hatch twice a week. It's my second car.

It hasn't gotten any better. Not even a slight improvement.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #35
Motorcharge
I know more than you.
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
1991 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 12,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I only use hatch twice a week. It's my second car.

It hasn't gotten any better. Not even a slight improvement.
Make a point to open it a few times a day and see if it loosens up some.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #36
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Make a point to open it a few times a day and see if it loosens up some.
Hatch excercises? OK. Will try.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #37
Motorcharge
I know more than you.
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
1991 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 12,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Hatch excercises? OK. Will try.
Can't hurt. Like anything else mechanical it needs to be broken in.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Can't hurt. Like anything else mechanical it needs to be broken in.
At this point I'm sick of it, and I already ordered OEM hatch struts, and Oreilly already told me to return the ones I bought from them.

So it's to late to exercise the door struts, but it would have been a good idea earlier.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #39
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,891
The OEM rear hatch gas struts I ordered from Quadratec turned out to be Crown OER gas struts. OER is Original Equipment Replacement, which is not quite the same as OEM.

However, I can't complain because the Crown OER struts were $30 with free shipping. Real OEM struts would have cost me $60 or more with shipping.

The Crown struts work beautifully. They are two stage struts (like OEM). So the door opens fast for most of the way, and then opens slowly and gently the last 3 inches.

These Crown struts are perfect and the price was great. Neither Crown or Quadratec brags about them being dual rate. They don't even mention it. It was a nice surprise to see them work and learn they are dual rate. These Crown struts are fantastic!

I will be returning the Oreilly struts because they were excessively strong, single rate, too long, and slammed the door open so hard it bounced up & down a few times. The Oreilly struts did NOT improve after a few months use.

The Crown struts work perfectly immediately after installing. No break in needed. The Crown struts were easier to install than the Oreilly struts were (because the Oreilly struts are to long).

The Crown struts are cheaper than OEM, but Crown function exactly the same as OEM. Fantastico!
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #40
habbyguy
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 575
FWIW, as I said in my earlier post, I'd ordered a couple new struts from an Ebay vendor ($25 for two delivered). After installing the first one, I realized that it was SO strong that I didn't need to install the second (which would have made it impossible for my smaller wife to close the hatch). Just the other day, I realized that the strut is finally "breaking in" to the point where the single new strut is just lifting the hatch, barely getting the last few inches of movement. I went back through my email just now and realize that I bought these things in late 2006, and we use our hatch pretty often... so I guess it's safe to say that they don't "break in" too quickly.

Of course, all I do now is wait until the hatch doesn't quite open right, and I'll put on the other new strut and should be good for another six or seven years... so the net cost for a fully functional hatch is about $2 a year.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
FWIW, as I said in my earlier post, I'd ordered a couple new struts from an Ebay vendor ($25 for two delivered). After installing the first one, I realized that it was SO strong that I didn't need to install the second (which would have made it impossible for my smaller wife to close the hatch). Just the other day, I realized that the strut is finally "breaking in" to the point where the single new strut is just lifting the hatch, barely getting the last few inches of movement. I went back through my email just now and realize that I bought these things in late 2006, and we use our hatch pretty often... so I guess it's safe to say that they don't "break in" too quickly.

Of course, all I do now is wait until the hatch doesn't quite open right, and I'll put on the other new strut and should be good for another six or seven years... so the net cost for a fully functional hatch is about $2 a year.
That sounds miserable. Buy something and it takes 7 years to begin functioning adequately. When you add the second strut your hatch will go in to orbit again.

You need OEM Chrylser or Crown struts, or a taller wife. Maybe get her some higher heals?

Just kidding. Short girls are cute. Keep the wife and get better struts.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.