Just got reemed by my dad for wanting to switch to Rotella T6... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Just got reemed by my dad for wanting to switch to Rotella T6...

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Personally I don't think that the color of the oil at change time is so much an indication of the quality of the oil but of the filter. If you haven't changed the filter that you're using I'd be worried that all the stuff that isn't making your oil dirty is sludging up your engine... I was thinking of getting one of those Canton/Mecca filters for the heep because I like my stuff to last forever, but unfortunately I just spent the money on new rods and mains instead :/ (only had it 2K miles, changed the oil, and now it's knocking?) I guess if my crank looks too bad or if new shells don't quiet it down I will be looking at a rebuild.

But anyway to the question that was asked, I've always been told that using a HDEO like Delo or Rotella is the way to go; I worry a little about using a SAE 40 oil in an engine that recommends SAE 30 (the second number is the one that really matters, the first one affects cold startup and essentially lower is better, within reason - but that's a whole 'nother discussion, and mistrust any non-synthetic that has a lower "W" viscosity rating than 10W30 or 15W40... viscosity improvers will break down before the oil will... but synthetics are naturally more viscosity stable than conventionals so things like 5W40 are possible)

I probably will use the 5W40 in my own engine, it's already knocking on 10W30 and I've got a whole stash of it in my storage locker that was intended for a Studebaker engine. So at this point it can't hurt...

Rebuild needing a new crank? Look on jeepstrokers as the mini 4.2L stroker builds The 232 crank is used, and all thats needed after that is a set of pistons..around 200. Cranks abuot 150, it'd be the best to do, get some more low end. I'm doing this build currently! About 800 in it so far, and its almost done!
I run Bosch or Mobil 1 filters. Yes I change it everytime I change my oil...seems like you thought I was running just 1 filter continuously right?
I know its not the best way to judge oil by color, but the point does stand, that while running Delo or Rotellla to 4500miles its still clean as hell, but while running Mobil 1 it was flithy black at the same 4500miles.
99% of the time I run Bosch filters, if I can't find the right Bosch then I run Mobil 1. Jeep is daily driven to work and leasure..
So there would be no changes as to how its run, how long it was run and what was filtering it..the Mobil1 just got dirty quicker!

Rotella & Delo both have cleaners in them..detergants. It will litterally break down the sludge/gunk built up..

DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I dunno if I need a rebuild or not. Gonna try it ghetto cheap first and just slap some standard size shells in there and see what happens, because I have good oil pressure and nothing wrong with it at all save for a few oil leaks (I think VC gasket and a new one at the OF mount) runs like a simian who just received some unwanted attention, just sounds like heck. I may get lucky or I may not but either way I'm only out the cost of some rod bearings as I figure the OP gasket would be reusable if it came to that (Fel-Pro steel core) I know it's wrong, but I did it on my ex's VW Corrado and it was rattle free for many years and miles afterwards.

As for the oil color I still say if it's dirty that means it's working well and you need more filtration, not different oil. But maybe your engine cleaned itself up from you having used good oil? (along those lines, I have about 2000 miles on some unknown synthetic 10W30 - whatever my mechanic used, I figured I'd let him change the oil since he doesn't make any money on safety inspections here in VA - and it's only slightly darkened, and what I can see of the head looks clean enough to eat off of. So I really don't know why I have a rod knock if it's been that well maintained and only has 82K miles...)
N8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #33
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post

As for the oil color I still say if it's dirty that means it's working well and you need more filtration, not different oil. But maybe your engine cleaned itself up from you having used good oil? (along those lines, I have about 2000 miles on some unknown synthetic 10W30 - whatever my mechanic used, I figured I'd let him change the oil since he doesn't make any money on safety inspections here in VA - and it's only slightly darkened, and what I can see of the head looks clean enough to eat off of. So I really don't know why I have a rod knock if it's been that well maintained and only has 82K miles...)

Alot of people re-ring & toss in new bearings. No issue there, I'd do the rear main, and the OP gasket for safe insurance. The VC gasket, I forget the P# but theres a steel one vs that shotty cork one. I'll see about finding the P#.

I think when I ran Mobil1, the motor may have had some sludge built up! It was my first 2 oil changes, running a HUGE oil filter. I still run the same version filters, just changed to Rotella. Runs like a top, 68psi cold start, 23-25psi warm idle.
DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.