Just got reemed by my dad for wanting to switch to Rotella T6... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Just got reemed by my dad for wanting to switch to Rotella T6...

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #16
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Running Rotella 5w40 here. I used to run Delo 15w40, but switched to rotella 5w40 because I visit the cummins forum often!
They send in samples quite often I guess and Rotella always came out on top of Delo. Amsoil is the only oil they are saying is better. Then run their Rotella to 8k so I'm sure the 5K changes in my jeep will be fine.
I also run a HUGE oil filter!

DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #17
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

I think I will run it then. Its $20/gallon here and cheaper than the $32.99 I would be paying for Mobil 1 High Mileage.

I just run WIX Premium. Its a small filter but everyone I talk to swears that WIX is the best.
This is what I run.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I run a Wix 51515 filter, and again from reading over on BITOG, it tends to be the #1 or #2 recommended filter. On newer XJs, the Wix 51515 is a direct fit, and its just longer, which means more surface area, which is A Good Thing. Not sure about the older jeeps, I think the oil filter adapter threads are a different pitch which means you have different options... I would think you could find something similar though that has the same OD, but is just longer, since the oil filter runs parallel to the block it should fit, right?

FWIW, I get it from wally world for $20 a gallon around here too. Wix 51515 filter runs 5-6 bucks. 35 bucks for a full syn oil change is tough to beat.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #19
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend View Post
I run a Wix 51515 filter, and again from reading over on BITOG, it tends to be the #1 or #2 recommended filter. On newer XJs, the Wix 51515 is a direct fit, and its just longer, which means more surface area, which is A Good Thing. Not sure about the older jeeps, I think the oil filter adapter threads are a different pitch which means you have different options... I would think you could find something similar though that has the same OD, but is just longer, since the oil filter runs parallel to the block it should fit, right?

FWIW, I get it from wally world for $20 a gallon around here too. Wix 51515 filter runs 5-6 bucks. 35 bucks for a full syn oil change is tough to beat.
idk, I have an I4. Its filter screws right onto the block, no adapter needed. :-\
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I run T6 as well. If you're really that concerned about the weight they make T5 (a semi-synthetic) in 10w-30. I don't know how much ZDDP it has in it, but I would assume it has a decent amount.
Jeff9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
Billet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not to start trouble, but I had to show my dad a few things before he started asking me whats wrong with something.
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your 22 years old according to your profile, I assume it is your Jeep run what you want to use .
If your dad doesn't like it move out Seriously your arguing about oil and bringing it online what's next dating advise !
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #23
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
what's next dating advise !

Well you see theres this girl.....

Unread 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #24
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

....well, that's the real reason I'm here.

All kidding aside, I try to keep up with technology, but I still learn a thing or two from my son.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1AWRet View Post
....well, that's the real reason I'm here.

All kidding aside, I try to keep up with technology, but I still learn a thing or two from my son.

Your flyordies dad? If you want google search Rotella vs Delo..
On the cummins forum those guys send in oil samples after 5-8k, and the Rotellas always up top.
I run bosch or mobil 1 oil filters..forget the part number, but they are HUGE..bearly fit. Luckily mines renix and my oil filter points out towards the fender, vs the HO's they point backwards.
But I change around 4500 miles and the oils still golden colored! I used to run Delo 15W40, but switched after I saw the oil reviews done on the cummins forum. Rotella 5W40 was always better.

Both are about 12 bucks cheaper than Mobil 1. I think I pay like 28 bucks for 6 quarts. While mobil 1 was costing me over 40 for 6 quarts.
Mobil1 used to get dark..not black but not golden..kind of inbetween, by 4500 miles, the Delo & Rotella still look new at the same 4500 miles. I've been a very happy camper since the switch!
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #26
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, no relation to him/her that I know of.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
BlueBadger

A

Last edited by BlueBadger; 03-18-2012 at 10:29 AM..
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
BlueBadger

I've got A '92XJ with just over 300k on it. For the last 200k. It's used nothing but Rotella T15w-40. That's the only oil I run in any of my jeeps or trucks. And I don't even own a diesel. Lol my best friend has a 2007 turbo'd busa making over 400whp he uses for land speed racing. Do to the amount of blow by it makes the oil gets dirty as a diesels just as quick. And do to the very hi zinc and sulfur content of the diesel oil. Rotella T15w-40 is the only thing he runs in that monster!!!! Go with the diesel oil and then go 400k miles.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertXj88 View Post
Your flyordies dad? If you want google search Rotella vs Delo..
On the cummins forum those guys send in oil samples after 5-8k, and the Rotellas always up top.
I run bosch or mobil 1 oil filters..forget the part number, but they are HUGE..bearly fit. Luckily mines renix and my oil filter points out towards the fender, vs the HO's they point backwards.
But I change around 4500 miles and the oils still golden colored! I used to run Delo 15W40, but switched after I saw the oil reviews done on the cummins forum. Rotella 5W40 was always better.

Both are about 12 bucks cheaper than Mobil 1. I think I pay like 28 bucks for 6 quarts. While mobil 1 was costing me over 40 for 6 quarts.
Mobil1 used to get dark..not black but not golden..kind of inbetween, by 4500 miles, the Delo & Rotella still look new at the same 4500 miles. I've been a very happy camper since the switch!
Personally I don't think that the color of the oil at change time is so much an indication of the quality of the oil but of the filter. If you haven't changed the filter that you're using I'd be worried that all the stuff that isn't making your oil dirty is sludging up your engine... I was thinking of getting one of those Canton/Mecca filters for the heep because I like my stuff to last forever, but unfortunately I just spent the money on new rods and mains instead :/ (only had it 2K miles, changed the oil, and now it's knocking?) I guess if my crank looks too bad or if new shells don't quiet it down I will be looking at a rebuild.

But anyway to the question that was asked, I've always been told that using a HDEO like Delo or Rotella is the way to go; I worry a little about using a SAE 40 oil in an engine that recommends SAE 30 (the second number is the one that really matters, the first one affects cold startup and essentially lower is better, within reason - but that's a whole 'nother discussion, and mistrust any non-synthetic that has a lower "W" viscosity rating than 10W30 or 15W40... viscosity improvers will break down before the oil will... but synthetics are naturally more viscosity stable than conventionals so things like 5W40 are possible)

I probably will use the 5W40 in my own engine, it's already knocking on 10W30 and I've got a whole stash of it in my storage locker that was intended for a Studebaker engine. So at this point it can't hurt...
N8N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #30
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Rotella 15/40 and Wix, Napa Gold or Mopar.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.