Jon's Jeep XJ Build Thread. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Jon's Jeep XJ Build Thread.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #61
cactus_jack
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
According to your specs, you run a 33x12.50? Why aren't you geared? My tires are only an inch bigger in diameter overall. I've never had to change my trans fluid yet, and it still shifts like it did the day I got it.
Because I don't need to. If I were to plan on doing some heavy wheeling or using my rig as a DD, then yes, I would regear. Have you installed trans temp gauge and seen the temperatures your tranny fluid hits? You'd be surprised how hot it gets with just 33's. If you're not changing your trans fluid every once in a while, you're wrong. You might not notice it now, but you will eventually no matter how many years you've been driving it. I don't care if every person on this forum disagrees with me. High temperatures are torture on trans fluid. Just because it's red doesn't mean it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Quit being a newb and listening to everything you hear on the interwebz and JF.
Because you're so knowledgeable on the subject. You've probably done something to your rig that a majority of people frown upon (like your welded C8.25) but that's what you wanted so you did it. If ol' boy gets all mad because of a post I made about his Jeep then he needs to stay off of the internet. He can fend for himself, he doesn't need you to defend him.

Look, I'm not hatin' on dude's rig. It looks nice and probably suites him well and that's all that matters. It's just not what I would have done with mine. To each his own as everyone says. I just don't understand how he has time to enjoy it considering he works 7 days a week and doesn't have to time to even do his own work (one of the most satisfying parts of Jeeping for a lot of us) This whole build thread just looks like an advertisement for LiftedTrucksUSA. I smell a JF build thread conspiracy

Maybe I've had too much to drink...I'll go to bed now

__________________
CACTUS_JACK
98 XJ Sport Budget Build
cactus_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #62
NJXJ91
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
Because I don't need to. If I were to plan on doing some heavy wheeling or using my rig as a DD, then yes, I would regear. Have you installed trans temp gauge and seen the temperatures your tranny fluid hits? You'd be surprised how hot it gets with just 33's. If you're not changing your trans fluid every once in a while, you're wrong. You might not notice it now, but you will eventually no matter how many years you've been driving it. I don't care if every person on this forum disagrees with me. High temperatures are torture on trans fluid. Just because it's red doesn't mean it's good.


Because you're so knowledgeable on the subject. You've probably done something to your rig that a majority of people frown upon (like your welded C8.25) but that's what you wanted so you did it. If ol' boy gets all mad because of a post I made about his Jeep then he needs to stay off of the internet. He can fend for himself, he doesn't need you to defend him.

Look, I'm not hatin' on dude's rig. It looks nice and probably suites him well and that's all that matters. It's just not what I would have done with mine. To each his own as everyone says. I just don't understand how he has time to enjoy it considering he works 7 days a week and doesn't have to time to even do his own work (one of the most satisfying parts of Jeeping for a lot of us) This whole build thread just looks like an advertisement for LiftedTrucksUSA. I smell a JF build thread conspiracy

Maybe I've had too much to drink...I'll go to bed now
This. I agree with others, It looks awesome and I would definatley enjoy owning it. But the guy is ignoring all questions and comments and just looks to be advertising
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #63
ibjeepin95
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
Because I don't need to. If I were to plan on doing some heavy wheeling or using my rig as a DD, then yes, I would regear. Have you installed trans temp gauge and seen the temperatures your tranny fluid hits? You'd be surprised how hot it gets with just 33's. If you're not changing your trans fluid every once in a while, you're wrong. You might not notice it now, but you will eventually no matter how many years you've been driving it. I don't care if every person on this forum disagrees with me. High temperatures are torture on trans fluid. Just because it's red doesn't mean it's good.


Because you're so knowledgeable on the subject. You've probably done something to your rig that a majority of people frown upon (like your welded C8.25) but that's what you wanted so you did it. If ol' boy gets all mad because of a post I made about his Jeep then he needs to stay off of the internet. He can fend for himself, he doesn't need you to defend him.

Look, I'm not hatin' on dude's rig. It looks nice and probably suites him well and that's all that matters. It's just not what I would have done with mine. To each his own as everyone says. I just don't understand how he has time to enjoy it considering he works 7 days a week and doesn't have to time to even do his own work (one of the most satisfying parts of Jeeping for a lot of us) This whole build thread just looks like an advertisement for LiftedTrucksUSA. I smell a JF build thread conspiracy

Maybe I've had too much to drink...I'll go to bed now
I understand trans temps are bad, but I'm fairly sure mine hasn't gotten that hot. I will change it soon, I know that it definitely wouldn't hurt anything. Don't think that I am against gears, I just haven't felt the need to do it. Will I ever? Hell yeah, just probably not on the stock axles. As for the OP, I'm pretty sure this is an advertisement thing, too. Dude has a "build thread" on Facebook with nearly 2k "likes". WTF? Anyone can have an 8" lift thrown under their XJ and drive it through the mud. People may think it looks cool, but I'd be willing to bet it couldn't hang with my XJ in the rocks. Oh, and the welded 8.25, **** a lunchbox locker. I like that predictable, 100% locked feeling. I wasn't trying to rag on you or call you out,it just came out that way.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #64
Bimmer9938
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh / Durham NC
Posts: 82
Quote:
Look, I'm not hatin' on dude's rig. It looks nice and probably suites him well and that's all that matters. It's just not what I would have done with mine. To each his own as everyone says. I just don't understand how he has time to enjoy it considering he works 7 days a week and doesn't have to time to even do his own work (one of the most satisfying parts of Jeeping for a lot of us) This whole build thread just looks like an advertisement for LiftedTrucksUSA. I smell a JF build thread conspiracy
When did I ever say go like or post on LTUSA?

And yes, I ignore questions that are asked in an undermining manner. I post on forums to share my Jeep enthusiasm not to get into fights. Thanks for looking at my build.
__________________
www.LiftedTrucksUSA.com
Bimmer9938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #65
Bimmer9938
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh / Durham NC
Posts: 82
I decided to go with Husky Liner mats, these fit like a glove and offer a lot of protection.







__________________
www.LiftedTrucksUSA.com
Bimmer9938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #66
Texsun
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Copperas Cove, TX
Posts: 2,622
Quick question, do you have all this already done? if do its not exactly a build thread. more like showing it off, which is cool and all but damn lots of post.
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #67
cactus_jack
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I understand trans temps are bad, but I'm fairly sure mine hasn't gotten that hot. I will change it soon, I know that it definitely wouldn't hurt anything. Don't think that I am against gears, I just haven't felt the need to do it. Will I ever? Hell yeah, just probably not on the stock axles. As for the OP, I'm pretty sure this is an advertisement thing, too. Dude has a "build thread" on Facebook with nearly 2k "likes". WTF? Anyone can have an 8" lift thrown under their XJ and drive it through the mud. People may think it looks cool, but I'd be willing to bet it couldn't hang with my XJ in the rocks. Oh, and the welded 8.25, **** a lunchbox locker. I like that predictable, 100% locked feeling. I wasn't trying to rag on you or call you out,it just came out that way.
Right on. It's all good. This cookie cutter build/advertisement just pisses me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer9938 View Post
When did I ever say go like or post on LTUSA?
When did I say that you said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer9938 View Post
And yes, I ignore questions that are asked in an undermining manner. I post on forums to share my Jeep enthusiasm not to get into fights. Thanks for looking at my build.
Sure, ok. You're doing things so fast. (or have you already done them and just making a build thread and posting a few pictures here and there?) It makes me feel like I'm watching an episode of "Trucks!". You might as well start listing MSRP and a link to where you can buy it as well as a phone number to Bushwhacker's tech line.

Listen, if you already have this jeep built up with a bajillion dollars worth of accessories just post it up instead of playing it off like you just go out and buy $3000 worth of stuff a day. You rig looks good, real good. It's just not what most of us would do to ours but who cares. If you're not advertising, you're not looking for anyone else to like it. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. Now, back to you Stacey David from "Gearz".
__________________
CACTUS_JACK
98 XJ Sport Budget Build
cactus_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #68
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
this is interesting.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #69
alexrule123
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 7,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Oh really? If you think gears makes that much of a difference on 35s I dare you to follow me...
Wait until I get my lockers installed, then challenge accepted Deeper gears make it much easier to crawl over obstacles in a more controlled fashion. When I had 3:55s my jeep wouldn't crawl but rather launch over obstacles...I hated it!
__________________
Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited: My Build Thread
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #70
Bimmer9938
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh / Durham NC
Posts: 82
Quote:
Quick question, do you have all this already done? if do its not exactly a build thread. more like showing it off, which is cool and all but damn lots of post.
Just bought her and had what has posted just done, but now everything is up to date.

My next plans are to install my Bushwacker flares and get aftermarket bumpers, there are so many companies making nice aftermarket bumpers I want to explore all the options and I'm still undecided if i want to do a winch bumper or get a front receiver and run a winch mount.
__________________
www.LiftedTrucksUSA.com
Bimmer9938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #71
ibjeepin95
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Wait until I get my lockers installed, then challenge accepted Deeper gears make it much easier to crawl over obstacles in a more controlled fashion. When I had 3:55s my jeep wouldn't crawl but rather launch over obstacles...I hated it!
lol, I'll still go with the challenge. I don't have that problem. I guess I'm used to it. I've drove a few geared Jeeps and in 4 low I can tell a difference, but not enough that it actually hinders my performance in any way. I wish you Florida guys could seriously come wheel with us up here in our big pointy rocks, or vice versa. I just think it's interesting in how much of a difference the terrain is.

Edit- Alex, now that I think about it, maybe I like how my gearing is in the rocks because I do tend to wheel a little more with the throttle than actually "crawl". My friends that sometimes ride with me usually say something like "Ok, slow down on this drop. Easy,easy EA--..... Oh *****" BOOM
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #72
Bimmer9938
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh / Durham NC
Posts: 82
Some pics getting a lil mud on the tires!

http://liftedtrucksusa.com/forum/che...html#post10307
__________________
www.LiftedTrucksUSA.com
Bimmer9938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #73
alexrule123
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 7,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer9938 View Post
Some pics getting a lil mud on the tires!

http://liftedtrucksusa.com/forum/che...html#post10307

So when are you going to take it off road?
__________________
Quote:
The great thing about UDP jokes is no one cares if you get them or not.
2001 Cherokee Limited: My Build Thread
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #74
straightsixjeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ks
Posts: 2,190
The floor mats look good, I just put a Husky cargo mat in my jeep. Clean 60th edition xj!
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #75
Bimmer9938
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Raleigh / Durham NC
Posts: 82
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this picture!

__________________
www.LiftedTrucksUSA.com
Bimmer9938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.