Joining the Darkside - TJ to XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Joining the Darkside - TJ to XJ

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 03-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
hulud44

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Joining the Darkside - TJ to XJ

It was time for me to pick up a DD to take some stress of my TJ which has been fairly heavily built. Found a nice little XJ for fairly cheap. Ive always been a Wrangler guy but Im pretty excited about it. Has all the options I was looking for. Just needs a little love but all in all good condition. Dont plan on doing any heavy wheelin. Will set it up for some beach/fishing use. But thats about it.

Came with:

95' XJ
rear 8.25
NP231
RE 3.5" superflex w/ add a leaf
RE Track bar
31" x 10.5 BFG AT 90%
New RC nitro shocks
15" Black steelies 4.0 BS
Super chip
Bedlined interior
Custom front bumper w/ tie ins
Door mod
Aftermarket exhaust (unknown make)
Has Floors!!!

Plans:
New leaf spring bushings
Add carpet (want a quiet ride)
All fluids
Front Aussie locker
Roof cross members (maybe custom w/ JCR rack mounts
Front and rear hitches
On board air
Paint fenders/ rockers
undercoating tub

AS I said Im new to the XJ world so any other cheap or essential mods that are a good idea, please LMK

My TJ

2000 Wrangler/ Waggy44/ 8.8/ 4:88/ Locked/ 37'' BPR/ 3-4 link/ 102" WB
NYCJC
USMC
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

I'd start with trimming those front fenders to stop at the grill. Looks goofy coming all the way down with that bumper on there.

As for cheap mods, interior/dash LEDs are cheap and very easy and a significant improvement. Same with the H4 headlight upgrade, that can be done for around $80 shipped off Amazon and the difference is night and day. 95 is also the year the seat brackets were changed so you can swap in ZJ or WJ seats and they'll bolt directly to your seat bases and they're a huge improvement for comfort though you'll lose about an inch of head room.
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
hulud44

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was planning on cutting the fenders up front. I just dont want to take it any further than that with the sheet metal cutting cause next thing ya know Im exo ed on tons. ahaha I already talked my self out of the cut and fold mod and some box tube rockers
NYCJC
USMC
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^^^talk yourself back into it. Cut and fold helps departure and is a common rust spot. Box tube rockers are easy to install and eliminate another chronic rust location on XJ's.

Welcome to the wagon wheeling club. I dig the wagon wheels. I run them as well in the white flavour.
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
hulud44

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Believe me Id love to but as I said Im trying to stay away from the Wheelin mods and build a functional DD. Id like to keep the exterior as "stock" looking as possible. I definitely want to sure up the unibody for front and rear tow points. There s that company Detours offroad that made that "XJ Tail bone" which I always liked. But they discontinued it. The front already has a HD front bumper with some good frame tie ins. Im gonna weld a @" receiver into it soon.

http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone_install.php

id also like to maximize storage space on the interior. Any one make any decent racks for inside the tail gate area?
NYCJC
USMC
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Flip the rear view mirror upside down. It gets it out of your line of vision.
If the original floor mats are history, the average aftermarket ones will fit if you use the passenger front upside down (f-b). Otherwise it folds up in the narrow space.
Cup holder: find a metal one that hangs on the window sill, bend the tab flat that hooks on the window, drill a hole in the tab and attach to the screw under the console lid. This leaves the cupholder resting next to the ebrake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.