Jeep xj HID conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Jeep xj HID conversion

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
youngXJlover
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 25
Jeep xj HID conversion

Hey guys, installed my new HID system last month and finally getting around to putting pictures up. Also recieved my JeepForum decal Enjoy!
Officially supporting JeepForum now!

dscf0278_zps2b4af341.jpg   dscf0279_zpsc007078a.jpg   dscf0277_zps3f9df433.jpg  
__________________
[B]2000 jeep xj[/B] - 5.5 skyjacker lift, bushwacker flares, custom fabrications front and rear bumpers, 33 DC mud country's, 12000lbs PTO winch, HID fogs and headlights, d30 locked, c8.25 locked, raptor bedliner.
[B]1995 chev silverado[/B] - 2" bds lift, jacked out trailering gear!

[B]Mud holes are like chicks with std's, you wanna hit em but your scared of the consequences.[/B]
youngXJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Texsun
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Copperas Cove, TX
Posts: 2,622
Looks good! However I just replaced my HID back to oem style lighting due to horrible fog, rain, and snow darkness driving with the hid light color. Maybe it's just me and my eyes but I feel safer without them... However in a clear night nothing beats um!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
moses21
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: hamburg, ny
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
Looks good! However I just replaced my HID back to oem style lighting due to horrible fog, rain, and snow darkness driving with the hid light color. Maybe it's just me and my eyes but I feel safer without them... However in a clear night nothing beats um!
How hard was it to see with these in bad weather?
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
imthehink
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 1,004
No offense, but I bet the light scatters everywhere and blinds people. You can't get the true benefit that hid has to offer with that setup. You need to retrofit for a complete upgrade. I would get a good harness and a set of good halogen bulbs and that will do wonders.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by imthehink View Post
No offense, but I bet the light scatters everywhere and blinds people. You can't get the true benefit that hid has to offer with that setup. You need to retrofit for a complete upgrade. I would get a good harness and a set of good halogen bulbs and that will do wonders.
I couldn't agree more. There is sooooo much bad information and hearsay out there about HID's, and people rarely ever do proper research to educate themselves. Don't even get me started on the idiots who think that bluer is better or that higher K is brighter. Slapping HID's into reflector housings is unsafe especially to other drivers, and it wastes light by not focusing it where you need it. People will scream all day long that "oh, but mine look good, and I made sure to aim them low enough not to blind oncoming drivers." Bull! If you somehow manage to truly aim them low enough not to dazzle traffic, then they're aimed terribly for your own purposes. sbxj has a pretty solid method of fitting projectors designed for HID's into XJ housings.

Look, I know you've already done your conversion, and I'm not looking to bum you out or make you feel like you made a big mistake. The good news is that you haven't wasted any money or parts yet because you still need reflector housings, HID's, and good wiring for sbxj's method. With a little more work and some good projectors, you can turn your conversion into a truly great HID conversion without undoing any of your previous work. Your lighting will be much better, and quite defensible in court should anyone try to bust you for illegal, dangerous lighting. Your current conversion would not hold-up at all, and you'd be paying fines.

sbxj's method here

Other really useful info about HID's here
and here

OP, you have a beautiful XJ. There's something I like about that nighttime shot from behind (regarding the whole rig, not the headlights).
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by imthehink View Post
No offense, but I bet the light scatters everywhere and blinds people. You can't get the true benefit that hid has to offer with that setup. You need to retrofit for a complete upgrade. I would get a good harness and a set of good halogen bulbs and that will do wonders.


X2, If your going to run HID do a proper retrofit, I have a upgraded harness decent bulbs and ecode housings my light pattern is much more crisp then my neighbors xj with hid's in h4 housings .

I will say I do have hid's on my XJ but they are in the offroad lights that were designed around the HID bulbs. Over the next few months I plan to add FXR projectors into new housings and hid's



ID Plug-n-Play Kits use halogen style bulb bases (H13, H7, 9007...etc.) that utilize your stock halogen unit for light control. This is NOT the correct way to achieve high performance lighting. This in fact creates excessive glare, un-desirable light patterns & can be dangerous!


A factory halogen reflector housing uses a specific focal point & reflector design to control light output. This design is based around a halogen bulb's 360 degrees of light output or illumination. A halogen bulb creates 360 degrees of light due to it's use of a filament.

HID bulbs have no filament for their light output. Light is created by an arc igniting gases inside the bulb capsule. When an HID bulb is lit or on, it also doesn't emit light in a 360 degree pattern such as a halogen bulb. The light output is more of a controlled pattern with the brightest light (off-white/ slight yellow) being emitted downward & center, and the slightly less bright light (whitish/blueish) being emitted at the ends of the arc.


Essentially a Plug-n-Play Kit takes an HID capsule and fits it onto a halogen style bulb base (H11, H7, 9004...etc.). When these kits are used in a halogen headlight setup, the control over light output is severely diminished. "Hot-Spots", glare & an un-desirable beam pattern are usually the end results.


A Plug-n-Play kit's HID components are typically not high quality. The ballasts, a very important component of any HID system, are usually not reliable, burn out due to moisture damage and/or draw an excessive amount of amperage from your wiring upon start up.

A Plug-n-Play Kit will certainly put more light on the road, assuming you use the proper Kelvin color temperature. However, it's not the correct kind of light. As stated above it creates "Hot-Spots", glare & an uncontrolled/undesirable beam pattern that are all un-safe and end up giving HID's in general a bad name.




HID Projectors





An HID Projector is what actually emits the light in a retrofit setup. It projects the light created from the HID bulb in a controlled pattern. HID Projectors are the heart of any Retrofit project.

An HID projector is an awesome little contraption. How often do you actually see one apart though ?

An HID Projector usually consists of a Back-Bowl, Bulb Holder, Front-Bowl, Lens and Cutoff shield. Bi-Xenon projectors have an additional component called a solenoid that moves the Cut-Off shield when required, to activate the high beam function.

The bulb holder does just that - keeps the HID bulb held Firmly in place/position. This is important as a mis-seated bulb can cause for an improper level of light output.

The back-bowl is what actually reflects the Xenon HID Bulb's Arc Light towards the front lens. The wider your back bowl is, generally, the wider & deeper your output beam can be. A good quality back-bowl is made from a cast metal. This allows for better strength, durability & reliability from the internal chrome finish.

The front-bowl is what holds & positions the lens in place. The projector lens is a critical piece for optimum light output. It's positioned in the front bowl for an optimum focusing so that the light output is clear, crisp and aimed properly.

A cutoff shield is what limits or shields the light output so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers or create excessive glare. This is what creates the light steps.

A bi-xenon solenoid is directly connected to the cutoff shield. This simply drops or lowers the cutoff shield with a 12 volt power supply to create a high beam light pattern.

__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
MCObray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orygun
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by imthehink View Post
No offense, but I bet the light scatters everywhere and blinds people. You can't get the true benefit that hid has to offer with that setup. You need to retrofit for a complete upgrade. I would get a good harness and a set of good halogen bulbs and that will do wonders.
X3.

People with not properly outfitted headlights are annoying.
__________________
1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited. E-Locker equipped.
MCObray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
ibjeepin95
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 4,093
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
GtiKyle
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 572
Nothing wrong with a few upgrades that make your vehicle better, even if it's not directly related to "wheeling better"
__________________
1998 Cherokee, 6.5" LA, D30/C8.25 4.56 locked F/R, 35" MTR's, other goodies ...
Build thread : [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/zombie-rescue-unit-1-a-1272741/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/zombie-rescue-unit-1-a-1272741/[/URL]
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
ibjeepin95
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiKyle View Post
Nothing wrong with a few upgrades that make your vehicle better, even if it's not directly related to "wheeling better"
True. I forgot some people like to make their XJ's fit in with "The Fast and the Furious" crowd. Nothing wrong with brighter lights, but the stuff this dude is running are the lights that piss off everyone else on the road.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
GtiKyle
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
True. I forgot some people like to make their XJ's fit in with "The Fast and the Furious" crowd. Nothing wrong with brighter lights, but the stuff this dude is running are the lights that piss off everyone else on the road.
Agreed, your point just seemed to come across as hating on a lighting upgrade because it doesn't make it wheel better. But you're right, If you're not going to do it right, don't bother doing it.
__________________
1998 Cherokee, 6.5" LA, D30/C8.25 4.56 locked F/R, 35" MTR's, other goodies ...
Build thread : [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/zombie-rescue-unit-1-a-1272741/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/zombie-rescue-unit-1-a-1272741/[/URL]
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
ibjeepin95
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiKyle View Post
Agreed, your point just seemed to come across as hating on a lighting upgrade because it doesn't make it wheel better. But you're right, If you're not going to do it right, don't bother doing it.
Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I just get tired of seeing useless upgrades done to Jeeps. Didn't you and I have this discussion before?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
jeepkid03
Winning
 
jeepkid03's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Storrs, CT
Posts: 5,831
Nice smurf headlights
__________________
-Josh

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
youngXJlover
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 25
The stock XJ headlight harness is complete trash... I upgraded to the HID system because I could not see 5 feet in front of me on the highway, as well as NOTHING on the trails. Not to mention this used to be my daily driver and you kind of need a good headlight beam for a daily driver. I bought a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado a couple months ago, this is the reason for not replying. I will agree with everyone however: HID's are GARBAGE and I will be removing them since it is now just my toy. Thank you to everyone for the input even though it was not exactly great to hear! hahhaha
__________________
[B]2000 jeep xj[/B] - 5.5 skyjacker lift, bushwacker flares, custom fabrications front and rear bumpers, 33 DC mud country's, 12000lbs PTO winch, HID fogs and headlights, d30 locked, c8.25 locked, raptor bedliner.
[B]1995 chev silverado[/B] - 2" bds lift, jacked out trailering gear!

[B]Mud holes are like chicks with std's, you wanna hit em but your scared of the consequences.[/B]
youngXJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
Tru2Chevy
Senior Member
 
Tru2Chevy's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ewing, New Jersey
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngXJlover View Post
I will agree with everyone however: HID's are GARBAGE
That's not what was said above though....HIDs are great, as long as you do it right. Do a proper retrofit as stated, and don't buy bulbs for cool blue / purple colors. Stick to 4300k - 5000k temp bulbs for true bright white light.

- Justin
__________________
1992 Cherokee Laredo - all stock, DD. Needs some minor rust repair, then on to the mods!

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.