JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Jeep xj HID conversion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/jeep-xj-hid-conversion-1453154/)

youngXJlover 12-21-2012 11:57 PM

Jeep xj HID conversion

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, installed my new HID system last month and finally getting around to putting pictures up. Also recieved my JeepForum decal :thumbsup: Enjoy!
Officially supporting JeepForum now!

Texsun 12-22-2012 12:14 AM

Looks good! However I just replaced my HID back to oem style lighting due to horrible fog, rain, and snow darkness driving with the hid light color. Maybe it's just me and my eyes but I feel safer without them... However in a clear night nothing beats um!

moses21 12-22-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texsun (Post 14655147)
Looks good! However I just replaced my HID back to oem style lighting due to horrible fog, rain, and snow darkness driving with the hid light color. Maybe it's just me and my eyes but I feel safer without them... However in a clear night nothing beats um!

How hard was it to see with these in bad weather?

imthehink 12-22-2012 09:10 AM

No offense, but I bet the light scatters everywhere and blinds people. You can't get the true benefit that hid has to offer with that setup. You need to retrofit for a complete upgrade. I would get a good harness and a set of good halogen bulbs and that will do wonders.

mschi772 12-22-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthehink (Post 14656138)
No offense, but I bet the light scatters everywhere and blinds people. You can't get the true benefit that hid has to offer with that setup. You need to retrofit for a complete upgrade. I would get a good harness and a set of good halogen bulbs and that will do wonders.

I couldn't agree more. There is sooooo much bad information and hearsay out there about HID's, and people rarely ever do proper research to educate themselves. Don't even get me started on the idiots who think that bluer is better or that higher K is brighter. Slapping HID's into reflector housings is unsafe especially to other drivers, and it wastes light by not focusing it where you need it. People will scream all day long that "oh, but mine look good, and I made sure to aim them low enough not to blind oncoming drivers." Bull! If you somehow manage to truly aim them low enough not to dazzle traffic, then they're aimed terribly for your own purposes. sbxj has a pretty solid method of fitting projectors designed for HID's into XJ housings.

Look, I know you've already done your conversion, and I'm not looking to bum you out or make you feel like you made a big mistake. The good news is that you haven't wasted any money or parts yet because you still need reflector housings, HID's, and good wiring for sbxj's method. With a little more work and some good projectors, you can turn your conversion into a truly great HID conversion without undoing any of your previous work. Your lighting will be much better, and quite defensible in court should anyone try to bust you for illegal, dangerous lighting. Your current conversion would not hold-up at all, and you'd be paying fines.

sbxj's method here

Other really useful info about HID's here
and here

OP, you have a beautiful XJ. There's something I like about that nighttime shot from behind (regarding the whole rig, not the headlights).

Tom95YJ 12-22-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

X2, If your going to run HID do a proper retrofit, I have a upgraded harness decent bulbs and ecode housings my light pattern is much more crisp then my neighbors xj with hid's in h4 housings .

I will say I do have hid's on my XJ but they are in the offroad lights that were designed around the HID bulbs. Over the next few months I plan to add FXR projectors into new housings and hid's

ID Plug-n-Play Kits use halogen style bulb bases (H13, H7, 9007...etc.) that utilize your stock halogen unit for light control. This is NOT the correct way to achieve high performance lighting. This in fact creates excessive glare, un-desirable light patterns & can be dangerous!

A factory halogen reflector housing uses a specific focal point & reflector design to control light output. This design is based around a halogen bulb's 360 degrees of light output or illumination. A halogen bulb creates 360 degrees of light due to it's use of a filament.

HID bulbs have no filament for their light output. Light is created by an arc igniting gases inside the bulb capsule. When an HID bulb is lit or on, it also doesn't emit light in a 360 degree pattern such as a halogen bulb. The light output is more of a controlled pattern with the brightest light (off-white/ slight yellow) being emitted downward & center, and the slightly less bright light (whitish/blueish) being emitted at the ends of the arc.

Essentially a Plug-n-Play Kit takes an HID capsule and fits it onto a halogen style bulb base (H11, H7, 9004...etc.). When these kits are used in a halogen headlight setup, the control over light output is severely diminished. "Hot-Spots", glare & an un-desirable beam pattern are usually the end results.

A Plug-n-Play kit's HID components are typically not high quality. The ballasts, a very important component of any HID system, are usually not reliable, burn out due to moisture damage and/or draw an excessive amount of amperage from your wiring upon start up.

A Plug-n-Play Kit will certainly put more light on the road, assuming you use the proper Kelvin color temperature. However, it's not the correct kind of light. As stated above it creates "Hot-Spots", glare & an uncontrolled/undesirable beam pattern that are all un-safe and end up giving HID's in general a bad name.

HID Projectors

An HID Projector is what actually emits the light in a retrofit setup. It projects the light created from the HID bulb in a controlled pattern. HID Projectors are the heart of any Retrofit project.

An HID projector is an awesome little contraption. How often do you actually see one apart though ?

An HID Projector usually consists of a Back-Bowl, Bulb Holder, Front-Bowl, Lens and Cutoff shield. Bi-Xenon projectors have an additional component called a solenoid that moves the Cut-Off shield when required, to activate the high beam function.

The bulb holder does just that - keeps the HID bulb held Firmly in place/position. This is important as a mis-seated bulb can cause for an improper level of light output.

The back-bowl is what actually reflects the Xenon HID Bulb's Arc Light towards the front lens. The wider your back bowl is, generally, the wider & deeper your output beam can be. A good quality back-bowl is made from a cast metal. This allows for better strength, durability & reliability from the internal chrome finish.

The front-bowl is what holds & positions the lens in place. The projector lens is a critical piece for optimum light output. It's positioned in the front bowl for an optimum focusing so that the light output is clear, crisp and aimed properly.

A cutoff shield is what limits or shields the light output so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers or create excessive glare. This is what creates the light steps.

A bi-xenon solenoid is directly connected to the cutoff shield. This simply drops or lowers the cutoff shield with a 12 volt power supply to create a high beam light pattern.

http://sportsautotech.com/wp-content...ff-output1.jpg

MCObray 12-22-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

X3.

People with not properly outfitted headlights are annoying.

ibjeepin95 12-22-2012 03:26 PM

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf2206daf.jpg

GtiKyle 12-22-2012 03:53 PM

Nothing wrong with a few upgrades that make your vehicle better, even if it's not directly related to "wheeling better"

ibjeepin95 12-22-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GtiKyle (Post 14657957)
Nothing wrong with a few upgrades that make your vehicle better, even if it's not directly related to "wheeling better"

True. I forgot some people like to make their XJ's fit in with "The Fast and the Furious" crowd. Nothing wrong with brighter lights, but the stuff this dude is running are the lights that piss off everyone else on the road.

GtiKyle 12-22-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 (Post 14658083)
True. I forgot some people like to make their XJ's fit in with "The Fast and the Furious" crowd. Nothing wrong with brighter lights, but the stuff this dude is running are the lights that piss off everyone else on the road.

Agreed, your point just seemed to come across as hating on a lighting upgrade because it doesn't make it wheel better. But you're right, If you're not going to do it right, don't bother doing it.

ibjeepin95 12-22-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GtiKyle (Post 14658164)
Agreed, your point just seemed to come across as hating on a lighting upgrade because it doesn't make it wheel better. But you're right, If you're not going to do it right, don't bother doing it.

Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I just get tired of seeing useless upgrades done to Jeeps. Didn't you and I have this discussion before? :laugh:

jeepkid03 12-22-2012 08:53 PM

Nice smurf headlights

youngXJlover 06-14-2013 10:08 PM

The stock XJ headlight harness is complete trash... I upgraded to the HID system because I could not see 5 feet in front of me on the highway, as well as NOTHING on the trails. Not to mention this used to be my daily driver and you kind of need a good headlight beam for a daily driver. I bought a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado a couple months ago, this is the reason for not replying. I will agree with everyone however: HID's are GARBAGE and I will be removing them since it is now just my toy. Thank you to everyone for the input even though it was not exactly great to hear! hahhaha

Tru2Chevy 06-15-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngXJlover (Post 15563500)
I will agree with everyone however: HID's are GARBAGE

That's not what was said above though....HIDs are great, as long as you do it right. Do a proper retrofit as stated, and don't buy bulbs for cool blue / purple colors. Stick to 4300k - 5000k temp bulbs for true bright white light.

- Justin

The time now is 06:45 PM.