Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
airman401
1994 ZJ 

Looking great! I love the trailhawk!

airman401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
MuddyBottoms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Short up date.
I finally got the hood back on. I still need to do the accent colors but the black is done.
[IMG][/IMG]

As I mentioned I broke most of the bolts while removing the old hardware to install the lift. I still have a few items to button up to complete the install mainly the rear shocks. After looking through the forms I decided to take what seemed to be the easiest method to getting the broken bolts out of the upper rear shock mounts. So I started by removing the rear interior trim which requires removing the seat belts (I recommend a big breaker bar for this). Then I pulled the carpet back. Once the rear was exposed I drilled pilot holes from the center of the shock mount from the bottom up into the cab. I then measured the mount and transferred the measurements to the inside of the Jeep using the pilot hole as the center guide (see the pics below). I then cut the area out and began soaking the top of bolts with PB blaster. I now just have to extract the bolts (still working on this).
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I finally got the Jeep out on the highway after installing the lift and I discovered I have the dreaded Death Wobble. After consulting my local Jeep shop V3 (http://v3jeepshop.com/) they recommended that I get the tires balanced and then get an alignment. They also recommend that I get an adjustable track bar in order to get a proper alignment, so I ordered on from RC. I plan on getting new tires and the alignment this week so we will see if this corrects the Death Wobble.

Still to do. Once I get the Jeep driving correctly I need to flex it out to measure for bumps and then add some recovery points, then it will be time to get it out on the trail.
MuddyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
ramthis426
2005 WK 

Nice looking build
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
MuddyBottoms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Spent last night drilling and taping the upper shock mounts and finally got the rear shocks installed.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
MuddyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
CaptHowdy
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looking nice. New owner from Kentucky here also.
CaptHowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good man!

I did the rear shock bolts that way on my first XJ, it was a huge pain. When my last XJ snapped those bolts I did it a bit different and it went much smoother. The weld nuts up there are just tacked in so I knocked em out with a hammer and punch and fished new bolts in with wire. Was done in 20 mins lol. I wish I had known that the first time.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #22
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I managed to not break any of my upper shock bolts, but snapped off one of the studs welded to the rear axle.

Drilling out hardened steel is actually really fun -said no one ever
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.