Jeep Cherokee 4 wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Jeep Cherokee 4 wheel drive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep Cherokee 4 wheel drive

I need a little insight on our 4 wheel drive systems. I have the command-trac transfer-case, does that mean when I put it in part time both my differentials are locked?

Anyway here's the story, I went mudding withing a Ford Ranger with Mud Terrains and a Dodge Ram with all terrains. I have a completely stock Cherokee with road tires (keep that in mind,) I also kept the transfer-case in part time. All out vehicles had about 30psi in the tires when we went through the sand, both ended up getting stuck, but I was the only one who got through the sand with ease? The next part surprised the crap out of me, both trucks went through a muddy puddle that just about put the headlights underwater, I went through and I put the whole damn hood underwater and still came out behind them following along (scared the **** out of me, water splashed right up covering the windshield aswell.) That night I ended up losing a license plate, left rear bumper cap and my stock fog lights are filled with water.

Was I able to get through all of this because of how our Jeeps are built or is it a combination of both, knowing how to maneuver a 4 wheel vehicle and how well it's built?

Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Part-Time 4x4 locks the front and rear axles together.

Driver skills are more important than equipment. It does help that the XJ is lightweight, well balanced, and has lots of low end torque.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
zuki_06

Congrats on the wheeling adventures! Jeeps are very capable in the right hands. Water is one of your biggest enemies, The air box is right behind your driver side headlight fyi! Water in intake = hydrolock and or bent/broke rod! Make a snorkel and learn to drive through water. Even shallow water is dangerous if you drive through it too fast. Remember always grease up all your zerks everywhere and check your Diffs and tcase fluids after every time you play in water!
zuki_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok since we have Locked differentials in part time, why do I hear about people putting in stuff called lunchboxes, or other sorts of locking mechanisms in there Cherokees. Whats's that all about? Thats what always confused me.
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yes your driving and just the XJ's being awesome was part of that, my buddy has a Bronco lifted 6-8 inches on 35's and its a beast but took it through sand his bogged down real bad and I went right on by him in 4hi wasnt even in 4 lo I was cruising in that sand, it was sweet, the XJ's are just that freaking awesome!..
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
zuki_06

A locked axle means both tires spin together at the same time on that axle, most differentials are open. A locker enables you to manually lock the differential when you please. Lincoln locking your diff refers to welding (lincoln welder) the spider gears together, I wouldn't recommend welding the front if you drive it on the street. Some rear ends have LSD which stands for Limited Slip Differential. LSD is what it sounds like, When one tire spins or slips too much the LSD engages and spins both together when they work properly.
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/what-why-do-i-need-locker-i-thought-i-had-4wd-242949/

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
zuki_06

Excellent link!
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice linked, I actually was curious on which was better to do the manual or auto lockers, and also front or rear or both, I have a C8.25 in the rear and a d30 up front, the brake thing works but only part of the time, I would love to have the Front locked just in case, but mine is a DD and dont want to screw things up.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Whatever works for you or fits the budget is best.

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Manual lockers nice because they are much cheaper than buying a complete differential unit. A downfall in those is the skill level it takes to install them. If youve never taken apart the internals of an open diff and dont have the correct tools, it can prove to be very difficult. Its not something that can be thrown in and be done with. Since all of the internals are coming apart, you need special tools to measure backlash in the gears as well as backlash between the unit itself with the carrier and bearings themselves. It can be a lot of trial and error messing with shims, torqueing everything and re checking all your measurements. The nice thing about buying a complete unit is the install is a little more straight forward. You still will need to figure out the backlash with the gears and differential bearings, but your not dealing with the smaller internal parts. And if you plan on taking all of that apart, my suggestion is to replace the diff bearings and pinion bearings. Might aswell do it while its all apart than to have to do it at a later date.
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You seem to have your terms a bit confused. There are 2 types of differential lockers, automatic or selectable. Some auto lockers can be installed by anybody, in their driveway, with a few hand tools. Commonly these are called lunch box locker such as the Lock Right, Aussie, and PowerTrax No-Slip. Full case automatic lockers like a Detroit and selectable lockers like an ARB require technical skills and specialized tools to install.

If you are not changing gear ratios, a lunch box locker is your best value. If you are changing gear ratios, a full locker and an overhaul of the complete differential with new bearings is your best value.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.