Jeep Buying Advice Wanted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Jeep Buying Advice Wanted

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Audiomechanic

Jeep Buying Advice Wanted

So, I'm on the lookout for a XJ to replace my 99 Ram. Wanting something more useable than a regular cab truck. The XJ in my mind fits the bill pretty perfectly. Now, the XJ I'm wanting is apparently rare as hell: a 5-speed 4WD. I just don't like auto tranmissions, even though I've heard many good things about the AW4.

At any rate, I found this gem about 3 hours away from me.

It's been on autotrader for more than 2-3 months at that same price. It's a bit more than I was hoping to spend. My cap is really about 6 grand and the mileage is a small put off but I know the XJs are almost un-killable so I'm not that worried about it.

Here's the thing though: the XJ I buy will likely spend the vast majority of it's life (or at least its life for the next while) on pavement. There's almost no where close in this part of Texas to go wheel, plus I don't know anyone to go with, plus I've been perpetually broke for the past 3 years and that has kept me from wheeling my truck.

That rig above has some pretty impressive upgrades (to me anway, the n00b that I am), so would it be worth it to subject that poor thing to pavement duty for a while, or should I keep hunting down a more stock illusive stick XJ?

Thanks in advance for opinions, advice, cool story bros, and all that. Sorry for the long read.

Audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well if you're wanting opinions... and they actually matter... here is mine.

IMHO go with one that is stock, or as close to stock as possible. if you buy a vehicle that has mods on it the PO may end up having mods done to it that they may forget to mention. whereas if you've done it all yourself you know exactly what its got.

there is also the "built, not bought" thing, you can take more pride in saying you built that rig. yes the XJ is indestructible however, get one that was owned by a not so hardcore jeep owner. that more than likely means it won't have nearly the same issues as somebody who beat on it.

i personally would much rather start off with a blank canvas and something that i know hasn't been ****ed up.

my vote is continue the search for a lower priced one. in my experience with XJs, mileage doesn't really matter because of how tough they are.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think you should definitely hold off. that one doesnt seem to be a good deal at all. You are right, the 5 spd XJ's are starting to get very rare, however if you would be willing to travel you WILL find one with a better price and lower mileage. Let me tell you my little trick when I search for jeeps. First go on google, then in the search bar type in "site:craigslist.org" followed by the year make and model and other features that you desire. For example you could type in "site:craigslist.org 1999 Jeep Cherokee 5 speed". This way you can find one that is relatively close to you. Below is a link of what you should be searching. Good luck

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...e+1999+5+speed
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Check southeasttexas if you havent already.
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Nick
2006 WK 

x2 on holding off. Yes, the manual tranny is somewhat of a rarity, but they do exist. Almost 7K for an XJ with 190K on the clock is way too much.

And, I too would recommend buying one that is stock, or as close to stock as possible. Especially if it will be a pavement queen. Have you thought about looking into the WJ?
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Audiomechanic

Thanks everyone. Everyone's points about holding off makes a lot of sense and I will heed this advice and hold off.

Thanks for the searching tip! I wish there was a way to omit a term in a search. I.e. omit the word "grand" so a search for a cherokee doesn't yield 10,000 grand cherokee results and 6 actual XJ Cherokees.

Far as the WJ, I like the XJ better. BUT...the Grand Cherokees are far more plentiful. How do they compare to the XJ? Are they heavier? 5-speed option? I don't need the leather, sun roof, added electronics and such a lot of the grands seem to have (to appeal to the soccer moms no doubt).

Thanks again, gents! I suppose I was just getting antsy because sticks are so hard to find.
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Aduffy32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is a way to omit certain words. Just put a minus sign in front of the words you want to omit for example
"-grand"
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Audiomechanic

Sweet! Thank you, sir.

Upon a quick initial search, Texas sucks. The vast majority are in upper mid-west. Wtf? Hopefully something turns up soon. I'm really starting to hate driving my truck. Not that it'a a bad truck, it's just not what I want/need anymore.
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomechanic View Post
Far as the WJ, I like the XJ better. BUT...the Grand Cherokees are far more plentiful. How do they compare to the XJ? Are they heavier? 5-speed option? I don't need the leather, sun roof, added electronics and such a lot of the grands seem to have (to appeal to the soccer moms no doubt).
I've owned both - and greatly prefer my V8 WJ, and I get the same gas mileage as my I6 XJ.

The WJ is a little bit heavier, by about 500 pounds. As for the electronics, leather, etc, all of that is easily avoided by not getting a limited. This will also decrease curb weight.

The only suggestion I have, would be to try to find a V8, non limited, with the select trac 4WD - the Jeep without the quadra drive system. That way, since it will mainly be on pavement you will have the option of 2WD.

Quote:
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I've owned both - and greatly prefer my V8 WJ, and I get the same gas mileage as my I6 XJ.

The WJ is a little bit heavier, by about 500 pounds. As for the electronics, leather, etc, all of that is easily avoided by not getting a limited. This will also decrease curb weight.

The only suggestion I have, would be to try to find a V8, non limited, with the select trac 4WD - the Jeep without the quadra drive system. That way, since it will mainly be on pavement you will have the option of 2WD.
x2

my buddy has a WJ (who is a member here) and that thing is like a really comfortable tank with a V8.

i like it a lot, enough that if i had the money i'd get one as well. although he's got a 6 inch lift and 33s with a roof rack and an ARB bumper, so it looks like a tank.

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Audiomechanic

Hmm...interesting. is the t-case electronic or does it have the shift lever on the floor (I prefer the lever...I don't trust electronics and I work in IT )? Do they come in 5-speed? I'm assuming the V8 is either thw 5.2 or 5.9 magnum right? If so, my truck has the 5.9 in it now so I'm already familiar with it (good and bad).

Thanks, gentlemen.
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4.7 or 4.7 HO and they only come in automatic.

if you google the interior of the WJ you'll be able to see, IIRC the sticks are right next to each other in front of the center console or whatever it's called.

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Nick
2006 WK 

Yep, it has a manual shifter. It's right next to the transmission shifter.
And, it is the same 4.7L V8 that comes in the Dodge Dakota.

Quote:
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
4.7 or 4.7 HO and they only come in automatic.
Poopers. I really really really want a stick shift vehicle. My truck is auto and I hate it. I guess I'm kind of a control freak. How DARE the transmission tell ME what rpm to shift at!
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Nick
2006 WK 

And, it does have a drawback of a 4 speed tranny.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.