Jeep Air Intakes - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Jeep Air Intakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #31
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
mine is doing pretty good, its alotttt of up keep to keep it running right. my autoshop teacher at my high school designed and guided me threw building that set up. it works great, no B.S.
what kind of up keep are you talking? and whats your results prior to the setup and now? OP-sorry to hijack this thread a bit

lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #32
dkg4244
1983 CJ8 

Take a look at cowl snorkels. It seems to be the best solution for a Jeep that sees the dirt. The K&N and other cone filters don't filter as well as the stock paper filter setup. My cowl snorkel cost me $15 and retains the filtration of the stock setup while adding water fording ability. I have dunked it up to the hood in water, driven in snow, driving rain, mud, and my filter has never gotten wet.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...orkel-1053289/
dkg4244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg4244
Take a look at cowl snorkels. It seems to be the best solution for a Jeep that sees the dirt. The K&N and other cone filters don't filter as well as the stock paper filter setup. My cowl snorkel cost me $15 and retains the filtration of the stock setup while adding water fording ability. I have dunked it up to the hood in water, driven in snow, driving rain, mud, and my filter has never gotten wet.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...orkel-1053289/
I like the snorkel idea, but i never drive on water jajaja
But with the cowl snorkel where comes the cold air???
Masaga91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #34
dkg4244
1983 CJ8 

The cowl snorkel intakes air through the vent at the base of the windshield, giving you nice cold air.
dkg4244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #35
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualPurposeXJ View Post
Ya it should help but what I would recommend is to re-route the intake into the cab for cleaner/cooler air
like so
loud, lol
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #36
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg4244
The cowl snorkel intakes air through the vent at the base of the windshield, giving you nice cold air.
And it really works???
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #37
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaga91 View Post
And it really works???
Very well from what I hear.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #38
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

damm i think i'm forgetting the cold air intake and do the cowl intake mod

but the cowl mod keeps the same performance or improves it?
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #39
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaga91 View Post
damm i think i'm forgetting the cold air intake and do the cowl intake mod

but the cowl mod keeps the same performance or improves it?
Very few people who do a cowl intake are doing it for the performance. They are usually doing it to raise the intake for water crossings. So, most could care less about performance (well they probably do care, but improved performance is not their goal with the modified intake).

To answer your question though, theoretically you are pulling colder air, which is a plus for performance. you are also usually adding an extra sharp bend, which may slightly hurt performance. All in all, probably no noticeable difference.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #40
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did mine strickly for performance purposes and yes it does add power. I love when people theorize about stuff they've never done. And where's the added sharp bend? Stop it please.

Mine goes straight from the throttle body to the cowl and make a slight maybe 10* turn into the filter. The tubing is smoother, no flexy hoses, and the filter flows more are so there's is one way and then there's the fact that your getting colder air, hundreds of degrees colder probably, so that is a big help too.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #41
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

yeah you know, i don't think about crossing water with my xj, i want to imporve the perfomance and power of the car
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #42
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsjeepxj View Post
I did mine strickly for performance purposes and yes it does add power. I love when people theorize about stuff they've never done. And where's the added sharp bend? Stop it please.

Mine goes straight from the throttle body to the cowl and make a slight maybe 10* turn into the filter. The tubing is smoother, no flexy hoses, and the filter flows more are so there's is one way and then there's the fact that your getting colder air, hundreds of degrees colder probably, so that is a big help too.
how you did your cowl intake???
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #43
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsjeepxj View Post

First, I need to make clear that I never meant to imply that a cowl intake does not draw in air that is much, much cooler than drawing in air from under the hood. I don't mean to dispute that, it clearly draws in cold outside air. I don't think I phrased my original post very clearly in regards to this.

Second, while I have not yet done this, I am currently gathering parts for it and have read more than a few threads about them, so I'm not completely uninformed on the subject. I went and looked at your write-up, and have to say it is rather different from most cowl intakes I've seen (btw, excellent job with the write-up, I will be utilizing some of it when I do mine).

You are the only person I've seen go through the firewall where you did, which does not introduce an extra bend. Most I've seen are closer to EricsXJ's version, which does have the extra bend I was referring to. You are also one of the few who went to extra trouble to avoid having any corrugated plastic or flex hose to ensure smooth airflow. You are the exception to the rule, and while I commend you for your efforts and I'm sure they work better than what most people do, I believe my original generalization stands:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend
Very few people who do a cowl intake are doing it for the performance. They are usually doing it to raise the intake for water crossings.
I'm not saying it doesn't help performance or that it can't help performance, or that people don't do it for that reason, just that performance isn't USUALLY the primary motivation. I'm not trying to discount your performance gains, but you are the exception to the rule and went to a lot more trouble than most to get them.

P.S. I really do like your version of the cowl intake much better than EricsXJ, for all the advantages you state. It gets rid of the bends, uses a smooth air tube, and requires fewer things under hood to be moved. I will be modifying my parts list accordingly.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #44
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

sooo i think i hit a crossroad, don't know if doing the cowl intake or the air intake with the hood vent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.