Jeep Air Intakes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Jeep Air Intakes

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-12-2011, 03:29 AM   #16
AoA
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaga91 View Post
so i'm planning on buying the k&n, is it worth it??
which K&N? the flat stock box filter, or the full kit?

93' ZJ 4"of lift, 31's - Totaled
AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well if you wanted a cold air intake and are planning on spending 100 bucks, why not just spend the extra dough and get a snorkel? That sucks in very fresh air lol

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoA View Post
which K&N? the flat stock box filter, or the full kit?
the full kit
Masaga91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yep. Hot air from engine bay adds 15 hp. Do they send a xxx tape with that kit so you can see somebody besides yourself get screwed? I wouldnt believe it until I see dyno results. I went through the same thing though. I made one and only noticed a large difference in my exhaust note and a small acceleration gain. Regardless of what you get your probably still sucking hot air. Snorkel would look good and be functional as well. be wary of hp promises...
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
Kitchen
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
yeah um.. your going to need to give me some info on how that HHO setup you have is going for you. im planning on doing it to mine soon
mine is doing pretty good, its alotttt of up keep to keep it running right. my autoshop teacher at my high school designed and guided me threw building that set up. it works great, no B.S.
Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kitchen-xj-build-1144692/[/url]

- 03 TJ Rubi
4 inches on 35 baja MTZs
Stock rubi stuff(D44s, lockers, skids, etc...)[/B]
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I see where alot of people put cone filters and cold air kits to increase air flow. The problem I see is most people do not correct the the main culprit to air flow on the 4.0, which is the corrugated elbow at the TB.
At the ends of the elbow, the areas are smooth and cause little or no obstruction to flow. The corrugation on the other hand, causes turbulence which disrupts air flow. To solve this problem, I removed the tube and inserted a piece of 2.5 inch exaust pipe, just long enough to cover the corrugated section of the tube. Lubricated with silicone spray, so that it slid in easier, the metal provided a smooth transition from inlet to outlet of the tube, while still being flexible enough to remove to change air filter. I prevoiusly installed a K&N panel filter in the stock air box, as well as removing the block off plate from the front header panel.

Using a digital air flow meter to measure air flow at the air inlet before and after this mod, the results were a 7 cfm increase in air flow at idle. I still need to take some readings at different RPMs but I didn't have a helper at the time. Removing the turbulence wil increases air flow at all RPMs.
Total cost of mod: K&N filter $48 Exhaust pipe $5
Unread 05-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Going by the seat of the pants dyno, I noticed an increased throttle response after installing my K&N FIPK. When I went for the intake, I also dropped in some edlebrock headers to replace the stock manifold, and replaced all the old exhaust piping, and added a high flow cat. I did the exhaust work about a week before the FIPK drop in, and had good tone, and after the FIPK, I noticed it gave a bit deeper tone, espeically when going WOT.

As for MPG increases, I'd say they're marginal at best.
After having my K&N kit for 2 years, I'd say the best feature is the million mile warranty on the washable filter.
Overall though, now I'm thinking about throwing a snorkel on it just because like everyone else has stated, drawing in warm air doesn't make much of a difference.
DullesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check out the Thor cowl induction setup. Same as a home brew, but with a nice plate to mount to the firewall.

I like the cowl induction idea the best. Isolate the hot engine compartment from the cold air charge, nice cold dense air FTW. I also like the idea of a snorkel, but it would be overkill for me...as I never ford any rivers and don't wheel enough to make it worth it.

Personally I used a K&N drop in filter along with exhaust and induction mods. WAY better acceleration and seat of the pants feel, but probably minimal HP gains and only marginally better gas mileage.

The colder the air the better...

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

same here, the snorkel doesn't work for me, never take my jeep through water, so why the snorkel, so i'm planning on doing the K&N air intake, then change the full exhaust pipe, from the headers to a nice high flow cat (probably the magnaflow, is the one i like the most hahahah)
Unread 05-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #25
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

K&Ns are junk. They let in way too much dust for what you pay and how little you gain. I've witnessed it with the panel filter on my own Jeep. I wouldn't say a cold air intake is useless, but it has to be setup right, meaning actually get cold air. You are much better off buying a cone filter, and making your own heat shield to seal it off instead of paying 200 bucks for a K&N. Granted, it won't be a "Cold" intake, but cooler air than the stock airbox. Cone filters also have more surface area so they can pull in more air. I noticed a difference in throttle response and gained about 1 mpg (verified by scan gauge 2 and months of spread sheets). I wouldn't buy an intake unless you plan to properly shield it though.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #26
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

so i was thinking of putting the k&n, and to maximize the cold air flow i was thinking of putting a hood vent like the ones in the l200, well probably half the size, on top of the air intake to maximize the cold air flow, in theory sounds like a good idea, what you guys think of that???????
mitsubishi-l200.jpg  
1405351186744040_1.jpg

Unread 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #27
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Regarding the K&N kit...I just actually took mine off today. There are two studies out there (one on bobistheoilguy.com and the other on a Ford truck forum) that confirmed K&N filters are the worst out there. Yes they let in more air, but they also let in more crap. Additionally, if you look at the K&N dyno (even if you believe the results) you'll notice that any of the small gains don't even register until around 2.5K RPM. I honestly can't remember the last time I exceeded 3K RPMs.

Here is the BITOG study...http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
If you search for the Ford one you can find it. If I recall correctly, the K&N filter was 96.7% efficient and this was significantly less than any other tested.

I am NOT hating on the K&N system. This is my opinion, and here's what I would have done differently. If you're looking for gains from the intake side of things rather than the exhaust, I'd recommend a 62mm throttle body. Jeepersandcreepers has one for less than the cost of the K&N system. All this being said, if anyone is still interested, I'll gladly sell you my K&N system!
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #28
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If your gonna run a k&n and plan to use it offroad get the pre filter for it. Like posted above me they do let in more than just air
DualPurposeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #29
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

look k&n is the brand that i thing, but if you have another brand that is better you can tell, i'm not sold on one brand, i like to have options, but you didn't read my post, the question is, does the hood vent on top of the air intake should work properly in giving a constant cold air flow

and i do off road once every 3 months, that's not my main idea, the car is my dd
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
DualPurposeXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaga91 View Post
look k&n is the brand that i thing, but if you have another brand that is better you can tell, i'm not sold on one brand, i like to have options, but you didn't read my post, the question is, does the hood vent on top of the air intake should work properly in giving a constant cold air flow

and i do off road once every 3 months, that's not my main idea, the car is my dd
Ya it should help but what I would recommend is to re-route the intake into the cab for cleaner/cooler air
like so
DualPurposeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.