jeep 4banger good deal or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > jeep 4banger good deal or not?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Reply
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
AM92
Member
 
AM92's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 139
jeep 4banger good deal or not?

allright jeepers.

I'm on the verge of buying a 1993 4banger 2wd 2door 5 speed with just under 165 k for pretty much under 1g i already own a 1992 with 6cyl 5 speed 4 door 4x4 wheeling only.

ive heard the 2.5l also known as the iron dukes are bullet proof motors or so ive heard

the real pros are low maintenance and some what decent mpgs

cons sucks on the high way and only good in town

The main purpose is to daily drive.
really what are ways to make the motor last awhile? I've heard people use lucas and swear by it
what axle may i have?
transmission?
4.10s only in the rear? dont know much about these models...
I also have ac factory option my other jeep was after market installed considering it came from arizona.

also am I getting a good deal?

AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 1,620
I'd happily daily drive a 5 speed 2.5 XJ. The 2.5 is basically the same engine as the 4.0 but with 2 fewer cylinders. Anything you've ever read about the 4.0 applies equally to the 2.5 in terms of maint./reliability.

If you want to know if it's a good deal, you should probably tell us the price.
__________________
2002-2009 1983 Chevy El Camino
2009-2011 1994 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
2011-Pres 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
AM92
Member
 
AM92's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I'd happily daily drive a 5 speed 2.5 XJ. The 2.5 is basically the same engine as the 4.0 but with 2 fewer cylinders. Anything you've ever read about the 4.0 applies equally to the 2.5 in terms of maint./reliability.

If you want to know if it's a good deal, you should probably tell us the price.
I'm picking it up for 800
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
cbenez1
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 1,569
It's still 4wd and it's still a brick on wheels so if your buying it thinking your going to get great fuel mileage you'll be sadly disappointed. However if it is clean and stops & go's under it's own power I think it sounds like a good deal. It's a 2 dr 5spd, that alone ups the cool factor.
__________________
A nation that "forgets" it's defenders, Will itself be "forgotten". Semper fi
91 XJ 4.0 5spd 5.5 on 32's, flat flares, sand camo'd. "Battle Wagon"
01 XJ 'Up Country' 3.5 on 29's former fire vehicle. Bright red. "Fire Wagon"
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 1,620
The one the OP is talking about isn't 4wd, and I've seen multiple 2wd 5-speed XJ's approach 30 mpg when cared for and driven appropriately with only a little modification. A 2.5 2wd XJ isn't much more than a glorified wagon, but I'd love to have one nonetheless; no preference on door number.
__________________
2002-2009 1983 Chevy El Camino
2009-2011 1994 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
2011-Pres 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
AM92
Member
 
AM92's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 139
sweet! ill post pics when i get it!
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
cbenez1
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
The one the OP is talking about isn't 4wd, and I've seen multiple 2wd 5-speed XJ's approach 30 mpg when cared for and driven appropriately with only a little modification. A 2.5 2wd XJ isn't much more than a glorified wagon, but I'd love to have one nonetheless; no preference on door number.
Ok so it will be a 4cyl 2wd brick that doesn't get great fuel mileage and does not do well in poor driving conditions. But its still a cool truck.
__________________
A nation that "forgets" it's defenders, Will itself be "forgotten". Semper fi
91 XJ 4.0 5spd 5.5 on 32's, flat flares, sand camo'd. "Battle Wagon"
01 XJ 'Up Country' 3.5 on 29's former fire vehicle. Bright red. "Fire Wagon"
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 9,480
And, it's not an Iron Duke. It's an AMC 2.46 litre four cylinder engine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out. >

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Jake_A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: holbrook, New York
Posts: 232
$800? Hell, id buy it just for parts, considering crush value is about $450 for an xj, by me.
__________________
96 xj - bone stock, rebuilt engine & tranny, od-green/black, 256k
ISO Stock XJ tire carrier.
Jake_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 9,480
Not to mention the possibility of low geared diffs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out. >

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
Millermagic
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
And, it's not an Iron Duke. It's an AMC 2.46 litre four cylinder engine.

Yup!

XJ was the first to use the AMC 150 I4.

I'd buy one. If I found a nice, stock 5 speed 2.5 XJ ... I'd probably make a trade. They aren't much for power, but are a great engine.

They crawl just as good as a 4.0.
__________________
2000 XJ - 3.5'' Lift & Skinny Mudders.
Previous: A CJ, Few TJs and JK.
Millermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
AM92
Member
 
AM92's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 139
cherokee!

its been awhile but here it is! ive been daily driver her everyday only thing ive done was do the oil change and fix the broken door hinges other then that shes been good to me
cherokee.jpg

AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 1,620
That is a spectacularly simple XJ: 2-door, 2wd, 5-speed, 2.5 4 cyl... I assume manual locks and windows as well. My lawn mower is a more complex machine than that (this is meant as a compliment by the way). White with black grill/flares and steelies is the cherry on top. I'd love to have that as a street/commute/dd vehicle--no higher than stock height, some narrow street tires, some thin metal or coroplast body skids to improve aerodynamics underneath, some subtle grill blocks for additional aero, and a S10 Blazer/Jimmy air dam added to the bottom of the stock air dam...with good maintenance and decent exhaust, we're talking easily 25+ mpg (I've seen a similar setup to the one I've described get 29 mpg, and it still looked like an XJ instead of some aeromodded freak Frankenstein car).
__________________
2002-2009 1983 Chevy El Camino
2009-2011 1994 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
2011-Pres 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
Project1
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,608
man the 4's are not bad at all. with the right gearing/tires ... they can do better than a 6 that has a bad set up. they are light too. i drove my buddy's for a while and i was really impressed to be honest. they come w/ 4.10. put some 31"s .. you could have a lot of fun.
__________________
[ ]||||||[ ] ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/98-green-xj-daily-driver-build-996260/
Project1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #15
AM92
Member
 
AM92's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
That is a spectacularly simple XJ: 2-door, 2wd, 5-speed, 2.5 4 cyl... I assume manual locks and windows as well. My lawn mower is a more complex machine than that (this is meant as a compliment by the way). White with black grill/flares and steelies is the cherry on top. I'd love to have that as a street/commute/dd vehicle--no higher than stock height, some narrow street tires, some thin metal or coroplast body skids to improve aerodynamics underneath, some subtle grill blocks for additional aero, and a S10 Blazer/Jimmy air dam added to the bottom of the stock air dam...with good maintenance and decent exhaust, we're talking easily 25+ mpg (I've seen a similar setup to the one I've described get 29 mpg, and it still looked like an XJ instead of some aeromodded freak Frankenstein car).
yup manual locks and windows its pretty basic ha ha

you say 25 mpg easily? and 29? this is new to me I'd like to see those numbers eventually
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.