JCR New Sliders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > JCR New Sliders

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 11-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

JCR New Sliders

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha..._Code=XJ-US-St

I like the idea but what would your guys thoughts be on their strength?

tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like the idea

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good way to cover up the rock rails none the less. They say there good for a jack point but I'm trying to figure out how they are REALLY going to hold up with a hard drop or something.

Optimistic tho...
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
AdvRacer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Got a set sitting in the garage. Just started to paint today. They are extremely heavy if that is any indication of their strength. All bracketry well made. Even came with a new drill bit in appropriate size needed. I am probably a couple weeks away from installing as I am currently half way through t n t unibody stiffner install which obviously has to happen first. When I get them on I will update thread but am impressed so far.
AdvRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
kenC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

looks nice,bet if you patched your rockers cause of rust these would hide the patches well while adding strength.
kenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

They're pretty good for just about anybody. But some offer a longer pinch seam mount and also have a leg that ties into the leaf spring mount. I beat on mine for a few years until i caught the underside of a large rock and ripped a slider off. Tore out the self tappers and ripped the pinch seam where the bolts were. The more mounting points the better

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sure they work great for blue trails or guys that want a hardcore look that don't really go hardcore wheeling. You're mounting to a soft spot on the body basically. That pinch seam and 'frame tie-in' doesn't do much, if anything to make them stronger.

The best review of them I've seen say they didn't fit well for install, the guy had to weld them on instead of bolting. Then they taco'd the body on the first hit and prevented the door from opening. On the same spot, he said the normal type sliders under the rocker panel held up just fine, and a guy with no sliders at all just got a small dent in his rocker panel.

Again, it's a great idea and they look really nice, but I wouldn't trust them to a hard hit without some serious internal bracing. I'd be fine purchasing them if they had some ribs on the inside and you had to cut out the stock rocker panel to install them.

Here is what happened to my normal rock rails after a few seasons. Shows you how stout the pinch seam and rocker panel are...

Unread 01-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Racer ever get yours installed?
Or anyone else have a set yet?

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I'm sure they work great for blue trails or guys that want a hardcore look that don't really go hardcore wheeling. You're mounting to a soft spot on the body basically. That pinch seam and 'frame tie-in' doesn't do much, if anything to make them stronger.

The best review of them I've seen say they didn't fit well for install, the guy had to weld them on instead of bolting. Then they taco'd the body on the first hit and prevented the door from opening. On the same spot, he said the normal type sliders under the rocker panel held up just fine, and a guy with no sliders at all just got a small dent in his rocker panel.

Again, it's a great idea and they look really nice, but I wouldn't trust them to a hard hit without some serious internal bracing. I'd be fine purchasing them if they had some ribs on the inside and you had to cut out the stock rocker panel to install them.

Here is what happened to my normal rock rails after a few seasons. Shows you how stout the pinch seam and rocker panel are...

X2, it doesn't take much to dent the factory rockers. I would not want to "skin" the rocker with heavier metal that will just push in on the first hit they take. Google those rockers and throw "Pirate 4x4" into the search. A guy on their didn't have good luck with them.
ibjeepin95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I like how they look, But I went with Rigidco Rx22 Sliders on my XJ you have to make 2 small 1" cuts on the pinch seam for the legs to tuck up into then they bolt to the uniframe and pinch seam. So you do not lose any clearance under the pinch seam like most sliders, and the bottom of the slider acts as a skid with the tube being on a 45* angle it keeps you off your doors .

Rigidco Rx22 Slider Pics:

Unread 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If nothing else they are good rust cover for those of us who cant weld?

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
Hey Racer ever get yours installed?
Or anyone else have a set yet?
I have the ultimate sliders in my XJ and love them. Came down hard on a rock at rausch and the front part saved my fender. I have looked at what happened to the guy on pirate and dont know what caused it. They have deep gauges on the bottom from my careless wheeling due to lots of under belly protection and they have yet to move. I do go slower than most when going over these obstacles but my refusal to back up leads to the skinny pedal anyways.
miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuzeppelin View Post
If nothing else they are good rust cover for those of us who cant weld?
Don't cover rust, it's just hiding the problem until it gets out of control. Find a friend with a welder and fix it the right way while it's not so bad.
ibjeepin95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like they'd hold mud in and promote rust. Also, I saw pop rivets and tiny self-tapping screws. I'm not really sure what use those things are. You won't see any on my XJ.
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

All XJ sliders use self tappers...

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.