JCR 1 ton steering... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > JCR 1 ton steering...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
99BlueJP
1999 XJ Cherokee 

JCR 1 ton steering...

Does anyone else have issues with this setup? I'm to the point of just replacing my whole steering setup, when I got the steering on the Jeep it was good for about a week than it had alot of play in the steering wheel and it also had a clunk so I took it back the people who installed it. Come to find out the crappy reaming that you have to do to the knuckles it created a huge hole which caused this problem. So I went to the junk yard and got new knuckles they put the knuckles on the Jeep but didn't ream it like the instruction says to do, it fixed the problem but now the bar that comes down from the steering box is making the tie rod ends twist forward and backwards this makes the steering wheel off and it is really annoying to drive. If anyone has a suggestion or you know how to fix this problem please let me know. I'm sorry if the above doesn't make sense. It's kinda complicated to explain.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/new-xj-project-1360289/
99BlueJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

First off you need to properly ream the knuckles. That’s just dumb and completely unsafe running them like that, sounds like the shop doesn’t know what they are doing if they cant do a simple job like that, you go slowly with the reamer while checking fitment. The bar roiling is typical of this type of steering; JCRs sell nylon type washers to go under the tie rod ends to keep it from doing it as bad.
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
brimy311
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

^^^As WhiteXJ98 said, you MUST have the knuckles reamed correctly. If they are not reamed correctly, it not only will be very sloppy, but it will be unsafe!

How much lift do you have? Is this set up in UTK or OTK configuration? Did the shop install the poly spacer on the Passenger Knuckle?

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...ct_Code=PLYBSH

Like us on Facebook for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on Twitter!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
pumpkinXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have there steering installed on my girlfriends yj in the otk setup. Like others have said it needs to be reamed properly otherwise there will be issues. Haven't had any with hers. Its been great. Feels tight no slop or play in the wheel with there washer. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'd have another shop redo your steering. From the sounds of it the one your going to doesn't know what there doing.
Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
If it ever happens to me, I'll just put the clutch down to the floor, and start revving the YJ up to about 3500 and then yell out "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF AWESOME COMING FROM MY JEEP!"
pumpkinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah Im running their steering OTK and love it. drill and ream correctly and you'll have no problems. I run those poly bushings on both tie rod ends and have no rod roll.

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
99BlueJP
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have the OTK, and I just looked at it and there is no spacer. I don't think mine came with one and if it did than the shop that installed didn't put it on. Thank you guys so much this has been a huge help. I'm going to order those spacers take my Jeep to a different shop and hopefully everything will work out, it has been a nightmare with this shop they put a hold on my Jeep for about a week and said it wasn't safe to drive so they wouldn't let me drive it home till I went out and bought new knuckles when it was there faught in the first place. I let them hae a piece of my mind and I've been telling everyone around here don't go to them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/new-xj-project-1360289/
99BlueJP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.