Iron Rock VS. RE, BDS,.....etc - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Iron Rock VS. RE, BDS,.....etc

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 06-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #46
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

Iron rock Offroad, when I get my next XJ thats who I am going though.

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #47
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Mine is basically where it is going to stay, 31" and basically stock-ish drive-train. I agree, LP D30 is probably not the stoutest axle out there, but for what I do to mine it will be fine. I am just stoked on getting my AA SYE installed...got some minor vibes still.

To the OP, still stoked on the build, you should start a build thread as soon as you start buying bits.

Good thread.
Hey man. Its nice to see another islander on here! Since you live in victoria I was wondering if you have dealt with westshore spring at all. They charge 95 an hour for labor so I was wondering if there is any other good shops or if you get what you pay for with them.
Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #48
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Man,
I hear through the grapevine that they are a really good shop, but other than that I don't really know much about them? I believe the current owner bought out another guy and moved to the current location. He is a Jeep enthusiast and apparently knows his stuff.

I get all of my work done at EDP, I know one of the mechanics there, and they know 4x4's and Cherokee's really well. The guy who did my front end work owned and wheeled a lifted Cherokee for years, so he is very familiar with the setup. The installed my lift, and do all my work (when I have no time).

What are you looking to have done, the whole lift install? I can imagine that a long arm kit install at $95 an hour would get REALLY expensive and fast.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #49
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Hey Man,
I hear through the grapevine that they are a really good shop, but other than that I don't really know much about them? I believe the current owner bought out another guy and moved to the current location. He is a Jeep enthusiast and apparently knows his stuff.

I get all of my work done at EDP, I know one of the mechanics there, and they know 4x4's and Cherokee's really well. The guy who did my front end work owned and wheeled a lifted Cherokee for years, so he is very familiar with the setup. The installed my lift, and do all my work (when I have no time).

What are you looking to have done, the whole lift install? I can imagine that a long arm kit install at $95 an hour would get REALLY expensive and fast.
yeah the original place went bankrupt and the current owner who was an employee bought it and its now what it is today. Where is EDP at? the guys at Westshore seem more into jk's and tj's, so real cherokee guys would be awesome to talk to. how much do they charge for labor? im looking to get the whole shebang done, lift, SYE, drive shaft, gears, everything.
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #50
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So since my first post on this thread, Ive been mulling over the idea of just throwing components together rather than buy a kit. Here's what I have, and I know I'm probably missing something, or maybe a lot of stuff.

TnT Y-link upgrade
-or-
Clayton LA Upgrade
RK 6.5inch coils
Clayton 6.5inch leafs
Bilstien 5125's for the front
Not sure what shocks for the rear. Maybe OME long travel shocks
Iron Rock Double Shear Trac Bar Conversion
Quick Disco's

Thats as far as I got, so feel free to help me out. And thanks alot guys for all of the feed back so far
Unread 06-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #51
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

youll need brake lines.
youll need a SYE and CV shaft

and personally, i would recommend 4.5" leafs, longer shackle and relocation brackets. itll cost more but it seems cost isnt too much of an issue given your list. that will ride better and flex better as well.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #52
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian007 View Post
TnT Y-link upgrade
-or-
Clayton LA Upgrade
RK 6.5inch coils
Clayton 6.5inch leafs
Bilstien 5125's for the front
Not sure what shocks for the rear. Maybe OME long travel shocks
Iron Rock Double Shear Trac Bar Conversion
Quick Disco's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
and personally, i would recommend 4.5" leafs, longer shackle and relocation brackets. itll cost more but it seems cost isnt too much of an issue given your list. that will ride better and flex better as well.
X2 on the leaf spring set up, a 6.5" leaf spring on stock shackles would probably ride and flex like a dump truck, at least compared to a shorter leaf with shackles/relocation brackets.

Also, just a suggestion, but I would recommend the RE Extreme Duty track bar at that height, and opt for the track bar brace. With that much lift and 35"s you will want to start taking measures to stiffen up the unibody where ever you can, it's not needed immediately, but things like the track bar brace, steering box brace, and unibody stiffeners from companies like TNT, HD Offroad, or Ruff Stuff are highly recommended.

Shocks: Maybe it's just me, but I'd stick with one brand. At very minimum, the same type of shock. Bilstien is a mono-tube, and OME is a Nitrogen gas charged, both have every different performance characteristics. Look at mixing and matching the Bilstien 5100s, 5125s, or 5150s, maybe even RE mono-tubes.

Another point of advice, don't go cheep on swaybar discos I made that mistake and got the POS Warrior Products discos, and hated them. Half the time I wouldn't even reconnect after wheeling trips. Finally got tired of it and upgraded to JKS.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #53
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
X2 on the leaf spring set up, a 6.5" leaf spring on stock shackles would probably ride and flex like a dump truck, at least compared to a shorter leaf with shackles/relocation brackets.

Also, just a suggestion, but I would recommend the RE Extreme Duty track bar at that height, and opt for the track bar brace. With that much lift and 35"s you will want to start taking measures to stiffen up the unibody where ever you can, it's not needed immediately, but things like the track bar brace, steering box brace, and unibody stiffeners from companies like TNT, HD Offroad, or Ruff Stuff are highly recommended.

Shocks: Maybe it's just me, but I'd stick with one brand. At very minimum, the same type of shock. Bilstien is a mono-tube, and OME is a Nitrogen gas charged, both have every different performance characteristics. Look at mixing and matching the Bilstien 5100s, 5125s, or 5150s, maybe even RE mono-tubes.

Another point of advice, don't go cheep on swaybar discos I made that mistake and got the POS Warrior Products discos, and hated them. Half the time I wouldn't even reconnect after wheeling trips. Finally got tired of it and upgraded to JKS.
Ya I was planning on getting some TnT stiffeners as well and I didnt know companies other than JKS made quick Disco's For the front end would the IRO double shear trac bar work well, or should i go with RE on that one? Also for the leaf springs. What type of shackles/relocation brackets are there? I mean is a shackle just a shackle, or are some better than others?
Unread 06-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #54
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

the IRO TB is pretty good for the price, but IMO, the RE HD track bar with the brace is the best you can get. thats what im running.

and any aftermarket 1.5" shackle or so will do. HDoffroadengineering is the company that sells shackle relocation brackets, they will allow you to improve your shackle angle, resulting in a better ride and better flex. there is lots of info about them here and more over on NAXJA

My POS
Quote:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #55
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have yet to test this for myself yet, but I've heard that a boomerang shackle works really well with the shackle relocation brackets. I do plan on going with a boomerang when I do shackles, but can't give any first hand experiance with them yet. JKS and RE are the only two I know of that make boomerang shackles now, TNT used to, but I haven't seen them on their web site in a while.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #56
RoyalXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
I have yet to test this for myself yet, but I've heard that a boomerang shackle works really well with the shackle relocation brackets. I do plan on going with a boomerang when I do shackles, but can't give any first hand experiance with them yet. JKS and RE are the only two I know of that make boomerang shackles now, TNT used to, but I haven't seen them on their web site in a while.
clayton makes boomerangs. im running them now and so bar i love em
Unread 06-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #57
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

im using RE 1.5" shackles with my relocation brackets and am having no clearance problems of any kind.

My POS
Quote:
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #58
BillyBear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i have a 96 xj with 4.5 inches of lift full width bronco axles and i am running 35's i have the RE Long arm kit and hate it... i have had to replace the bushings in the control arms 3 time in about 7 months and i dont drive it unless i am goin weelin
BillyBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , iron rock long arm , lift kits , rubicon express

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.