Iron Rock VS. RE, BDS,.....etc - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Iron Rock VS. RE, BDS,.....etc

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
dhardman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if you plan on going above 6.5, you better figure in a full cage into your expenses, because it's not going to be a question of IF you're gonna roll it, but WHEN...regardless of how good of a driver you think you are.

dhardman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

IMHO I'm not really a fan of the IRO control arm design, the two major issues I have are:
The UCA mount/bracket..... thing
It's a y-link/wristed radius arm

Beyond that:
The lack of hard/flex joints to keep a radius arm set up like, that in place. Normal radius arm/y-link suspensions are in constant bind, thats how they keep everything in place. By removing the passenger side "upper control arm" you are removing bind, but there weren't any changes made to help keep the axle located better.

If you want a y-link/wristed radius arm kit, go TNT or Clayton. Ballistic has been working on a y-link long arm upgrade kit, but I don't think it's ready to come out yet. IMHO those are some of the best best kits out there.

Look into 3-links. Much better on and off road manners. Rock Crawler seems to be a popular kit.

Yes lots of people have y-link kits and have run them for years with good luck, but there is a better way.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardman View Post
if you plan on going above 6.5, you better figure in a full cage into your expenses, because it's not going to be a question of IF you're gonna roll it, but WHEN...regardless of how good of a driver you think you are.
Are xj's really that unstable when you go that tall. I've never driven a lifted xj, but have driven lifted broncos and they weren't that bad. I only said 8 inch because I want to run 35's with not trimming, but I think ill end up going lower and trimming if it really is that bad.
Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

no it wont be THAT bad. just have to know the limits of your XJ.

that being said, im with XJfever, RE does make some good parts but i wont recommend lifts from them anymore. BDS is very good, IRO has a good reputation, full traction would be another good option, and then clayton, RK like others have noted.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say just do a lot of reading on here and NAXJA.org to get the info you want. I figured out how to setup my jeep by just reading what a lot of the older XJ guys were doing, the more 'respected' guys if you will (ericsXJ, FitchVA, Heavy Metal, Bruiser, Goatman, Vetteboy79, XJcrawler..., etc). Not everyone started out with a crazy complicated, fully fabricated setup.

I'm going with 35's on my RE 4.5" kit. It's probably around 5" or so and I'll be getting some sort of longarm kit, but my fenders are trimmed pretty good and will probably require some more cutting with 35's.

Are you planning on wheeling or just want a lifted rig?
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
RoyalXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i love my bds longarms. great articulation
Unread 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #22
dhardman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
no it wont be THAT bad. just have to know the limits of your XJ.

that being said, im with XJfever, RE does make some good parts but i wont recommend lifts from them anymore. BDS is very good, IRO has a good reputation, full traction would be another good option, and then clayton, RK like others have noted.
not to sound like a hero, but have you ever ridden in an xj or tj that's been lifted 8 or more inches? i have. the xj was rolled with the driver, myself, and our girlfriends inside it while taking a 45* turn at 25 miles an hour. i'd consider that driving within the limits of the vehicle..
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #23
RoyalXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

mine is 7.5" on 35s. jeep handles fairly well on the trail but you also need to know how to drive it. i do also run a currie anti rock setup though. this helps with off camber stability.
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

oh man this is driving me absolutely nuts. Ive done more reading on this stuff than i have for university, and I still dont know what to do. I want to get this done with some summer left to do some wheeling in something that isnt a low rider.

I want to run 35's minimum without trimming so that why i though 8, but now im scared about rolling, being that I am not very experience driving a tall jeep.
Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe piece together your own lift. Rustys springs are pretty good IMO ( well the obviously buy them from someone else). got 8" coils and their 6.5" packs. running a RK 3 link long arm. Tons of flex off-road.

plus... its currently my DD! and no swaybars. The leafs in the rear really add to the stability. I am looking into and anti rock though for highway.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #26
RoyalXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian007 View Post
oh man this is driving me absolutely nuts. Ive done more reading on this stuff than i have for university, and I still dont know what to do. I want to get this done with some summer left to do some wheeling in something that isnt a low rider.

I want to run 35's minimum without trimming so that why i though 8, but now im scared about rolling, being that I am not very experience driving a tall jeep.
even at 8" your gonna have to trim if you wanna flex out your suspension. i had to trim a whole lot at 7.5
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
dhardman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalXJ View Post
even at 8" your gonna have to trim if you wanna flex out your suspension. i had to trim a whole lot at 7.5
x2. what kinda wheelin are you lookin at? hardcore rock crawling or intermediate trail/mud riding? cause if you really have your heart set on 35's you could get away with 5.5, but you're gonna have to trim and bumpstop to get good flex. same thing with any lift. besides, most flex comes from droop, not up-travel...
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #28
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardman View Post
not to sound like a hero, but have you ever ridden in an xj or tj that's been lifted 8 or more inches? i have. the xj was rolled with the driver, myself, and our girlfriends inside it while taking a 45* turn at 25 miles an hour. i'd consider that driving within the limits of the vehicle..
no but i wheel with them. and they have no more problems than i do in the rocks, or on the street. but at the same time, every suspension set up is going to behave differently depending on the springs, shocks, sway bars, vehicle width etc.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #29
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Think about this. I've done some seriously hard trails in my XJ with a 4.5" lift and 32" tires (aired down to around 14psi, meaning they are like 31's). I'm talking pretty crazy rocks that people tell me not to try, but I go through anyway.

Do you really think you need 35's with a huge lift for where you are wheeling? If you want the 35's for looks, don't worry about trimming and get a 5" lift or so.

Why don't you want to trim the fenders? If you don't want a huge lift, trimming is inevitable. Even with my small tires, my fenders are trimmed quite a bit and I still wrinkle the front fenders at full flex. Your best bet is aftermarket fenders like what Rusty's sells, or bumpstop the crap out of it so you don't rub.

Oh, and good luck getting the gearing, lockers, steering, braking and chassis improvements to handle those big tires and lift. It gets expensive.

To answer your original question. In my personal opinion as an engineer, I would not buy the IRO kit for my Jeep. If you want bolt on longarms, I'd recommend TnT Customs y-link or the BDS 4-link.
Unread 06-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
Hurdxj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ive been looking into the IRO 8" too on 36x12.5's with some bushwackers.
So you guys are thinkin thats too tall of a setup?

Tags
cherokee , iron rock long arm , lift kits , rubicon express

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.