Iron Rock VS. RE, BDS,.....etc - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Iron Rock VS. RE, BDS,.....etc

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Iron Rock VS. RE, BDS,.....etc

So Im finally making enough money with my new job to afford the stuff i want for my jeep ($1000 every 4 days)

I want to run 35's without doing alot of trimming, so thats what made me point in the direction of the 8inch Iron Rock kit. I spoke to some local shops and they had never heard of Iron Rock, and they all said the same things. Rubicon Express this, and BDS that....blah blah blah

They all made it seem like if I didnt buy RE or BDS that my jeep would fall apart. I really want to get this right the FIRST time so Im just asking for some cold hard facts on the Iron Rock Kit, like the quality comepared to RE or BDS, or how easy it is to get replacement parts. Thanks in advance guys and hopefully I will be wheelin with my new lift (based on your facts) within a week or two

Adrian007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

no one has any input on this????
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
billabongopblue
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you have the money and want an 8" lift, i would go with the IRO. It is a long arm which will ride very well and comes complete with everything. There is no 8" Rubicon Express kit so you cannot really compare. All i can say is that IRO is a respected brand around here and you will be satisfied with what you buy.

Keep in mind you will need a SYE with that kit as well.
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Im aware that RE only goes up to 5.5". But thanks for the info. Being all the way on the west coast and in canada, not too many people have heard of IRO and the immediately say buy RE, but if the quality is comparable then i will go with IRO because they are alot cheaper.
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

IRO is much better quality than RE. 8" lift and 35's is gonna be very tipsy though.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
IRO is much better quality than RE. 8" lift and 35's is gonna be very tipsy though.
ya i know. ive been doing a bit of reading and found that alot of people are complaining of a tippy feeling when going that high. i might end up going with a 4.5" lift and some iceland flares to fit the tires i want.

how tippy do you think it would be tho? like unbearably scary to drive with a huge chance of rolling over, or just that "feeling" of being tipped over.
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
billabongopblue
1996 XJ Cherokee 

4.5 is a little low to fit 35's i think. I would get the 6.5 if you plan on 35's

But there is a lot more expense then just the kit, there is the lift, tires, gearing, SYE, and recovery.
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabongopblue View Post
4.5 is a little low to fit 35's i think. I would get the 6.5 if you plan on 35's

But there is a lot more expense then just the kit, there is the lift, tires, gearing, SYE, and recovery.
look here if you havent seen this before. thats why is said maybe ill just go with 4.5

i have about a $5000 budget, and yes i do know i need alot more than just the lift. Im doing this right, and not doing a backyard hillbilly POS build
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I think the iceland flares and 4.5" lift would work great with 35's myself. If you do some searching you will find lots of threads on RE's problems with control arm bushings and bad welds on their arms. Their crap is made in india too. IRO is made in the USA and they have excellent customer service.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Highjaxx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Clayton 5.5 Long Arm Kit, but that's my $.02
Highjaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
thetaxman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What about the 5.5" IRO
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
I think the iceland flares and 4.5" lift would work great with 35's myself. If you do some searching you will find lots of threads on RE's problems with control arm bushings and bad welds on their arms. Their crap is made in india too. IRO is made in the USA and they have excellent customer service.
thats exactly what i was waiting to hear
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
thetaxman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

wouldnt alot of cutting be involved to fit 35's on a 4.5"?
Unread 06-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
Adrian007
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaxman View Post
wouldnt alot of cutting be involved to fit 35's on a 4.5"?
yes, but its made easier with the iceland flares. i know im kinda going against my orginial post, but the main purpose was just to determine if IRO had a good quality product
Unread 06-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #15
BigSteve

Just for giggles RE does make a 7.5 in kit (RE6307) RE6307 - XJ 7.5" EXTREME-DUTY LONG ARM - Rubicon Express
BigSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , iron rock long arm , lift kits , rubicon express

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.