IPF or Hella? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > IPF or Hella?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Wazzuppiggy156
1995 XJ Cherokee 

IPF or Hella?

I recently came into a little bit of "mad" money by helping a co-worker clear some storm damaged trees from around his house. My question is simply which conversion kit produces MORE light output. The IPF conversion or the Hella 500(?). Assuming I go with IPF, are the H4 Fatboys worth the money?

Thanks in advance to all replies

Unread 07-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I can't speak on IPF, but I like my hellas. I'm assuming that you are speaking about 6054 H-4 conversion headlights.
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
coors400

doesnt look very expensive at all
http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/It...D:100000275168
coors400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

You're talking about headlights, right? Hella 500s are aux lights. Anyway, IPF makes a better housing than Hella IMHO. Get the 80/140 watt bulbs and upgrade the headlight harness. Night will become as day.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Wazzuppiggy156
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
You're talking about headlights, right? Hella 500s are aux lights. Anyway, IPF makes a better housing than Hella IMHO. Get the 80/140 watt bulbs and upgrade the headlight harness. Night will become as day.
Yeah sorry I had just got home from work and was a little brain-dead

Is there really much of a difference in light output from the either two lights? I will be upgrading the stock harness to a relay system with 14 gauge wire.

Do you happen to have any pics of a before and after?
Unread 07-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I dont have any pics, but a friend of mine has Hella housings in his TJ (and had them in his XJ as well) and the beam wasnt as nice as a guy I wheeled with a few times who had the IPFs in his TJ.

Everything I hear on the interweb also says the IPFs are better. I (personally) dont know how I feel about upgrading the headlights that much ($$$), since I'd rather throw more lamps on to get an overall longer and wider beam, but a very good upgraded headlight system will work better than say, silverstar bulbs in stock housings and a pair of 55w Hella lamps.

That being said, my plan eventually is a pair of Hella E-Code H4s (not the normal Hella H4 conversion kit), a set of decent bulbs, and upgraded wires.

edit: As far as beam output, it doesnt matter what H4 kit you have. All the housing does is really give you a better beam. Actual light output will depend on the bulb (obviously) and more importantly, better wires. the stock ones are embarrassing. in fact, I have all this wire here and its raining out. I just might make a new harness.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Wazzuppiggy156
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
I dont have any pics, but a friend of mine has Hella housings in his TJ (and had them in his XJ as well) and the beam wasnt as nice as a guy I wheeled with a few times who had the IPFs in his TJ.

Everything I hear on the interweb also says the IPFs are better. I (personally) dont know how I feel about upgrading the headlights that much ($$$), since I'd rather throw more lamps on to get an overall longer and wider beam, but a very good upgraded headlight system will work better than say, silverstar bulbs in stock housings and a pair of 55w Hella lamps.

That being said, my plan eventually is a pair of Hella E-Code H4s (not the normal Hella H4 conversion kit), a set of decent bulbs, and upgraded wires.

edit: As far as beam output, it doesnt matter what H4 kit you have. All the housing does is really give you a better beam. Actual light output will depend on the bulb (obviously) and more importantly, better wires. the stock ones are embarrassing. in fact, I have all this wire here and its raining out. I just might make a new harness.
Thanks you for the good information!

All replies appreciated, I have decide to go with IPF housings and a set of their Magic J bulbs or the standards in the 100/170W. Edit: and the upgraded harness...

Thanks again for the help guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.