installing off road lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > installing off road lights

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
viper75
2000 XJ Cherokee 

installing off road lights

I have a 2000 xj that I want to install lights on the stock bumper is it possible and will I hve a problem with possibly setting off the airbags.Thanks for any help you can give me.

viper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The airbags use an inertial sensor (detects sudden deceleration) not crush sensors in the bumper so that isn't an issue. You can just pull the bumper and drill some holes where you want the lights (that's what I did).

I would highly recommend using a relay (the "better" kits such as KC or Hella generally come with one the cheap kits don't). If you chose not to run a relay you will need to use heavy gauge wire (at least 14 ga.) and a switch that is rated for the amperage draw of the lights. Most cheap kits come with thin gauge wire and a cheap switch and present a potential fire hazard. The grommet for the hood release cable is a good place to run the wires to the switch if your mounting it on the driver side, there are various other grommets you can use as well but I have found that convent.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
toyotaguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^^x2 on the relay and the large guage wire. I made the mistake of doing mine with 10g, 12g is adequate, and for some reason a whole lot cheaper (at least where I am you can get 100' of 12 g for the same price of 50' of 10g...) I used a two relay system to wire mine to the high beams, works great. Also, depending on the lights you have, there may not be enough room if you mount them directly to the bumper. I had to use some eye bolts to mount them about a 1/2 out so the back of the lights didn't hit the grill. Don't worry about the airbags.
toyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy
^^x2 on the relay and the large guage wire. I made the mistake of doing mine with 10g, 12g is adequate, and for some reason a whole lot cheaper (at least where I am you can get 100' of 12 g for the same price of 50' of 10g...) I used a two relay system to wire mine to the high beams, works great. Also, depending on the lights you have, there may not be enough room if you mount them directly to the bumper. I had to use some eye bolts to mount them about a 1/2 out so the back of the lights didn't hit the grill. Don't worry about the airbags.
You do know 10gauge wire is better then 12 gauge wire so I don't see where using 10 gauge was a mistake.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
jeepster383

10 gauge is not really "beter" it just depends on how much amps your lights draw and how long of wire you plan to use. For example if you have a draw of 24 amps and you need to run 7 feet of wire you would use 16 gauge wire. If you needed to run 15 feet of wire you would use 12 gauge. Here's a good pic to determine.

image-435396898.jpg
jeepster383 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster383 View Post
10 gauge is not really "beter" it just depends on how much amps your lights draw and how long of wire you plan to use. For example if you have a draw of 24 amps and you need to run 7 feet of wire you would use 16 gauge wire. If you needed to run 15 feet of wire you would use 12 gauge. Here's a good pic to determine.
Tom95 wasn't eluding to how much amps per foot of wiring, but that for the sake of doing it once, and doing it with more capacity and safety factor is the ideal choice.

That's a pretty chart, but for the for the sake of a few bucks on wire, and the ability to put more powerful lights onto the same wiring later it's not WRONG to go beefier.

I would never run 16ga wire on purpose just because a chart says I can.

It's a jeep, no sense in wimping out on the modifications
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
jeepster383

I probly wouldn't run 16 gauge wire ither. I was just sharing some info from an electrical class. That gets you in the ball park if you've never done any kind of wireing.
jeepster383 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.