Indicator Panel Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Indicator Panel Help

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
olblue87xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Indicator Panel Help

The panel I'm referring to is the one to the left of the gauge cluster on '96 and older cherokees.

My 1995 cherokee recently failed va safety inspection because my airbag light didn't come on. I pulled the panel cover and it turns out I don't even have a spot on the panel for an airbag light. So now I'm thinking that maybe my cluster got switched out at some point?

Could someone please post up a picture of where the airbag spot is supposed to be on that panel?

Thanks!

olblue87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think pre '95s have airbags, which would indicate why you have no light. At least all teh pre '95s I looked at didn't have an airbag.
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
olblue87xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I think '94 and older cherokees didn't come with them either but this is for my '95.

I'm also wondering if it's legal in Virginia if I swap out my airbag steering wheel for a non airbag steering wheel. Anybody know?
Unread 03-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty sure my 95 doesn't have an airbag light either...
This link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/1...lights-639398/
Confirms that it doesn't exist.

As far as swapping your airbag wheel for non airbag per this link: (http://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/in.../t-238959.html) "Bottom line, if you have a car that came from the factory with air bags, VA state code requires they be in place...period. Mods made before the effective date of the rule (7/1/06)? Mods for your use only? Doesn't matter. You better get it back in the car, or take your chances with VA's finest. If your inspection station lets you get away with it, they have violated the code."

And straight from the horses mouth: (http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm) "20. – INSPECT AIR BAG AND AIRBAG READINESS LIGHT FOR:

Any defects in the air bag system noted by the air bag readiness light, or otherwise indicated; or
The air bag has been deployed and has not been replaced (and is not deactivated because of a medical or other exemption and a notice is posted to indicate that it has been deactivated); or
Any part of the air bag system has been removed from the vehicle; or
If the air bag indicator fails to light, or stays on continuously."

Doesn't say anything on there about the light simply not being there. I don't see how or why they can fail you for inspection on something that's not there to check in the first place.
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
olblue87xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

DullesJeep thank you for your response! I'll just have to go to another inspection station and if they give me a hard time I'll be able to tell them why there's no light.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You can also get your build sheet for proof. Mine clearly states CGTS Driver Air Bag Only.
Good luck with this!
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
olblue87xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks DriverX! Just sent out a request to Jeep for my build sheet so I can go ahead and bring that in when I get it reinspected.

Tags
indicator , light , panel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.