indeepwithajeep's 98' emerald green progress thread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > indeepwithajeep's 98' emerald green progress thread.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

indeepwithajeep's 98' emerald green progress thread.

Not so much of a build since I won't be making a whole lot of progress that quickly.
This is my first Jeep, American car, and 4x4. I came from owning a whole lot of Volkswagens (still have one). I do a lot of snowboarding so reliability is top on the list before I do any kind of a lift. I have a H4 relay harness left over from my mk2 coupe so I'm planing on doing the 200mm Hella/Cibie ecode upgrade.

When I first got it

So far since owning it, I've cleaned the engine bay, cleaned the throttle body, did a sea foam treatment (intake and fuel), replaced the front sway bar bushings to eliminate the annoying clunks, picked up some neon injectors (I'm in the process of rebuilding), swapped out the factory stereo, and I also redyed all the plastics bits that were fading from the PO's horrible splatter quick detail job on it.

First day of snow

indeepwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's so tiny and cute.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ
It's so tiny and cute.
Like your Jeep?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Like your Jeep?
Bro.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

image-1596384375.jpg

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
nzoliver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hi from New Zealand!
Well, I like your Jeep - just as it is!
I have mine bone stock height and would not dream of lifting. Completely unnessecary for our conditions and my needs. More trouble than its' worth. I have mine on the (factory) 225/75 R15 tyres on a set of Grand rims. Gives it a good stance.
This does 99.9% of all the crap roads and snowy roads etc here. Had it out in a foot of snow last winter not long after I got it while it had the PO's tyres which were shot! Went fine.
This is my 5th XJ but my first facelift. I find the biggest things to do are change the waterpump and fan clutch first job - right after doing ALL the fluids as most owners these days treat these as 'old' 'n don't care what oils etc are in them!

I like em original. They go good like that and I find 'em cheaper to run!

My 10c.

Oliver
p9100031.jpg  
nzoliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My wonderful girlfriend got me a cluster with tachometer with 2k more miles than what I have for Christmas I'm going to wait until I'm at the mileage before I do the swap. Dealership wants $112.50 to program the miles to the cluster. Has anyone gone to a independent shop that has been able to do this?

There were quite a few scratches on the plastic cover. I wet sanded and polished everything out
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mileage is saved on the computer not the cluster?
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Mileage is saved on the computer not the cluster?
From what I've read it saves on both
So even after you would swap a random cluster, it'll show whats on the cluster not stored in the ECU but it keeps tallying up the miles. I'm just wanting to keep everything legit.

Yesterday I replaced the wiper assembly linkage bushings Today I'm replacing my fuel injectors and resprayed my fuel rail. If the paint cures soon enough where there is enough light for pictures. I'll go out and take one.
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The paint would of came out better if the bedliner spray nozzle didn't clog up towards the end
The injectors didn't feel to give it any more power. However I feel that it's burning more efficiently, and I need to give it less throttle cruising around. I reset the ECU after swapping the injectors. So with a clean throttle body and updated 4 hole injectors should increase MPG's quite a bit

Unread 02-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #11
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Replaced the thermostat today. I think it's safe to say it was stuck open... Hopefully this will help yield some better gas mileage around town! I got the car with green prestone coolant. Think I should do a complete flush and put dex-cool back in? How particular are Jeeps with this? Next on the list is clean out my NSS the next time I get a break in the weather.

Think I've decided on a Clayton's 4.5" short arm lift and 32x11.5" when the time comes. I put a Thule rack on top, and I also have some Hella H4's on order.

I took it out to our local trails. I thought it did quite well! I got through most intermediate trails out there. I swapped in a trailer hitch and removed the rear anti sway bar prior to going.

Unread 02-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

If the old coolant was still green slightly translucent I wouldn't worry about a flush.
But if its the color of river mud/rusty flush it.
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey here is a pic-whoring opp for me, same year same color, same lift u are going to ( 32's on 4.5"):
image-992007756.jpg

image-455253367.jpg

Unread 02-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-R View Post
Hey here is a pic-whoring opp for me, same year same color, same lift u are going to ( 32's on 4.5"):
Haha I found a picture of your Jeep posted in a "4.5" w/ 32s" thread and used it for some photoshopping opportunities! How wide are your tires? Did you get the short arm kit with upper and lower control arms, or just the uppers? Do you feel like you would want to go long arm still? I think I'd probably only take mine out on the trails a couple handful times a year, but want something reliable and stable. I was thinking if I go long arm I could buy some upper adjustable to tide me over before I get a welder and do the long arm install.

Or maybe these
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #15
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

All i have are control arm drop brackets and stock upper and lower control arms. I'd like to get adjustable after market arms some time but these aren't hurting me. Tires are 265/75/16 which is 31.7 x 10.5 i think. If i kept 15 " wheels, i'd look at stock Ravines probably. I had to trim the bumper end caps with the 32 's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.