Increase tow weight? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Increase tow weight?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 03-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
toddfouty

Increase tow weight?

I started pulling a fishing boat with my 99' Cherokee last fall. Jeep pulls it fine, but it sure does make it squat when I attached the trailer. Without the trailer the jeep sets level. I don't want to change it's ride height, but would like to keep it from sagging so much with trailer attached. Any suggestions?

toddfouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
84corvette
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If there is a way to maybe move the boat back a little bit, it could decrease the tongue weight. I don't know if your trailer is adjustable like mine is. Only other option is to upgrade to a heavier duty spring but I will make it ride stiffer without the boat hooked up.

Leafs like this maybe : http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm
84corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Airbags in the rear.

https://www.google.com/search?q=towi...x-a&channel=sb

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
toddfouty

Thanks for the ideas. I have the boat pushed back about as far as the trailer allows. I didn't realize you could purchase stiffer springs without raising the ride height. The airbags look pretty cool. I'm not too worried about the ride quality.
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
scottmphoto
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The air bags are good or you could just install some helper springs. I did this because they are fairly cheap, easy to install and they're solid, so less to break that the airbags. There are several different types of helper springs that you can bolt on.
scottmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Get a smaller lighter boat? Lol. The helper springs work good.
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #7
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you still have your original leaf-springs, they're probably on their last legs, you may want to consider replacing them and upgrading to the "heavy-duty" leaf-springs if you have the standard ones. Helper springs are a decent option as well but if the leafs are worn out those need to be addressed first or the helper springs will merely be a temporary "band-aid".
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

another potential could be a weight distubuting hitch setup.
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:15 AM   #9
toddfouty

My OEM springs seem to be pretty good, the cherokee sits level. I was under the impression that the helper springs would raise the ride height. A guy at Autozone said they sell those to people as a cheap way to lift the rear and fit larger tires. The bolt-on helper springs look like the easiest and cheapest option for what I need, just didn't want it to look weird if the back end was jacked up.
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

How much tongue weight are you talking?
You should also measure the xj at rest and with the boat attached; measure the distance between the center of the axle and the bottom of the fender flare; 17" is stock in the rear.

I just finished a build which required 700lbs of tongue weight plus 4 dudes and gear in the xj; I ended up having to build new spring packs. link here

These also work great for not affecting your ride but adding load capacity http://timbren.com/ same basic thought as air bags but without all the complexity.

At the end of the day, either spring resistance or something between the axle and the frame (air bags/timbren's) will change your tail sag. Your OEM spring packs are likely worn a fair amount, just having fresh ones could help a fair amount depending upon your tongue weight.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeater View Post
another potential could be a weight distributing hitch setup.
This is a great resolution that's actually intended for exactly the scenario at hand here.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter Your Jeep in the April COTM Contest... NAOW!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm concerned about pulling a pop up camper with my XJ. It bogs down my buddy's Hemi 1500 Ram so much I wonder if my AW4 or cooling system could handle it.

Sent from my rotary fone using JeepForum

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A trans cooler helps the cherokees a LOT towing.

Helper springs would only raise the ride height because it would slightly increase the thickness of your leaf pack, not enough to be noticeable, he was probably talking about add-a-leafs.

If you're still running stock springs, I guarantee they've sagged, they may have done it evenly, but they've done it. Most people still running stock springs would see .5"-1" of lift just by replacing the stock springs. Dpesn't mean you have to, but I have seen cherokees (like mine) used to tow boats where the leafs sagged so badly the sway bar mount on the axle started impacting the unibody when you hit a bad bump. Even if they're fine now, you may want to add helpers or replace just to avoid trouble down the road.

I have the crown heavier ones from quadratec, and that helps quite a bit, but if I was towing regularly or heavy weights, I'd add helpers (also known as load springs because they only actually come into play under a heavy load). The Quadratec springs did stiffen up the back end a fair amount for me, so be aware of that. They'll make you rethink how you take speed bumps if you've got stuff in the trunk.
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #14
toddfouty

I appreciate all your suggestions. I measured 17" from bottom of fender flare to center of wheel on all four corners. I ordered a "Cherokee Specific" catalog from Quadratec. I am about purchasing the stock medium duty spring assembly.
Unread 03-21-2014, 04:52 AM   #15
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
This is your best bet.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.