If anyone was considering JCR Ultimate Sliders..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > If anyone was considering JCR Ultimate Sliders.....

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 07-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If anyone was considering JCR Ultimate Sliders.....

I own some JCR stuff and like it, so I am in no way bushing it. Just saw this and thought I'd put it out there to help on decisions......

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...1045625&page=5

Post #116

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thats really unfortunate as I was looking into these for my Jeep. I know its been said before that if your going to use something that this as a rocker replacement that you need to do some sort of frame tie-in to avoid this, but I remember specifically reading someplace that JCR said there was no need, this proves otherwise. Still a great product and I dont want to bash them either, as I will be ordering other things from them.

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

He should have went with the stage 2 or stage 3 sliders. Cheaper and tie into the subframe.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
He should have went with the stage 2 or stage 3 sliders. Cheaper and tie into the subframe.
The idea seems like a good one. Works like most CJ/YJ/TJ/JK sliders. Problem is, tubs on CJ's and Wranglers have structure. XJ shytmetal rockers do not.
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
The idea seems like a good one. Works like most CJ/YJ/TJ/JK sliders. Problem is, tubs on CJ's and Wranglers have structure. XJ shytmetal rockers do not.
Didn't JCR restructure in the last year? I wonder if the "ultimate" sliders came from that.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure?
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
lostatindo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

the install for these things really sucked. wish i saved my money and time and did the stage 3 sliders instead.
lostatindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

See, I really like JCR's bumpers because they're strong, tie into the frame quite well, have lots of options, and, very importantly to me, aren't hideous--they look like they belong to a Jeep Cherokee by keeping the same lines and shapes as the rest of the vehicle.

That said, there just doesn't look like there's anything smart about JCR's sliders and it reflects poorly on them and the rest of their products to see them defending them as if they are flawless.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
XJTiger
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Im new to this...have never went offroad, just got my first xj, that hasnt ran since I owned it...I found JCR's site the first night I started looking at parts I need...ie..bumpers..I thought that slider looked great, as a deflector of sorts but it didnt look very strong to me...not quite the same level of bracket as the cut n fold integrated rear 1/4.....I seriously want their bumpers..along with their brackets they seem to tighten the ends up very nicely.
XJTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

There is nothing wrong with their other products, but it's been said in other threads that rockers done In this style don't handle being dropped well.

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
monkeyevil
Vendor

That post may not be a good representation of our Ultimate Sliders as initially that set fit improperly and didn't fit tight against the body (our fault entirely.) The gap at the top was welded to install them, and I have no idea how that weakened the sheet metal of the rockers or their bond to the inner door sills. This means there was an air gap between the whole slider and the rocker that meant all the force from a hit was transferred into the rocker by the single point of that weld. This was not something we have tested.

Quote:
That said, there just doesn't look like there's anything smart about JCR's sliders and it reflects poorly on them and the rest of their products to see them defending them as if they are flawless.
I'm not the only person responding to topics here at JCR, but I've done a fair share of talking about these sliders and haven't called them flawless, but they are a great looking option to get rocker protection with more clearance than the box tube stuff. If anyone has heard of other failures of these sliders and want to bring it to my attention, please feel free.

If you are not comfortable with running these sliders, then take a look at our tried and true box tube design. These have been hammered on by our customers for nearly 10 years now.
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I was a bit harsh in my comments earlier and somewhat unclear. I respect the goals of the product and am very interested in it. What I'm unimpressed by is the rose-tinted opinion of them JCR had. I know that a company needs to communicate pride and appeal for its products, but I don't think it was smart to market them without being honest about their limitations. In the case of the customer the OP refers to, JCR admitted that they were at fault for the sliders not being able to be installed properly (and did a great job making amends). I don't know the details, and maybe it was just a total fluke that couldn't be foreseen, but as a potential customer I have to assume that if the sliders could not be installed properly then JCR did not do thorough enough testing on their product before selling it.

I admit I've not seen/heard anyone claim that they're flawless (except for what JCR's own store page essentially does when calling them "the end all rocker slider solution"), but I've never seen anyone speaking for JCR acknowledge any flaws or limitations during their advocation/defense either--except when dealing directly with a customer who has already had a failure. Yes they allow more clearance and don't stick out visually as much as traditional designs. Those are advantages and ones that really interest me, but if they have issues achieving their primary goal of protection, then their secondary goals are nearly meaningless and they run the risk of being ignored by the market they're seeking to satisfy--customers looking for rocker protection.

I like the idea, but it still has bugs to be worked out which, when confronted with a failure, even JCR admits...unless at the time of this posting all bugs HAVE been worked-out, and I'm out of date. I have no intentions of condemning a product for past mistakes. I know the customer the OP is referring to has likely catalyzed some redesign. JCR should be honest about this (known issues and untested installations/applications) instead of calling them "the end all rocker slider solution for your Jeep Cherokee" (source). Perhaps it's just me, but I'd rather be told up front before I even make the purchase that the product with the new design that is intriguing me so much is still unproven and that the company is seeking feedback and will work with early adopters . That wouldn't scare me away one bit--at least not with a great place like JCR--I'd be happy to participate in that way.

I guess someone got just a little too excited about these at JCR, and that's too be expected--these sliders have the potential to shift the paradigm on rocker protection for XJs. Just try not to be disingenuous about them because it's obvious that customers don't like unpleasant surprises which by your own admission can end up costing the company money. JCR has set the bar as far as I'm concerned, and I look forward to the day that I actually have a proper income again so that I may dump a few thousand dollars there.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.