ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build - Page 84 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #1246
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I might!
Good! I want to see this thing wheel in person

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #1247
Showtime3492
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Traded my XJ and some cash for this:

Just kidding, I wish. RC was a lot of fun. I'd like to run a class 1 or 2 rig.
I was there with Down n dirty Offroad.

2000 XJ--- 4.6 stroker. Saved from the grave- everything swapped or modded. I hate this thing :)
Showtime3492 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #1248
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know its been covered but does the 3.55s really pull 35s ok? Sometime this summer I will likely pick up new tires and trim and Im really hung up on if I should play it safe with 33s or jump into my manhood and go 35s. I just dont want to get in over my head and do 35s and watch my to do list of necessary mods go way up. I just know last time I went with 33s on 4.5 I was wishin I woulda went on up to 35s. Ill have to live with my next tire purchase a while.

And im asking this with the "bigger is better" ideaology set aside lol. Im trying to be semi-realistic haha
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #1249
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

DEFINITELY go with 35's, but then start saving for gears. I know with just 33's and 3.55's I was great on the highway, but really noticed the lack of low end torque on the trails. Really sucked when trying to climb even in 4 Lo. My .02
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #1250
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
DEFINITELY go with 35's, but then start saving for gears. I know with just 33's and 3.55's I was great on the highway, but really noticed the lack of low end torque on the trails. Really sucked when trying to climb even in 4 Lo. My .02
Thats what Im afraid of, lol. I never really noticed much of a problem with 33s but with 35s itd probably be a different story, and if Im going to regear id likely want to put that money into an 8.8 instead to be safe. So thats an axle swap and gears. Then my steering needs upgrading, and Id likely wanna run stiffeners after than. Plus I at least need to put together a front bumper for recovery.

Ideally I need to do all the supporting mods first but by the time money allows for all that then Ill be broke again and need tires. Ive got one tire thats new and the others are 50 percent or less as it is. Where I wheel 31s can do the job ok but some of the tougher still will be hard and most things will still take more skinny pedal. 33s will likely do the job bit if Im going to bump up in size Im thinking I may as well go all out and do 35s. But then there I am digging into a money pit again.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #1251
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get the 35s, and save up for gears like he said.

Usually you can find places that will re-gear both axles for around ~1100. I'd jump to 4.56s

Do you have a 8.25 or D35? If you have an 8.25 I wouldn't even worry about an 8.8 unless you plan on going bigger than 35s in the next year or so.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #1252
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I do have a car also I can DD but the Jeep is a very good driver as is and I enjoy driving it, so I dont wanna get so crazy and kill its driveability either. While the car is clean and a reliable DD, its just a 96 Corolla (wifes first car) so I def prefer driving the Jeep haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #1253
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Get the 35s, and save up for gears like he said.

Usually you can find places that will re-gear both axles for around ~1100. I'd jump to 4.56s

Do you have a 8.25 or D35? If you have an 8.25 I wouldn't even worry about an 8.8 unless you plan on going bigger than 35s in the next year or so.
Im rocking a 29 spliner so all good there.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #1254
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Im rocking a 29 spliner so all good there.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #1255
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

+1 - if you have the 29 spline I wouldn't worry about an 8.8. All of the other mods you listed don't have to be done immediately either. Pick up your tires and save for the gears or whatever is highest on your want list. I would put recover points at the top of that personally. Just pick up each of the items one at a time and you'll be fine. If you don't want to or can't do that then just stick with your 33's for now and keep your eyes peeled on CL for some used 33's or 35's to replace your current ones. I just sold a set of 35's with GREAT tread and 3 spares, one of which was brand new for $400. You can always find great deals on CL.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #1256
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
+1 - if you have the 29 spline I wouldn't worry about an 8.8. All of the other mods you listed don't have to be done immediately either. Pick up your tires and save for the gears or whatever is highest on your want list. I would put recover points at the top of that personally. Just pick up each of the items one at a time and you'll be fine. If you don't want to or can't do that then just stick with your 33's for now and keep your eyes peeled on CL for some used 33's or 35's to replace your current ones. I just sold a set of 35's with GREAT tread and 3 spares, one of which was brand new for $400. You can always find great deals on CL.
Thanks for the advice. Im not too worried about getting it all done at once to try and meet some standard of a built Jeep really, just trying to get the main things. From past experience with 33s on an XJ I know the first thing I will be addressing is steering box bracing (via JCR spacer and tie-in brackets I whip up for the front bumper). I had some issues in the past with stress cracking around the box. Durango box upgrade will be on the list but Ill see how long the stocker hangs on.

Otherwise Id just like to run it and fix **** as needed. Im still a lil bit away from 35s due to still needing to pick up an SYE and other such things but its getting close. Im just concerned about driveability, my wife is my designated driver often and I dont wanna hear bishing.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #1257
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

VegasGT, like koolaid said, 35's aren't bad on 3:55's, but start saving for gears. I don't DD mine, so that helps, but I do plan to get some 4.88's. Like he said, it does lack on the trail just a little. In 4 lo, it's a little "fast" when crawling. As far as shying away from an 8.25, why even ask!?! Look at mine. Welded, on 35's, and I beat the ***** out of it. I've never broke it (yet), and the only one I have seen break is the same setup as mine, but 36" TSL's and it was getting hammered on with most of the weight of the Jeep on one tire.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #1258
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
VegasGT, like koolaid said, 35's aren't bad on 3:55's, but start saving for gears. I don't DD mine, so that helps, but I do plan to get some 4.88's. Like he said, it does lack on the trail just a little. In 4 lo, it's a little "fast" when crawling. As far as shying away from an 8.25, why even ask!?! Look at mine. Welded, on 35's, and I beat the ***** out of it. I've never broke it (yet), and the only one I have seen break is the same setup as mine, but 36" TSL's and it was getting hammered on with most of the weight of the Jeep on one tire.
Good to know. Ive always had good luck with the 8.25 but never ran one on 35s so was wanting firsthand experience. Glad to hear strength wont be an issue. At this point Im just trying to get my order of purchases down pat based on what Im lacking.

Its easy to get caught up in the big tire game but Ive found that my tire size hasnt hurt my fun factor of wheeling near as much as my ******* open diff. Its still a while before I pull the trigger on big rubber, and Ive considered just going with 32" Duratracs, but then I see your Jeep and HARDCOREXJ's rig and wonder why the hell I dont have 35s yet lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1259
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I just installed my SYE, so I have a spare transfer case if anyone wants to buy it. That way you can install the SYE in it leaving your Jeep drivable in the process and then just swap them out one afternoon.

I also need to upgrade to a durango box and still need to reinforce the inside of the box. Outside is braced with my front bumper mount. I do have alittle bit of stress cracking there that I am going to try and weld up too.
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #1260
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Agreed. . . Bump up to 35's. Don't waste your money on 32" duratracs. 35's and a pair of lunchbox lockers and you'll be set. Then some gears and other little things here and there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.