ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #736
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett07 View Post
I dont think you should do anything you cant justify
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Stretch it.
Build some solid arms and have a good time.
8 Johnny joints and profit!
**** buying them. !..!
That's a big negative on the stretch. I don't want to offend anyone on this forum, but stretching a XJ on anything under 37's or even 38's is really stupid. An XJ is at about 102" stock. TJ guys stretch to that for 35's-37's. IMO, the factory wb is perfect for 35's-37's. I wouldn't want any longer at my height or it would kill my break over angle. Wheel some big rock sections and you will understand where I'm coming from.

As far as building my own, I priced out the materials, and it really isn't that much more to just buy them. I'll spend that extra $100 or whatever it is and just bolt something in for once .!..!.

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #737
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95

Exactly

That's a big negative on the stretch. I don't want to offend anyone on this forum, but stretching a XJ on anything under 37's or even 38's is really stupid. An XJ is at about 102" stock. TJ guys stretch to that for 35's-37's. IMO, the factory wb is perfect for 35's-37's. I wouldn't want any longer at my height or it would kill my break over angle. Wheel some big rock sections and you will understand where I'm coming from.

As far as building my own, I priced out the materials, and it really isn't that much more to just buy them. I'll spend that extra $100 or whatever it is and just bolt something in for once .!..!.
**** that. !..!

Build em. And make a thread on it
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #738
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I vote go the Rokmen route. Not having a flatter control arm angle is something that can be nitpicked over a computer screen, but from the sound of it you are getting the performance you want out of your setup, and you seem happy with it overall. Id ask yourself if your CA angle has held you back in anyway out on the trail

Either way, just do something to get rid of the tin can stock UCA's.
CA angle on my XJ isn't bad, and it has not held me up from what I've wanted to do, ever. I can feel some binding sometimes, but I think that Currie JJ's in every end in the Rokmen arms would fix that. And yes, stock arms suck. BUT, they flex a little being sheet metal, and I'd honestly rather run those than a CA with rubber bushings in every end that would not flex.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #739
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
**** that. !..!

Build em. And make a thread on it
Here is a build thread.

1.Cut DOM down to stockish arm size.
2.Weld inserts in DOM
3.Turn in the JJ's.
4. Install

.!..!.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #740
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
CA angle on my XJ isn't bad, and it has not held me up from what I've wanted to do, ever. I can feel some binding sometimes, but I think that Currie JJ's in every end in the Rokmen arms would fix that. And yes, stock arms suck. BUT, they flex a little being sheet metal, and I'd honestly rather run those than a CA with rubber bushings in every end that would not flex.
I can agree with that, the weakness of the stock arms does certainly have the added bonus of improved flex haha.

Whatever you do, all we ask is wheel it hard and take pitcherzz.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #741
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT

I can agree with that, the weakness of the stock arms does certainly have the added bonus of improved flex haha.

Whatever you do, all we ask is wheel it hard and take pitcherzz.
Always!
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #742
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No update, but I'd like some feed back. I've been kicking the idea around of a 3 link mid arm, but I just don't think it will be worth it. The ONLY thing I can gain with a 3 link on the 3" coils I have now is a flatter control arm angle. Obviously, at 3" my angle isn't bad at all. I won't gain any FLECKS because I can fully extend my 10" shock now, as well as unseat the coil. The only way I can get a bigger shock is to lower my lower mounts or to raise my upper mounts somehow, but **** that, and flex isn't that much of a concern to me as I have enough I think. SOOO, I'm thinking a full set of Rokmen control arms would suit me. What do you guys think?
I like my 3link, but I think the SA's will do you just fine. I would have stayed with them at 4.5", but as you know the body mounts failed and forced my hand. At that point I decided it was worth it to build my own set-up that would outperform an off the shelf LA kit, for less. It was also a good excuse to build a nice D44. If I was in your shoes, I'd buy the Rokmen's and FIRI, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

As far as unseating the coil, you could always looks for a coil with a longer free length, that would give you the same amount of lift. I think it's Currie that makes some progressive TJ coils that have a longer free length than any XJ coil, you'd need a 4" coil for 3" of lift on an XJ IIRC. But like you said, you don't seem to have a problem keeping tires planted, so no need to change what works.

To be honest, I don't give a **** what you do as long as you get your *** to NACfest so we can talk **** and get drunk. Oh, and wheel I guess...
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #743
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hahahha. Sounds awesome. Yeah, the Currie springs are the ones to get from what I understand. Where are you guys staying for NACfest? And I will be up at RC to watch RCrocs in April....
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #744
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hahahha. Sounds awesome. Yeah, the Currie springs are the ones to get from what I understand. Where are you guys staying for NACfest? And I will be up at RC to watch RCrocs in April....
I want some Curries for my ZJ, but I think I'll need 6.5" TJ coils to match my 4.5" RE ZJ coils, not sure if they make them. Whatever, I max out the 12" Bilsteins now, I don't really need more than that.

I think me, Colin, Dave and Carmelo are getting a Cabin at PineGrove. That's where most people stay, and you can tent for pretty cheap. They'll post up all the info when sign ups start.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #745
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Here is a build thread.

1.Cut DOM down to stockish arm size.
2.Weld inserts in DOM
3.Turn in the JJ's.
4. Install

.!..!.
Sounds good.
Do it. Go! !..!
I may boost up idk 3.5 looks good but 4.5 would allow 3 link and 4 link would be sick.
God I need a life and tarrrrrzzzzz
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #746
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
I want some Curries for my ZJ, but I think I'll need 6.5" TJ coils to match my 4.5" RE ZJ coils, not sure if they make them. Whatever, I max out the 12" Bilsteins now, I don't really need more than that.

I think me, Colin, Dave and Carmelo are getting a Cabin at PineGrove. That's where most people stay, and you can tent for pretty cheap. They'll post up all the info when sign ups start.
Sweet. I want to get to NACfest. I want to wheel RC. And I wish I could fit a 12" shock!

Quote:
Sounds good.
Do it. Go! !..!
I may boost up idk 3.5 looks good but 4.5 would allow 3 link and 4 link would be sick.
God I need a life and tarrrrrzzzzz
DUDE. Before you build a 3 link because you THINK you need one, you need to put some wheeling time on your XJ on a small setup. Like the lift you have now and 33's. Seriously. You will never know what you really want for your XJ until you actually understand why you need it. Not knocking you, just trying to give you some helpful advice.
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #747
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Sweet. I want to get to NACfest. I want to wheel RC. And I wish I could fit a 12" shock!

DUDE. Before you build a 3 link because you THINK you need one, you need to put some wheeling time on your XJ on a small setup. Like the lift you have now and 33's. Seriously. You will never know what you really want for your XJ until you actually understand why you need it. Not knocking you, just trying to give you some helpful advice.
I know but the tinker in me is bored.
Views on swamper radials?
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #748
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95

Play with some Legos lol. Swamper radials are fine, but honestly any M/T aired down is good lol. Buy something that wears good.
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #749
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

RC is pretty fun, but the partying is the best.

x2 on wheeling it before you go crazy building it. Overbuilding does nothing but make you a ****ty driver who looks like a ****** in his rig he can't handle. 3-4" lift, 33's, armor, one or two lockers and wheel it like you stole it. When it's junk, think about all the **** that went wrong or you hated, and fix it in the next build. Repeat as necessary.

Quote:
I loved my 33" TSL radials, same with my 33" TrXus MT's and hated my 36" radials. Run whatever you can find used and cheap, buying new tires to wheel on is like buying a Mercedes for a demolition derby. It's ****ing stupid.
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #750
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

My question is do you EVAR plan on going higher? If there is any possibility that you may, then I say 3-link the front. What will it harm you to do it? Probably be just about the same cost as doing all new Johnny joints and arms. Plus it will allow you to go higher if you ever want to. That's just my .02

And the cheap coils being fine only depends on wheeling style. I don't want cheapo coils with poor spring rate and potential to sag quickly. I want to do go fast stuff and I don't dd mine so I don't care if it rides stiff. I have a set of 12" 7100's waiting to go on with 360/80 valving

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.