ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #721
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95

Have more what?
You said you had stock uppers and RE lowers, it seems like you would have something more than that, not sure, didn't see your tire wasn't touching the ground in the picture I want to get adjustable uppers and lowers sometime soon, and new shocks, my stuff is tired, and cheap to begin with :thumbsdown:

MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #722
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBillyTayloe View Post
You said you had stock uppers and RE lowers, it seems like you would have something more than that, not sure, didn't see your tire wasn't touching the ground in the picture I want to get adjustable uppers and lowers sometime soon, and new shocks, my stuff is tired, and cheap to begin with :thumbsdown:
It flexes good, but it could be better. You'll get there. People can say what they want, but cheap springs aren't necessarily a bad thing. I got cheap springs. Just upgrade the stuff around the springs to make it work good. Control arms, track bar, steering, shock length, bumpstops, and I could keep going. Make sure your track bar is double shear, and that you use good joints. I honestly like Currie Johnny joints. They are hard to beat.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #723
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Spring rate matters more than the price tag, thats what I looked at when choosing coils. Unloading is the biggest problem I had with my RC coils. Havent had that issue with my IRO coils but im still adding a suck down for peace of mind. Johnny joints are bomb, I might use those when I eventually put my track bar on top of the axle.
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #724
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser
Spring rate matters more than the price tag, thats what I looked at when choosing coils. Unloading is the biggest problem I had with my RC coils. Havent had that issue with my IRO coils but im still adding a suck down for peace of mind. Johnny joints are bomb, I might use those when I eventually put my track bar on top of the axle.
I know you work for IRO, I figured they just relabeled RC coils for IRO. So my coils are actually IRO? Lawl
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #725
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I know you work for IRO, I figured they just relabeled RC coils for IRO. So my coils are actually IRO? Lawl
My understanding is it depends on the lift of the coil. IRO uses some RC coils but I believe my 5.5" IRO springs were made for IRO.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #726
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

All coils are IRO besides the 5.5" painted silver. Those are RC. They use the same spring rate as the IRO coils IIRC. But the rest of the coils are all IRO. I was gonna run the 5.5" RC coils but my truss adds about an inch of lift so the 4" coils will set me a little under 5". I just chose the IROs based on spring rates compared to others.
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #727
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
All coils are IRO besides the 5.5" painted silver. Those are RC. They use the same spring rate as the IRO coils IIRC. But the rest of the coils are all IRO. I was gonna run the 5.5" RC coils but my truss adds about an inch of lift so the 4" coils will set me a little under 5". I just chose the IROs based on spring rates compared to others.
LOL so I am going to throw away my 5.5" coils now.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #728
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser
So what's the rate difference between IRO and RC?
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #729
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
LOL so I am going to throw away my 5.5" coils now.
Ahaha go ahead and put RC in your sig. Ill wait.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #730
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know rubicon express is 230lb and I like the way it feels firm and not loose.
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #731
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It depends on the coil, IIRC the 4" coils are around 230 and RC is around 180. I like the coils a little stiffer to help with un-loading on off-camber stuff. And dont throw away those coils they are good no worries there haha. Rough Country has some hits and some misses but those coils are good quality.
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #732
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

No update, but I'd like some feed back. I've been kicking the idea around of a 3 link mid arm, but I just don't think it will be worth it. The ONLY thing I can gain with a 3 link on the 3" coils I have now is a flatter control arm angle. Obviously, at 3" my angle isn't bad at all. I won't gain any FLECKS because I can fully extend my 10" shock now, as well as unseat the coil. The only way I can get a bigger shock is to lower my lower mounts or to raise my upper mounts somehow, but **** that, and flex isn't that much of a concern to me as I have enough I think. SOOO, I'm thinking a full set of Rokmen control arms would suit me. What do you guys think?
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #733
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I dont think you should do anything you cant justify
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #734
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stretch it.
Build some solid arms and have a good time.
8 Johnny joints and profit!
**** buying them. !..!
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #735
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
No update, but I'd like some feed back. I've been kicking the idea around of a 3 link mid arm, but I just don't think it will be worth it. The ONLY thing I can gain with a 3 link on the 3" coils I have now is a flatter control arm angle. Obviously, at 3" my angle isn't bad at all. I won't gain any FLECKS because I can fully extend my 10" shock now, as well as unseat the coil. The only way I can get a bigger shock is to lower my lower mounts or to raise my upper mounts somehow, but **** that, and flex isn't that much of a concern to me as I have enough I think. SOOO, I'm thinking a full set of Rokmen control arms would suit me. What do you guys think?
I vote go the Rokmen route. Not having a flatter control arm angle is something that can be nitpicked over a computer screen, but from the sound of it you are getting the performance you want out of your setup, and you seem happy with it overall. Id ask yourself if your CA angle has held you back in anyway out on the trail

Either way, just do something to get rid of the tin can stock UCA's.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.