ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build - Page 113 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #1681
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Meh, I actually think my bedline job was an improvement over the paint that it had

2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #1682
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
I regretted bedlining half my red xj every day. Leave the factory paint trust me. I had a hard time spending $5 on color match and clear for the fender and header panel on my white xj
Why did you regret the bedliner? I love mine. I like the look of just having the bedliner on the lower doors and then up on the rear quarter panels better, but the easy touch up of rattle can bedliner can't be beat. I did some bodywork and wasn't about to color match ****, so . . . . Bedliner to the rescue. Now when I want color on anything I spray a few coats of bedliner, coat or two of metallic siver, and then the color of my choice. It gives a nice texture, is still easy to clean, and looks purty (see my tierod and drag link. . . Also doing mototcycle stuff the same way)
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #1683
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95

If your going to wheel a Jeep, cosmetics should be the least of your worries. I'd rather have a scratched and dented to hell factory finish than have my Jeep looking like a lifted lava rock....
This is my dd I'm not scared of scratches or body damage but I don't like the color white if the thing was green then I wouldn't worry with it. I have grown to hate my white paint. What's the difference in do it yourself and having someone do it it just comes down to the product. I have seen a ton of line x jobs that look terrible and have tons of problems because it wasn't done right. I'm not going to pay someone top dollar to do it when I could....kinda like fixing my pos I refuse to take it to the shop
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #1684
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser
I regretted bedlining half my red xj every day. Leave the factory paint trust me. I had a hard time spending $5 on color match and clear for the fender and header panel on my white xj
What bedliner did u use? Cheap crap from autozone I'm sure, you don't see negative comments on monsta. To eatches own but I guess you will just have to judge when it's done I suppose. Sorry about junking up the thread bud
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #1685
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I love raptor liner, and I'm sure monsta liner is similar, for the inside, but I don't dig the texture for the outside. I like the texture of rattle can bedliner a lot better. I know it isn't as durable and will need redone every other year or so, but it'S cheap and I'm ok with that. It's just my beater. I will be doing mine by next Spring at some point. Right now I just need to finish up the other **** to get it legal and back on the road.
Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #1686
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

ibj,

Did you weld the 3 link brackets on with 110v or 220v? Just curious as Im wanting to upgrade to a similar setup or maybe even build my own come spring time. I trust my welds but seems like nearly everyone is doing that kinda stuff with 220v and idk if Ill have a 220 hookup out here by then. I see no reason why 110v wouldnt work (assuming welds are getting good penetration) but itd make me feel better if I knew someone who's done it.

Reading that back it sounds like a total ****in newbie question but I haul my daughter in this thing so cant be too safe lol
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #1687
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
ibj,

Did you weld the 3 link brackets on with 110v or 220v? Just curious as Im wanting to upgrade to a similar setup or maybe even build my own come spring time. I trust my welds but seems like nearly everyone is doing that kinda stuff with 220v and idk if Ill have a 220 hookup out here by then. I see no reason why 110v wouldnt work (assuming welds are getting good penetration) but itd make me feel better if I knew someone who's done it.

Reading that back it sounds like a total ****in newbie question but I haul my daughter in this thing so cant be too safe lol
My 3 link was to be 100% bolt on, but it was a pain in the a$$ and came with "spacers" to space the brackets away from the frame. It pissed me off, so I put bolts everywhere they were supposed to go. I then took my 110 and welded up the brackets to where they mount on the outside of the frame and the front of the bracket on the underside of the frame. IF, for some reason, my welds let go, the bolts would keep it together until I got it off the road safely.

Honestly, if I was to do it again, I would build my own 3 link. I would even consider using my 110. I think that if you prepped everything well, welded to clean metal, and welded everywhere you could, it would be fine. Frame stiffeners are a must. However, I'm a 23 year old college kid that has no kids and the only people that really ride in my XJ are me and my girlfriend, and I am the only one that drives it. It also is not a DD. I'm not saying that I'm not concerned for safety, because I very much am. With your kids in your rig, you will definitely want it to not fly apart (obviously) and for extra protection, a 220 might not be a bad idea, just for that extra security. But if you have 200% trust in your welding, go for it. I trust mine, but I know it could be better. Thus, I am taking a welding class along with my other college classes this semester.

But if it makes you feel better, I welded my 8.25 with my Lincoln 110 flux core and have beaten the absolute nuts off of it and so far the spiders are still holding together. I'm afraid to check the axle shafts, the splines are probably twisted.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #1688
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
My 3 link was to be 100% bolt on, but it was a pain in the a$$ and came with "spacers" to space the brackets away from the frame. It pissed me off, so I put bolts everywhere they were supposed to go. I then took my 110 and welded up the brackets to where they mount on the outside of the frame and the front of the bracket on the underside of the frame. IF, for some reason, my welds let go, the bolts would keep it together until I got it off the road safely.

Honestly, if I was to do it again, I would build my own 3 link. I would even consider using my 110. I think that if you prepped everything well, welded to clean metal, and welded everywhere you could, it would be fine. Frame stiffeners are a must. However, I'm a 23 year old college kid that has no kids and the only people that really ride in my XJ are me and my girlfriend, and I am the only one that drives it. It also is not a DD. I'm not saying that I'm not concerned for safety, because I very much am. With your kids in your rig, you will definitely want it to not fly apart (obviously) and for extra protection, a 220 might not be a bad idea, just for that extra security. But if you have 200% trust in your welding, go for it. I trust mine, but I know it could be better. Thus, I am taking a welding class along with my other college classes this semester.

But if it makes you feel better, I welded my 8.25 with my Lincoln 110 flux core and have beaten the absolute nuts off of it and so far the spiders are still holding together. I'm afraid to check the axle shafts, the splines are probably twisted.
Ah, thanks for all the info, that helps a ton. Im still a little ways away from tackling this, and plan to have more supporting mods done by then (stiffeners being one of those). I feel I could pull it off just fine with my 110, just may not be as quick of a process, ive flipped breakers a few times when I lay too long of weld at one time.

Im actually not much older than you, Ive only got one little girl and she's just 2 lol. The Jeeps not really even my DD either, I just drive it a bunch cause I like to drive it more than the gas sipper Corolla I drive to work haha. When it comes time to wrench I usually park it for a week or two at a time, and will do the same when I tackle this project. I mainly just wanted to get sort of a second opinion from you, cause I remembered you saying you welded the 8.25 with a 110, and know you give it hell. Figured you'd have a good grasp on how it would work.

Honestly, its become more a toy after every wheeling trip this year so Im not too hung up on tainting the poor boxy bastard anymore haha. Anymore I just want to take on something new n see how it goes. Not interested in any longarm kit on the market (within decent price), Id just really like to get something together that suits my needs, with the bonus of "hey, I built that ****."
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #1689
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know what you mean. The RK was the closest thing to what I wanted, but I think I could have done it better. Maybe one day...
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #1690
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You guys are gay, just jb weld it.
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #1691
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
To expensive for XJ guys.

Bailing wire and double bubble. .!..!.
Luke95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #1692
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1
You're gay, you painted a perfectly good set of Rubicon wheels black... .!..!.
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #1693
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95

To expensive for XJ guys.

Bailing wire and double bubble. .!..!.
You know how I know you're from New England?
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #1694
Weeder1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95

You're gay, you painted a perfectly good set of Rubicon wheels black... .!..!.
Cause i just dont give a fugg
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #1695
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder1 View Post
Jb weld is too strong, the extra rigidity will stiffen the ride too much, lower my credit score, and cause Jehovahs witness to flock to the house. Its science.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.