Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ibjeepin95's 99' XJ Build

309K views 2K replies 87 participants last post by  Badmunky 
#1 ·
Current pic: 10/5/14

Well folks, I said I was going back to an XJ so that's what I did. Just a recap on my previous Jeeps...

My first XJ the day I sold it. 95' Sport 5 speed...

My second.... 87' Waggy XJ w/ factory 44 and HP non disco 30. Wish I kept this one...

And of course, my TJ I just recently sold....

Well after my TJ, I started looking for my next XJ. I knew I wanted a 97'+, so that's what I went after. While searching craigslist, I came across a 99' with 130k miles. Girl that owned it said it needed a radiator. All it really needed was a cap. Talked her down to $1600 and brought it home. Had some awesome seat covers and looked and smelled like an ash tray inside...

See less See more
#2 ·
My plans for this Jeep are similar to my TJ, just in XJ form. Keep it low, stable, and keep it streetable. 35's are the tire size and keep the D30 (for now) and swap my 8.8 in. Locked f/r. So with this in mine, I began to order parts.

3 inch springs and add a leaf ( just cause I had a decent set of springs)

My decent leaf pack for the aal

And not pictured is my Clayton track bar w/ Johnny Joint and bracket and some 15x8 steel wheels I got from RC scatch n' dent...

So a few weeks ago Josh and I got working on the lift...

stock and awesome saggy springs...

Everything needed for elevation including the new white RC shocks, cause you ain't wheeling in the south unless your on white shocks....

Josh approves...

Clayton bracket

Finished it up

#5 ·
So I was dead set on MT/R's or KM2's but of course they are back ordered til' June. So I ordered tires I never thought I'd own... 35x12.50x15 Pro Comp M/T's from 4WD. Hey, they have a 3 ply sidewall and are fairly price. Either those or Baja Clawzzz.

Washed it the other day...

Today I cut and folded the rear quarters. I probably wouldn't have done it but the pass. side was crushed from an incident from the PO. Also cut the bumper at an angle...

#11 ·
Looking good so far. I would have never thought that I would like a cherokee but seeing all of yalls lined up made me think twice. Maybe I will add one to my Jeep collection in the future. After Im done with my YJ I am dead set on getting a Waggy. Good luck and I will be watching this thread.

#12 ·
Sweet looking XJ! Can't wait to see the low COG with those 35s. I have the same colored jeep also.:cool:

#16 ·
Thanks James. I got more, I'll get them up Monday night. I work three 12's Saturday, Sunday, Monday, so I'm kinda tired. Btw, that's a cell phone pic. Anyways, I got a lot of things to work out. For now, it's able to be driven, and I have been driving it. The shop balanced the tires but I don't think they are right because it has a little bit of shimmy til about 55-60. As far as flex, bump stops will happen within the next week or two. I also need to clean the front fender trim up some, as it was a quick job just to get the tires on. Like I said, I got a lot of things to do before it's "right" in my mind. D35 probably won't like wheelin' those big tarz. Though I've done it before...

#17 ·
4.5 clears the 35's pretty nice. maybe some coil spacers and shackles with your lift will also help it out a little bit.
on my girls cherokee i did the 4.5 with a shackle in the back and bushwacker flat flares and it clears 35's fine for flex and we didn't trim much.

ill be following curious to how it will all end up

#21 ·
BTW, new pics...

I also pulled the wheel weights off cause they weren't balanced right. They actually ride better with no weights. Has some shimmy in the front, so I ordered a a steering stsbilizer.....from Rusty's :peaking: I figured they couldn't screw that up, plus I ordered the one with heims. This one: http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS-616&Category_Code=ste

We will see how it goes. I need to order a new tie rod cause the stock one is hatin' life right now. Also, I will probably be doing my SYE next Wednesday. Anyone have any idea if a stock front shaft will work with around 3 inches of lift??

#25 ·
I don't think mine looks hacked but to each their own opinion. It's not my DD but the tires ride smooth on the road. Lots of things to come. Most likely getting a 3 link with Currie JJ's on every end, 1 ton steering down the road and a steering box brace. Probably some unibody plating later on also.

#26 ·
Yesterday I got the stabilizer from Rusty's and slapped it on. Sad part is I really can't tell a difference :laugh:

Today I picked up a drive shaft from an auto XJ so I can do my SYE. I don't think I mentioned it before but I do have a new SYE that I kept from my TJ.

On a side note I found out what I am getting back from my taxes and a Clayton Pro series 3 link may be on order sooner than I thought :shhh:

#27 ·
Gorgeous XJ man! you shouldn't have a problem with the front drive shaft at that height. My old ZJ ran 4.5" and my YJ at 4.5" and now 3" haven't had a problem with the factory drive shafts. I laughed so hard when you said "cause you ain't wheeling in the south unless your on white shocks...." Sad but true :rofl:

#28 ·
^^ Oh wow hey now.. I just noticed you're profile says Harrisonburg, VA!!??

How is it I haven't seen you rollin around man?? I'm a super senior here at JMU.. maybe seen me rollin around?

98' Classic with a rear swing out and the Hellas..

Just got my IRO trackbar tuesday which is the last of the parts I needed to go 3.5"..now I have to find the damn time to put everything on..
We should do some wheelin sir!

Build is coming along nicely!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.