I want to buy a welder!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I want to buy a welder!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
LeeBee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I want to buy a welder!!

I've slowly been buying equipment and tools so that I can have welding capability. Now its time to get a decent welder. Any recommendations on what a good buy would be? I'd like to put together a front and rear bumper for my 99 XJ, I also have a trailer that needs some work. Don't want to spend too much money, but I don't want a piece of crap either. Mabye a used mig or tig that stands the test of time?

Last edited by LeeBee; 06-25-2008 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: mistake
LeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
00BlackdOut
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can find used MIG welders all the time. My suggestion would be to buy a welder that is capable of running gas. Good brands are Miller & Lincoln(I prefer Lincolns, but it's all preference). If you're going to primarily do flux-core welding, Lincoln developed the system so it's best to run their wire, contact tips, machines, etc. I'd wait on a TIG until you learn how to weld efficiently with another process. TIG is an expensive process, and your cost does not lye solely in the machine. Just my $0.02.
00BlackdOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
TheRo0sTer
2000 WJ 

Ease of use go with Mig. If you don't want to be buy a bulkier 220v welder then invest in a propane torch and buy a 110v. That way when you get into the 1/4" and up you can preheat the welding area. Or you can go big and save time.

I agree with 00Black on the TIG. There are 14 people in my shop of the 14 I'd say 5 are proficient enough to call them TIG welders. It takes lots of practice and cleaning to get nice beads. I've been TIG welding for 18yrs and I didn't become proficient in TIG till 5yrs after I was taught. Positive side of owning a TIG welder, you can weld every weldable material there is with it. Cost goes up with Argon, Cups, Tungsten (multiple diameters), torch parts (caps, collets and collet bodies) and any prep equipment.

www.militaryjeepers.com
TheRo0sTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
LeeBee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BlackdOut View Post
You can find used MIG welders all the time. My suggestion would be to buy a welder that is capable of running gas. Good brands are Miller & Lincoln(I prefer Lincolns, but it's all preference). If you're going to primarily do flux-core welding, Lincoln developed the system so it's best to run their wire, contact tips, machines, etc. I'd wait on a TIG until you learn how to weld efficiently with another process. TIG is an expensive process, and your cost does not lye solely in the machine. Just my $0.02.
I'm not familiar with gas welders, how do these work? I'm used to the old stick welders. Are the mig's a self fed welder?
Unread 06-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
TheRo0sTer
2000 WJ 

Mig is self fed with either flux core wire or coverage gas. Both work fine, flux is a little messier than gas. Gas burns hotter.

www.militaryjeepers.com
TheRo0sTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

With flux wire as is burn it created a shield to protect the weld wich later needs to be chisled off as slag just like the old stick method.
the gas mig as mix of argon/co2 is common and protect the weld, there is no slag with gas to be chisled off later.

with flux wire you can weld slightly thicker metals that with gas. The flux wire gets jsut a tad more penetration.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
hermantherugger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a Hobart Handler 187 Mig welder. I picked up a bottle of C25 to weld with solid 0.030" wire. It's a nice setup, but I wish I would have saved myself some money, and went with the Hobart Handler 140. Runs on 120V (household power) instead of me running a new outlet to the garage. The outlet wasn't a big deal, but the additional cost of the unit was pretty substantial.

Here's some links to use as a reference. Also, Hobart is made by Miller. It's a great unit.

Here's what I bought - Hobart Handler 187

Here's the 120V unit - Hobart Handler 140

I ended up getting free shipping, and a free welder cart when I ordered from Northern Tool.

Last edited by hermantherugger; 06-25-2008 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Added links
hermantherugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I also have a Hobart 187. Nice unit and has 2 more voltage settings than the Lincoln that Lowes and HD sells. Got mine at tractor supply and paid about $580 after sale and 10% off coupon, which I just got another one in the mail for July 1-13th.

Check out the fabrication section on the forum main page. There's a lot of stuff on welders.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.