I now own a 2000 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I now own a 2000 Cherokee

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
tsvallette
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I now own a 2000 Cherokee

So about a week ago I was driving around and wasn't really looking for another vehicle and noticed a Blue Jeep that was setting in the back side of a car lot. I went in and checked it out. You could tell that someone had brought it in for a trade and didn't bother to clean it out. So I looked at it further and noticed that the body is in good condition but the under body is in excellent condition!

The next day I went back to the car lot and talked to one of the staff members, he told me that the person that owned it was driving it in to trade it in and the engine died just with in a mile from them. They had inspected the engine and pulled the dip stick. There's coolant mixed in with the oil. So with no further inspecting and they concluded that the engine is done. I asked them about a price and we both decided that $700 was a fair price.

A few days later I came back in and bought it. I attached my tow bar to the front end and hauled it home. Now here is what I want to do but now I am not sure if it can be done. I want to pull the engine and swap out the block. I still have my 95 that I drive but I really want to use the 95s engine block as a donor. As far as I have read the blocks are interchangeable. Is this correct? or am I going to have problems?

95 Build/Rebuild
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/my-1995-400-expense-948376/
tsvallette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You don't want to change the block, you want the swap the cylinder head and get an engine rebuild kit. 2000-2001 had 0331 cylinder heads, which means they are prone to cracking when over heated. Which explains why coolant mixed with the oil..

So what you need to do is find a 2000 cylinder head that has the stronger casting, maybe someone will clarify what exact cylinder head you need.
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's a 0331 head, you may need a new engine or you maybe have to just replace the head and main bearings. Without coolant in the oil are you sure it's cracked? When the head cracks it doesn't usually just kill the engine like that., it takes a little bit.
If it is cracked you need a new head either from clear water cylinder heads, it's beefed up in the spot (between 3rd and 4th) and shouldn't crack.
You can also find another 0331 head at the junkyard but I doubt you will find many without being cracked. or you can also get a 2002+ 0331 head as this head had the problem corrected.
You may use older 4.0 heads but the exhaust ports are different sizes and you need to make a mount for the coil pack.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.