I need good floormats for XJ. I need advice-recommendations - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I need good floormats for XJ. I need advice-recommendations

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Quadratec floor mats in my Cherokee XJ are awesome. Best floor mats I've ever seen.

Except for one problem.

I can't push gas pedal quite far enough to shift into passing gear. I am going to have to cut out the part of the matt that is below the gas pedal.

I still highly recommend the Quadratec floor mats and I would buy them again, but they require minor modification so you can still put the hammer down.

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I can't push gas pedal quite far enough to shift into passing gear. I am going to have to cut out the part of the matt that is below the gas pedal.
Sounds like you should adjust your kick-down cable. I have Q-tec mats, and my tranny kicks down well before I hit the mat.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Sounds like you should adjust your kick-down cable. I have Q-tec mats, and my tranny kicks down well before I hit the mat.
That's a good idea. Thanks.

However, what about full throttle? I can adjust the kick down cable, but I still want to be able to push skinny pedeal to full throttle after it kicks down.

Do you have suggestions for that? Not being a smart butt, I promise. I'm really asking.
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's a good idea. Thanks.

However, what about full throttle? I can adjust the kick down cable, but I still want to be able to push skinny pedeal to full throttle after it kicks down.

Do you have suggestions for that? Not being a smart butt, I promise. I'm really asking.
Dunno. I've never really felt like my Q-tec mat gets in the way of my pedal, but I also rarely--if ever--need to or want to floor it.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A few 60 mph highway mountain passes here require down shifting to 3rd, maybe even 2nd. I should start using the manual shifter to 3rd anyway.

While downshifted, full throttle is still needed to get up to 60 mph when the on-ramp and highway are 7% grade. Once up to speed, 3/4 throttle will keep me there (as long as it stays in 3rd).

There are much steeper grades in some towns here. If you don't live in mountains, you'd have to see to believe they can pave a mountain-side and call it a street or a highway.

That is with 30s and 3.55 gears and no armor.

I will soon add 250 lbs (skidplates, a few braces, and small winch). Then it'll really be a difficult until I regear.

Western mountains (like my area) is where V8s are a useful tool, and not just a fun toy. 6 cyl engines struggle here. This is why I like 30s and not sure if I ever want 31s. I had 33s and armor on prior Jeep and it was regeared to 4.88 and struggled like fat boy running up a mountain. No more 33s in the mountains ever again, unless V8, but that'd be a gas hog. So 30 or 31 and regeared (for either) with 6 cyl for me.

I have a practical need for full throttle to be able to go speed limit on highways through mountain passes, even after I regear.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe I need a cold air intake and a cam and header too? I mean in addition to full throttle and regearing.

Well, first I'll get back full throttle ability, then make my own cold air intake, regear later, then we'll see if I need a cam and header.
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update:

The Quadratec floormats I ordered (front, rear, and cargo) are excellent. They are the best floormats I've ever seen. Everyone who sees them comments on how good they are.

HOWEVER, the driver's side front floormat was preventing my gas pedal from going all the way to floor. I noticed this weekly because one of the mountain passes I must drive through needs full throttle to go 65 mph to pass anyone. It's even a struggle to get up to 60 mph.

I used a razor knife to cut out the floormat behind the gas pedal.

Note: My stock XJ floormats are shaped from factory to NOT go behind gas pedal.

---

In addition to the above, I think there might be something wrong with my engine because gas mileage is bad and mid rpm and higher rpm power is weak.

Note: My Weathertec floor mats in my Buick are shaped from factory to NOT go behind gas pedal.

So it appears to me that the best design for a floormat is to NOT go behind gas pedal.

The Quadratec XJ floormats are still the best I've seen for XJs and are a great price too. I highly recommend Quadratec floormats, but also recommend using a razor knife to trim the driver's floormat so it does NOT go behind gas pedal.

Now my XJ downshifts to passing gear and can go full throttle when necesary.

I would buy Quadratec floormats again. They are excellent.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My Huskys have done me really well over the years.

Not a single complaint.

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This is cool, IMO.

The Quadratec mats are great, but only available in black. Best price for sure.

Rugged Ridge offers the same matts as Quadratec, but Rugged Ridge offers them in black, tan, and grey. The RR cost more than Qtec, but worth it if you want tan or grey.

Quadratec sells both their brand and the Rugged Ridge brand mats. If you call and tell them you're a Jeepforum member and order by phone, you get free shipping (on any parts). Free shipping makes them the best price on mats and most other parts too.
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #25
XJmike0122
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you have to floor it to pass someone just chill out and save some wear and tear on your motor. Wow look at me I got here 15 seconds faster.
XJmike0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #26
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone know who sells rearfloormats that will fit with power seats? I have a set of huskys but they do not fit very well.
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeni View Post
Does anyone know who sells rearfloormats that will fit with power seats? I have a set of huskys but they do not fit very well.
I don't know. Call Quadratec and ask them. They are knowledgeable and helpful.
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have a power driver's seat, and the Qtec mats fit fine as they are just simple rectangles. In hindsight I'd have preferred the Rugged Ridge rear mat because it is the same as the Qtecs (fronts are identical) but the rears are connected by a section that goes over the tunnel.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I have a power driver's seat, and the Qtec mats fit fine as they are just simple rectangles. In hindsight I'd have preferred the Rugged Ridge rear mat because it is the same as the Qtecs (fronts are identical) but the rears are connected by a section that goes over the tunnel.
I don't understand. Are you saying the front and rear are identical, or different? (between Qtec and Rug Ridge)

I'm pretty sure the fronts are identical. I'm not sure about the rear.

My Qtec rear are really nice because the cover the rear floor and the hump.
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #30
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't understand. Are you saying the front and rear are identical, or different? (between Qtec and Rug Ridge)

I'm pretty sure the fronts are identical. I'm not sure about the rear.

My Qtec rear are really nice because the cover the rear floor and the hump.
Qtec and RR fronts are identical. The rears differ in that the Qtecs are two separate rectangular mats while the RR are larger rectangular mats but connected to each other by a flap (for lack of a better word right now) that covers the middle hump.

Plus, I've seen RR mats that can be had with a Jeep logo instead of the RR or Qtec logo. That's neat.

EDIT: I just found a photo of the better rear mats with Qtec logos on them. I guess Qtec is selling this style now as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.