I love NOS... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I love NOS...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 09-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
ChefEvans
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I love NOS...

i've had the 99 xj for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to improve the stereo. it's been a long time since i had a jamming stereo system. i really enjoyed installing everthing. i messed around with stereo equipment alot on my youth, and i haven't done that in years. a friend of mine hooked me up with some sweet NOS Sony equipment. i've been a sony person since i was a teenager, always had good service with it. i got everything in the picture for under $200, including the new $130 receiver. i outgrew the big bass craze a long time ago. now i'm into clarity and well-rounded sound. i popped in some metallica, santana and disturbed for the maiden trip after the install and holy s**t it's amazing the output the receiver can generate. way back when huge woofers and powered eq's were the craze, it took a ton of equipment to generate the power and clarity you can get from a single head unit now.

sweet!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=10477944

before i installed everything i decided to bypass the factory wiring to the front speakers since they are so prone to be rubbed in two at the door grommet, so I ran the wires for the fronts straight from the head unit to the crossovers.

two weeks from now i will be totally deaf. cool.

Unread 09-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
spatulahunter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What is sony NOS?
spatulahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
ChefEvans
1999 XJ Cherokee 

NOS - New Old Stock

Say for instance you own a parts house and you buy a sh*tload of parts, say fifty pair of Jeep headlights. You only sell half of them so you take them off of the shelf to make room for newer items. Months or years later you decide to sell them off. They are still in the original packaging, still in new condition and are just sitting there collecting dust. You sell them as NOS - new old stock. The great thing about NOS items is that you can almost always get them cheaper than new parts, and you can also find hard to find parts that are no longer made. I almost always look for NOS items if I am looking for a part that costs over a certain amount of money. Think about it this way - if you save some money buying a NOS item, that's more money you can spend on other stuff. I got my component speakers for little of nothing, in perfect condition since they were stored in a climate controlled building. They work and look brand new. So for the same amount it would have cost me to buy the speakers alone, I got the speakers and a second pair of new speakers for the rear for less than I would have spent on the component speakers alone had I went to a store or bought them off of the internet new. Freakin' sweet! You can find NOS items all over if you know how to look.

The downside of the term NOS is that it was popularized in that stupid 'Fast & Furious' movie as a term for Nitrous Oxide Systems, so now when alot of people hear the term NOS they think it's somehow referring to laughing gas. It can be of course, but when it comes to parts it means New Old Stock. I'm a stoned-to-the-bone cheapskate when it comes to certain things and buying NOS parts and items has saved me a ton of $$$.
Unread 09-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
oldmanriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefEvans View Post
The downside of the term NOS is that it was popularized in that stupid 'Fast & Furious' movie as a term for Nitrous Oxide Systems, so now when alot of people hear the term NOS they think it's somehow referring to laughing gas. It can be of course, but when it comes to parts it means New Old Stock. I'm a stoned-to-the-bone cheapskate when it comes to certain things and buying NOS parts and items has saved me a ton of $$$.
I thought you meant the energy drink, I was all ready for

Not used to hearing NOS used that way outside of classic cars.

'90 xj: Wrecked, waiting for the day it can become a full blown trail rig.

'00 wj SOLD (still in family)
oldmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
spatulahunter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok i see. I thought that maybe sony made a cheesy new line that i didnt know about.
spatulahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.