i have bad luck with wheels (wheel fell off *pics*) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > i have bad luck with wheels (wheel fell off *pics*)

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 08-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
1988XJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i have bad luck with wheels (wheel fell off *pics*)

ok awhile back i told this story http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592415 and i fixed it and torqued all the wheels to the correct specs then went wheeling. on the way home from wheeling i stop at a stop light and see a lug fly out, im thinking **** not again! so i go to make the corner to pull over and boom! the whole front end of the jeep drops, and i look out of my window and see my tire rolling across the intersection and my first instinct is to try to grab the tire, ha ha i didn't get it. at this point i am driving on my rotor for about 10 feet and quick bring it to a stop. jump out of my jeep and grab the tire and come back to my jeep. then all my buddies come running back to help me out, they were in my friends cj-5. luckily a cop was near so he came called for towing and directed traffic with some other people. so the good thing was no one was hurt and i got to ride home in a CUMMINS tow truck.

here are a few pictures:

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611854
1988 jeep cherokee trimed fenders, 2 inch lift, 32X11.50 Bfg mt's

Last edited by 1988XJ; 08-18-2008 at 01:32 AM..
1988XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
wil badger

Looks like a couple have snapped on you.The thing with bolts/lugs are that they stretch when you tighten them.This stretching is what holds the nut in place.When you over tighten something to many times it tends not to return to its original length/form.If the lug nuts were always being put on with an impact gun or just way over tightened you could have fatigued them.Get some new studs,hammer the old ones out,press some new ones in and tighten to proper specs.
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
scavengerj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ouch! Been there done that, only problem was I was on the highway doing 70mph during rush hour. Talk about a trip! LoL
scavengerj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Urban wheeling carnage!! Awesome. I envy you....

Were you wheeling before this happened? Maybe had something to do with the final lugs ripping off but I'm sure it was over time. glad I do enough crap to mine that I know what condition everything is on my steering and brakes and such.
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
KentuckyXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

so you saw a lug nut come off and you kept driving?
1986 SVO mustang turbo 4cyl... stock long block with a few extra pounds of boost 350RWHP 380TRQ new setup and more power coming soon
KentuckyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

that sux bigtime
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
dualsub2006
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I were you I would replace every stud and nut and in doing so I would set the proper torque (100lbs ish) on every one of them. You have had this happen now twice. It happened to me once on a road trip just after I got my 2nd Discovery. Riding down the highway and snap. My tire didn't come off, but I wasn't willing to risk it. I towed it to my friends house (my destination) and after I got the parts we spent that next Saturday afternoon replacing every nut and stud on the vehicle.

Those studs will stretch over time and letting someone impact them on as hard as hell puts stress on them. Enough of that and they will twist right off. Replacing studs is actually really easy and I would set about doing it all the way around before I took this thing anywhere again. The next time it comes off (and given your history I would bet that there will be a next time) might be at highway speed.
dualsub2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

Factory torque spec for the lug nuts is 75 ft lbs. I'm thinking maybe the problem is related more to the wheel and/or the type of lug nut used.
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #364[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #101[/COLOR]
Slowride63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

LOL i had this happen before! little different though, i was doing 75mph down the highway at 9pm going though one of the the busyest citys in MI (lansing) Sucks big time! mine was the rear though....
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That sucks man. Glad you didn't get in a wreck or anything because of that.

You OWNED that pavement though... damn.

How does the bottom part of the brake rotor look?
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same thing happen to me on Saturday 8/16.
I just finished putting new pads and rotors on my XJ and was on my way back to Advance to get a wheel stud (one was broken from the previous owner) goin down the road at about 40mph and the driver side drops i look out the window and see my tire rolling next to me. went off the road, up a little embankment back across the road in front of me and into a field. I happened to stop in front of some guys house who was outside and was nice enough to grab his jack and a tire iron, and in about 5 min was back on my way. Grabbed one lug from the other 3 wheels and went to Advance to but 1 wheel stud and 6 lug nuts.
now my brand new rotor has a big flat spot on it. could have been worse though.
see what happens when you forget to tighten the lugs?

edit - 1988XJ - this happened in Wind Gap? HAHA I never have had a good experience with those cops, they were always a-holes to me. We should get together and go wheelin. I'm not too far from there.

Last edited by 98CherokeeLTD; 08-19-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: noticed somethin in the picture
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.