I hate stop leak!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I hate stop leak!!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I hate stop leak!!!

I'm throwing myself upon the mercy of the forums for an answer to clean this crap out of my jeep! I bought my xj over 2 years ago with a cracked head and the PO tried to fix it with bars leak. So far I've flushed it over 8 times and its cost me 2 water pumps, a heater core, 2 thermostats, and all the hoses. I just flushed it again and its still in there! My reservoir was full of this rubbery brown crap and its running hot again. I'm open to any suggestions.

Unread 08-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob082484 View Post
I'm throwing myself upon the mercy of the forums for an answer to clean this crap out of my jeep! I bought my xj over 2 years ago with a cracked head and the PO tried to fix it with bars leak. So far I've flushed it over 8 times and its cost me 2 water pumps, a heater core, 2 thermostats, and all the hoses. I just flushed it again and its still in there! My reservoir was full of this rubbery brown crap and its running hot again. I'm open to any suggestions.
Did you replace the radiator? The radiator has many parallel paths so it is nearly impossible to flush it out completely (water will follow the pat of least resistance so once a few tubes are open the rest will remain plugged as water will now only flow through the "open" tubes). Flush the block/head as thoroughly as you can (if there is a block drain plug remove it), and back-flush the heather core.

Unfortunately "stop-leak" is a notorious pain to clean up. All you can really do is keep flushing, eventually it will all come out.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
blubullett
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Most stop leak products are more like a brown paste. The only time I have seen "rubbery brown crap" is when green and orange antifreeze are mixed. It forms into a brown rubbery/jelly-like substance that is super hard to remove from your motor. You would need a new radiator and heater core and then flush the block with the plug removed to get it out. If you can't get stop leak out wthin a couple flushes you aren't doing something right.
blubullett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

My blazer was like that, I needed to change hoses and water pump
Along with radiator so I poured a good amount of simple green cleaner inside and ran it for few days. After that I replaced all parts and hoses and it was clean
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.