I was given a tow strap with hooks... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I was given a tow strap with hooks...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 03-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Teej
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I was given a tow strap with hooks...

I know that they basically suck, but my dad gave it to me. It's got a 14,200 pound capacity. Is there any safe way to use it at all?

Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

don't yank with it!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

X2. What he said. It'll work just fine if you don't pull to large or heavy an object with it. Also like said above, Do Not use the "Put 8 ft of slack in it and let 'er rip" method. "A man's got to know his limitations."
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

I use them to tow non-running cars into the shop or around the lot at work all the time. They're fine in situations where there's not much stress on them, but you don't want to use them offroad in vehicles stuck in mud or any situation where there's much outside force keeping the other vehicle from moving.

A lot of people around here go overboard on safety and seem to think they'll murder your family in the night if you use them. Just remember they're TOW straps, not recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Teej
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, that's what I assumed. I'll keep it around for when my stepbrother gets his Accord stuck in our driveway when it snows. There's no way I could loop it around and use it for recovery or anything? I'm going to get a proper one soon anyway.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
I use them to tow non-running cars into the shop or around the lot at work all the time. They're fine in situations where there's not much stress on them, but you don't want to use them offroad in vehicles stuck in mud or any situation where there's much outside force keeping the other vehicle from moving.

A lot of people around here go overboard on safety and seem to think they'll murder your family in the night if you use them. Just remember they're TOW straps, not recovery.
Very well put.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cut the hooks off with a grinder (carefully) then use D rings and you're closer to something safe.

Not yanks, but a steady pull would be fine.

Whatever the stated capacity is, the strap is probably x2 safety factor.

Tags
14200 , bad , hook , strap , tow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.