i friggin give up! someone else can mount my tires for me - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > i friggin give up! someone else can mount my tires for me

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

i friggin give up! someone else can mount my tires for me

I struggled and struggled trying to mount one of my 35" MTZ's yesterday. Anyone that does them at home have any tips for me other than taking them to a tire shop? I'm stubborn and was set on doing this myself. I have a HF tire changer that works well to dismount tires, but I just can't seem to get the last 10" or so over the lip of the wheel. HELP!

forumrunner_20130504_125825.jpg

I just don't get it. I watched youtube video after youtube video of guys just pushing the tire down over that first side. One guy just jumped on it landing on his hands and knees 2-3 times and it popped right on. No matter how much I lube it up or push, pry, beg it to slip over I just can't get it.

Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lube it up really good , pull the side that is already slid over the rim up so it sits a few inches below the lip of the rim then jump on it. That should pop the bead on , or if to have another vehicle have someone stand on the seated side while you slowly drive onto the other tire slowly

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

your putting it on on the wrong side take it off and put it on the outside of the rim, and take a hammer and beat it on. And use lots of lube.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137
your putting it on on the wrong side take it off and put it on the outside of the rim, and take a hammer and beat it on. And use lots of lube.
Why didn't I notice that ! But the last time I mounted tires were in my DD which have reverse mount wheels

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

you can use real big pry bars to put it on.
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Does it really matter which side I mount it from? I was mounting from the backside (tip I saw on youtube) in an attempt to not jack up the paint on the wheel too badly. That failed anyway, so I'll just slap it on from the front and hope it goes better.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. JF to the rescue once again. No time to mess with it today though. Kid had a double header with away soccer games today, quick attempt at mowing the back yard and only got 3/4 done in 45 min, now choked down some food real quick, and off to see Iron man 3 with the wife and kids. Then tomorrow I work 6-2 and have a soccer game at 3:30. I NEVER have time to work on the Jeep.

Unread 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Seems a lot easier to spend $80 on getting them mounted and balanced at a shop lol
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Seems a lot easier to spend $80 on getting them mounted and balanced at a shop lol
Since when is doing everything the easy way fun? I wanted to try and balance them with airsoft pellets and already bought them. Not that they were expensive. . . Just sayin. I know once I figure it out and get the hang of it it'll get easier and easier. Then I'll never have to pay that $80 mount/balance charge again. I already had the HF tire changer anyone and I've read about other Jeep guys on pirate using it to mount theirs with great results. I'll try to mount from the other side as soon as I can and report back. . .

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I always put the tires on from the front, but when you flip it around and go to put it on make sure you get the bead down into the middle of the rim in the deeper part. Also once you have it on if you have the valve stem core out leave it out, and take the air hose with out the air chuck on it. Just push that onto the valve stem, this will give you a bigger burst of air to help seat the bead, also keep your fingers away from the bead area. If you were closer id come and help ya.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just spit on it....

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Grease and a pry bar here, never damaged a bead.

go slow

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

so did you get it mounted
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

??
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Not yet. I've have been working way too many hours and when I'm off I have too much slack to pick up at home. I normally do a lot around the house, but with the wife starting a new job as an Autism Director for FBR she is completely swamped and will be for the first few months. Plus a buddy at work gave me 4 wheels and asked me to dismount the tires. As usual, I put doing **** for other people ahead of doing what I want to do for myself.

When I was attempting to mount the 35" last week I really got the bastard jammed on there. I was afraid I wasn't even going to be able to get it back off, but with the creative use of my hi-lift and a ratchet strap I pried the ***** back off. I'm a little worried that I jacked up the bead, but I guess we'll see. After I got it off I was able to EASILY pop the first bead over the front lip of the wheel. Then I briefly tried to get the 2nd bead over and was having some issues, so I stopped. It was already midnight by that point and I get up at 4am for work. I'm hoping to get back to it tomorrow and/or Friday. The wife will be out of town and I'm off work.

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

just went out and popped two 35's on the wheels with no issues at all. Airsoft pellets installed, beads seated, and aired up. Too easy. Once I realized that the first side you pop down over the bead has to get pushed down towards the center of the wheels, so that it pulls in closer to the wheel the damn last little portion of the bead popped down with VERY minimal force. Kicking myself in the *** for how much I struggled with it before. Oh well, now I know and won't have any issues in the future.

One small issue though. In my eagerness to try and get them mounted I popped the first one on with the white letters facing out without realizing it. By the time I DID realize it I had already put the airsoft pellets in and had it all aired up. I REALLY didn't feel like unmounting it to flip it around...SO.... they are staying that way. oh well......

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.