I finally got to try some rocks!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I finally got to try some rocks!!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

I finally got to try some rocks!!!

and it was awesome!!! I pretty much slid my way over everything....only got stuck once....both axles where hung up and i had to winch off....I deff need to invest in some skids....I slammed my t case HARD a couple times and i was about ready to rip off the back bumper...seems like every drop off you go down the back end catchs on and jars your teeth....Im going to try to make a more low profile one and cut my rear rockers pieces off (they are rustys anyways). overall it was fun...I have alot of leaking fluids to fix now along with a broken tail light (those trees jump right out in front of you)....next time i will be more prepared...

ok...I didnt take one pic the whole trip but i was the only one brave/stupid enough to try the hard stuff so it turns out other people took pics for me
(photo credit to HAVENSOV)

thats from my tire i guess

Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Unread 10-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome man.

Gotta love crawlin.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

now get rid of those gay *** boggers

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

accually they did GREAT on rocks.....But they are about wore out....Next tire will probally be some 36-37 irocs as wide as i can get them....
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
now get rid of those gay *** boggers
What's wrong with boggers?
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Oh i should also say, this trail run made me think maybe i dont need a v8....I have been planning a v8 swap for this winter but i had no power problems all day....Most of the time we are wide open though mud holes overheating everything and my jeep just seems gutless....Rocks seem to be much easyier on your rig (if it is armored right) I didnt overheat all day....never heated up the trans to where it was slipping and stuff. im begining to think 4.7 stroker with a rebuilt trans. (ive about killed mine)

to be honest....I would go crawl rocks anyday over mud now....Most of then time when we get back from a trail ride i know i have at least 3 days of straigh washing on my jeep to get it close to clean...then there is still mud everywhere....Only mud i hit yesterday were puddles, they just sprayed up the sides because the tires stick out so much....One hit with the power washer and it will be shinny clean agian.

side note: what is the advantage to a lower t case gear in the rocks? Like the rubi cases....all teh hardcore rock guys all want 4 to 1s or atlas and stuff and i dont see how that would help? I mean of course you go slow on rocks but why do you need something lower then a 231 (isnt it like 2.6 to 1 or something?)
Unread 10-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
Offroad....I have yet to find something they didnt do great on...
sand: at 15 inches wide i let them down to 4psi and drove everywhere i wanted
mud: there is NO better tire, end of story
rock: i never had a point where i though "if i had a diff tire i could have made that" but then agian i never had anything with just MTs on the rocks...

Now road is a diff story...

They dont balance....you can try all you want...they dont...Mine have 2 cups off airsoft pelets in each one and it helps but not much
They wear FAST on the road....
they are loud...Like "wheres my ear plugs loud"

part of the reason mine dont go down the road well is because they are 15 inches wide...I get alot of wandering when driving...but i only drive it on the weekends and once and a while to work so i dont worry about it...
Unread 10-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticcat843 View Post
to be honest....I would go crawl rocks anyday over mud now....

side note: what is the advantage to a lower t case gear in the rocks? Like the rubi cases....all teh hardcore rock guys all want 4 to 1s or atlas and stuff and i dont see how that would help? I mean of course you go slow on rocks but why do you need something lower then a 231 (isnt it like 2.6 to 1 or something?)
we all told you rocks are more fun. haha

and the lower gear ratio in the t-case will increase the torque more in 4-lo. just helps with extreme situations more, like steep hills and really low traction. isnt completely necessary but is nice. stock is 2.72:1

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome pics man. I'm going to do some good rocks for the first time in 3 weeks. Can't wait, getting some rails and a t-case skid to make sure I don't destroy anything.
Unread 10-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
mudbath81
Creek Crawler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms87 View Post
they are way over rated! and too expensive!
2 INCH COIL SPACERS
2 INCH BLOCKS
33X13.50 SUPER SWAMPER LTB
15X10 BLACK STEELS
FRONT FENDERS TRIMMED 7 INCHES
REAR FENDERS ROLLED 2 INCHES
..,=====,o00o
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___
mudbath81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

So did you try any tough stuff? J/K!

From what I've seen in our club, Boggers work pretty well on most surfaces--they can slide sideways, though, if you're on a slick trail/rocks.

I think a 4:1 is more of a big deal if your drivng a standard. It WOULD allow you to crawl over big rocks w/o having to ride the brakes when coming down off them (at least I have to with my modest lift).

I highly recommend TnT Custom Bellypan. I have that, along with HD diff covers, JKS LCA mini skids, a gas tank skid and rock rails and there really isn't much to worry about in the rocks. Hacking off the lower rear quarter panels also gives you one less area to worry about.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

To be honest, i have no clue if what i was driving over was hard....I know no one else in our club would try it but thats not saying much....it was my first time, i didnt really see anyone else playing on the big rocks i was so i figured it was a little more difficult but i pretty much just slid over eveything...Only got hung up once...Had to winch off....

as far as the 4-1 cases....i have a auto so maybe that is why i didnt see the big need for it...That makes a little more sence now...I bet This kinda stuff would suck with a manual tranny....

I cant really do i full belly skid because of my longarms....I mean i could but i would have to modify it and at that point it wouldnt be worth it...I could just make one myself...

I didnt really hit the egine/tranny much...with the longarms and front DS there it pretty much kept the front end out of the rocks....Main thing i need it cover is the tcase....I smashed that BAD a couple times....I think im going to try to make one....a guy in our club has a (bruce B)or something like that) one and i was looking at that....It doesnt look to hard to make....Ill probally see if he will snap some pics off it...
I also need diff covers BAD....I smashed the bottoms of them both and the cover kinda rolled up and now they both are leaking...ill probally order a couple from great lake offroad there stuff seems to be pretty good.....Then ill see about making some mini skids for the control arms....One good thing is that NOTHING hangs below the axles, all the shock mounts and everything have been moved up....there isnt even any u bolts! lol

Oh and im deff lossing the hitch and cutting offf the rear quarters.....I think im going to put a small fuel cell in the hatch area....that should free up some room im already sick of draging the back end over everything
Unread 10-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking covers--ala Ruff Stuff--ugly but strong--I'd get the extra steel for the front.

Didn't realize you had long arms--TnT uses the belly pan to as a mount for their long arm setup, but I'm sure you're is different. No reason you can't make your own extended xfer case skid.

I don't know that I've really hit my gas tank skid much, nor my rear hitch--I do hit my receiver-mounted shackle quite often.

What are you running for steering? That is pretty sucseptible to damage in the rocks as well.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #15
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

I wanted tnt longarms but 1) i couldnt get them quick enough (i ordered them on a MON and needed them by thursday lol I got clayton arms for fullsizexjgear) 2) they wher alot more money then....with there new sale price, i feel stupid not to have goten them

anyways, im running JCR 1 ton steering UTK it was another time issue....I needed more parts to run over the knuckle and i had a trip planed that i needed to make....I plan on switching it to OTK this winter....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.