I drive LOTS of Miles. But Want to put 31s on. What to buy to maximize comfort? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I drive LOTS of Miles. But Want to put 31s on. What to buy to maximize comfort?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
cavalier

I drive LOTS of Miles. But Want to put 31s on. What to buy to maximize comfort?

So here's the deal. I daily drive my 92xj 4.0 AW4 (3.55 Chrysler 8.25) 75 miles a day. That's a lot of driving. It's ALL highway. Around 80mph (Detroit police don't care). My Jeep now is stock with 215s. And the ride is comfortable, safe, and reliable.

Now, I want to give her a little bit of a lift and some tires. So I bought the kit in the attachment (cost me $290). And I plan to grab some 31s.

My question is this: since I drive so much on the highway, how do I maximize comfort and minimize wear and tear on my suspension. I want this lift to have as little effect on durability/smoothness as possible. I'm fine with a firm ride, but not vibrations/shakes.

What do you recommend? What is not included in this kit that I'll need to make this happen? Thank you all for your time.

lift.jpg  
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It says Rough Country. Prepare your butt for the oncoming pain and anything included in that kit should be thrown out. If you really want to use those parts adding a full set of adjustable control arms will help with getting the axles positioned perfectly for a better ride.

Rubicon Express' front drop brackets will put the control arms into a good angle for ride smoothness, but the brackets are designed for 5.5" lifts. A 3" lift is the in between area where getting the control arms at good angles with aftermarket parts is more difficult.
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

High quality springs/shocks and a shackle relocation kit. You don't need control arm drop brackets.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
cavalier

Hmm. Sounds to me like I didn't think this one through properly.
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
Hmm. Sounds to me like I didn't think this one through properly.
Yep. I wouldn't install any single item in that kit if a smooth ride is what you're going for.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
dillholes
1997 XJ Cherokee 

do not listen to the naysayers! i have the exact same set up on my '97 and endure the same bombed out, metro detroit roads as you. i added 2" coil spring spacers up front and dakota bastard pack leafs out back and when everything settled i am at a total of 4.5 inches of lift on true 31" (30.5 inch actual) tires. i would rate my ride quality as firm more so than soft but not painful or uncomfortable. coming from a guy with 2 bad discs in his back you can take it as a fair rating. i can drive 3 or 4 hours on the freeway before i need to stop and stretch. i also pull my 2600# camper once in a while and it works just fine. a few tips...if those shocks are the hydro this or that you need to ditch them, way harsh. i have the rc n2.0 shocks and they are night and day different. much plusher ride quality and still kick azz offroad. bilsteins would be the bomb if you have the cash-got those on my ram and the ride is just silly. i added a durango steering box with a jcr steering box brace. a must have with the bigger tires and mich roads in my opinion. i also added an iro double shear track bar and their hd tie rod as well. tightens up the front end like new.(i also replaced all ball joints,tie rods, wheel bearings, etc with moog parts). i would also look into some adjustable upper control arms just to simplify the caster angle adjustment. (i welded up the holes in my stockers and measured what i needed, and drilled new holes).i did need to add a sye to mine because of the lift but if you stay at the 3" lift you can probably get away with a transfer case drop if you run into vibes. i can set the cruise at 70 on the freeway, turn on the a/c and it goes straight and true and smooth and works just fine. i have ridden in set ups with way more money into them and mine rides, handles, and drives way better. and i get a true 15 to 16 mpg doing it...
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Im with this guy. Some of us have better things to throw money at (like house payments and ect).
Your lift is fine and should do the ticket. Ive ran the same lift with no problems and passed friends broken down with 35's on the trail .
Seems like alot of people suffer from "little-man syndrome" if ya catch my drift.
Unread 07-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

if you are looking for a smoother riding tire, try to find some 16's or 17's with the equivalency of a 31 (i think its 265). you can get them in something a little tamer and smoother since a lot of newer trucks come with them.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I probably wouldn't go any wider than 9.5" tires for a long distance daily driver.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oops
99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I been running 30x9.5 for 6+ years, been happy with them. Not all that much less height but much less of a contact patch it keeps your rpm range/rolling resistance more optimum for fuel efficiency. Also easier on the rest of your components as well.
99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Check out Kumho KL78 tires. Excellent in the rain and ride smoothly. Cheap, too!!

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I drive 72 miles every day. All highway. I also drive 520 miles across the state every other weekend. I have a '96 with a 2" AAL budget lift and Cooper Discoverer 31x10.5. The ride is absolutely perfect and I love it. I can go 90mph over a bump without a single vibration and it drives like butter. The tires are fantastic and have a 55,000 mile warranty. I also get 18mpg at ~80mph.
Beards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

3" lift and Cooper Discoverer A/T3's in 265/75R15 on -19mm offset wheel. Rides as good as it did on stock tires. I've got full leaf packs not AAL's though.
SSellers is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.