I wonder how my rig would do up there? I prefer rocks but it would be fun to get stuck!
You would have fun that I know for sure. You could make the 2000' climb up the Red trail that I posted in the picture earlier.
The mud is sometimes very difficult without a winch. I perform winch maintenance almost every week. Mostly just inspecting the battery cables, contacts and respool the cable but a couple times during summer I pull the planetaries apart and service them. I really need to invest in a bigger, completely waterproof winch but I blew my budget on 1 tons, hydro steer and 44" tires.
I made it home from work late yesterday and finally got a chance to start on my upgrade today. The cross member was an important hurdle and I just about got it completely knocked out today. I have to thank my Son in Law Kody for his patients and hard work. We must have fit this thing into place a dozen times before we finally got things how I wanted them and welded it out.
2 x 4 x .250 wall rectangle tubing and 3/8" thick flanges. The drop out is just wide enough to drop the transfer case or tranny out without messing with the suspension. The mount bolts to the chassis using 5/8" through bolts. The mount is 1/2" lower than stock so the tailshaft is dropped to help improve the angle.
Had to use some grade 8 fine thread bolts for mock up because we ran out of grade 8 course.
All set up with the long arm mounts welded in place.
A different view of the Cross Member.
Still have a few gussets to weld on and it will be ready for paint.
Gonna finish it tomorrow and bolt it into place. Next up is the rear axle.
Really nice man, looks a lot like the clayton one .. I like
It's similar to the Clayton for sure. I copied their basic idea and made some changes that fit my build. It has a 3/4" drop for the transmission and the long arm brackets are tucked in a little more toward the center of the vehicle.
I finished up the cross member and bolted it in place on Monday.
Yesterday I started working on the rear axle. Got the lift blocks in place on the axle and finalized my pinion angle. The axle is set back 4" more than stock. This is as far as I can go without worrying about the fuel tank. My rear drive shaft is going to be 40" long.
I still need to do the cut and fold of the rear quarter and then the rear will be pretty close except paint and undercoating. Tube fenders will be next.
I have about 7" of up travel before the 45" tires rub on anything. I am planning to build bump stops that limit my up to 6".
Lift blocks are about 4" over stock. This shape acts to prevent axle wrap to some degree. Three alignment holes to move the axle forward or rearward 1" from center.
A little left to finish up here and then on to the front axle.
I've been super busy with work, family stuff and honey doo's so I haven't been able to spend as much time on my build as I would like. I already missed one weekend of wheeling and I hope not to miss any more.
I will tease you with a few of how it sits today. As I get time and finish it up over then next week I will post the entire build. These are 18.4-16.1 AG tires. They measure out to 45" tall and 19" wide. It's no easy task fitting this much tire under an XJ.
All my links, brackets, axles and drivelines are complete. I need to install the PSC Hydraulic Steering, hook up the brake lines, trim the front bumper and finish the rear quarter trimming and inner fender well extension.
I finished the rear quarter panel trimming since I took these pictures.
Inner wheel wheel wells moved back a little over 6".