I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #91
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

If anyone is wondering......... This is what an XJ looks like on 44" tires.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #92
DunmerBoy
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot
It looks like a damn toy!! Are they touching the rear fenders?
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #93
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Please tell me you arent going to run them on a dana 44....
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #94
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
It looks like a damn toy!! Are they touching the rear fenders?
Fenders are not touching anywhere. The front turns lock to lock without rubbing anywhere.

In the rear the tires are about 2" from the body at the closest spot, right by the rear doors. This is the reason i swapped out the rear leaf springs and moved the axle back almost 4".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Please tell me you arent going to run them on a dana 44....
You sound skeptical that the D44 might not handle the bigger tires??? Come on Luke give the 44 a little credit. There is 17" of ground clearance between the bottom of the 3rd member and the ground with those TSL's.

Not bad huh???
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #95
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

2 things:

1. Welcome back, hadnt seen you posting in a while.

2. Holy **** thats huge.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #96
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great tom, I'll have to catch up with you guys this summer!
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #97
DunmerBoy
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
2 things: 1. Welcome back, hadnt seen you posting in a while. 2. Holy **** thats huge.
Makes the 35s seem small now huh?

And oh okay the picture is deceiving. What kinda gears are you runnin with them?
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #98
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

You sound skeptical that the D44 might not handle the bigger tires??? Come on Luke give the 44 a little credit. There is 17" of ground clearance between the bottom of the 3rd member and the ground with those TSL's.

Not bad huh???
Not bad but I wouldn't trust my "little" 44 front loaded with a Detroit and chromo shafts with that much tire. I also wounds run them on a semi float rear end but that is me... I also prefer rocks to mud. But it does look awesome!
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #99
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not bad but I wouldn't trust my "little" 44 front loaded with a Detroit and chromo shafts with that much tire. I also wounds run them on a semi float rear end but that is me... I also prefer rocks to mud. But it does look awesome!
I agree with all of that Luke. I think you missed my post from earlier yesterday where I mentioned I sold all my 3/4 ton stuff including all the suspension and tires and everything below the "frame rails". I picked up some nice 1 ton axles and bought some new AG tires. I am building a whole new XJ from the unibody down.

About Mid March I was getting the itch to upgrade so I bolted on the 44" TSL's in the picture above to see if it was even possible. The tires fit much better than I expected so I started looking for parts. Once I found the front HP60 I made the decision to sell everything I had and start rounding up parts for my new build. I put all my existing parts on Craigslist and sold them first day. I installed them for the new owner and began my built last weekend.

My jeep is currently sitting on pipe stands with a jack holding up the transfer case. I don't even have a cross member. I will start back into it hard and heavy this coming Friday and plan to be finished by May 1st.

44" tires on an XJ isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Should come out pretty decent though.
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #100
DunmerBoy
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I agree with all of that Luke. I think you missed my post from earlier yesterday where I mentioned I sold all my 3/4 ton stuff including all the suspension and tires and everything below the "frame rails". I picked up some nice 1 ton axles and bought some new AG tires. I am building a whole new XJ from the unibody down. About Mid March I was getting the itch to upgrade so I bolted on the 44" TSL's in the picture above to see if it was even possible. The tires fit much better than I expected so I started looking for parts. Once I found the front HP60 I made the decision to sell everything I had and start rounding up parts for my new build. I put all my existing parts on Craigslist and sold them first day. I installed them for the new owner and began my built last weekend. My jeep is currently sitting on pipe stands with a jack holding up the transfer case. I don't even have a cross member. I will start back into it hard and heavy this coming Friday and plan to be finished by May 1st. 44" tires on an XJ isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Should come out pretty decent though.
How much lift totally are you going to have?
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #101
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
How much lift totally are you going to have?

Well I had about 8" of total lift with the 38.5" tires and they almost never rubbed under any circumstances. If I bombed down a trail and hit some nasty woops all out of control I could get the front tires to rub every once in a while.

From all the fitting and measuring I have done in the last two weeks it looks like I'll be able to make the 44" tires fit with about 10" of lift and a little extra fender trimming and a cut and fold on the rear quarters. This also includes moving the rear axle back 4" more than stock and the front axle forward 2" more than stock. My total suspension travel will be about 14" in front and 12" in the rear.

I could surely cut way more, both front and rear, and not have to lift near as much but we are primarily running in mud so lift is a good thing when you are trying to get through a +3' deep mud hole.

This XJ is on 44" Boggers. I plan to have about 2" less lift than this.

Unread 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #102
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
2 things:

1. Welcome back, hadnt seen you posting in a while.

2. Holy **** thats huge.
Hey Brandon, how was your winter? Your rig is still looking good.

I have been MIA since about October because wheelin is about over by then. I put the Jeep away and break out the snowmobiles. I rode and raced sleds all winter. Now that the race season is over and sledding season is coming to a close we are all diving back into our Jeeps.

It's a vicious cycle.
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #103
DunmerBoy
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well I had about 8" of total lift with the 38.5" tires and they almost never rubbed under any circumstances. If I bombed down a trail and hit some nasty woops all out of control I could get the front tires to rub every once in a while.

From all the fitting and measuring I have done in the last two weeks it looks like I'll be able to make the 44" tires fit with about 10" of lift and a little extra fender trimming and a cut and fold on the rear quarters. This also includes moving the rear axle back 4" more than stock and the front axle forward 2" more than stock. My total suspension travel will be about 14" in front and 12" in the rear.

I could surely cut way more, both front and rear, and not have to lift near as much but we are primarily running in mud so lift is a good thing when you are trying to get through a +3' deep mud hole.

This XJ is on 44" Boggers. I plan to have about 2" less lift than this.

Oh thats awesome! This is one of my favorite builds now so I am incredibly excited to see an XJ, stretched 6 inches on 44's and Dana60s! this is going to be awesome
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #104
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Please tell me your doing stiffeners! I love the build though I can't way to see more progress!
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #105
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Please tell me your doing stiffeners! I love the build though I can't way to see more progress!
Around here we play in mud. Mud is very wet and full of peat. When you weld stiffeners to an XJ you burn all the corrosion protection from each layer of the unibody frame. That same frame fills up with wet mud every weekend. Moisture and unprotected metal are a recipe for cancer.

There are pluses and minuses with welding to the unibody. My jeep has no rust anywhere and only slight surface corrosion where I trimmed the rear fenders 2 years ago. I build my own cross members that support the T-Case and span 24" down each side. They are held on by the 4 factory bolts as well as six 5/8" grade 8 bolts through the frame.

I beat on my Jeep every weekend all summer long. So far nothing has moved. As far as I'm concerned the thing is disposable. If I screw the unibody up so bad that the doors don't close or the windows pop out I will just find another one to build or upgrade to a JK.

Call me crazy but so far this techniques have been working real well for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.