I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Love the XJ! God would I love to come wheeling with you guys up in AK

CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #32
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnyder24 View Post
Love this jeep man, this would be pretty close to exactly what I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZDiesel View Post
Love the XJ! God would I love to come wheeling with you guys up in AK
Come on up, summer or winter. We wheel all summer and sled all winter. You don't even need a rig, there are plenty of spares to go around.

May 1, 2013

A little while later and 6000' lower we are wheelin within a couple weeks.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You guys dont mess around up there! Nice XJ and scenery, I dont think Ive ever seen a picture of Alaskan scenery that wasnt just incredible.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #34
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
You guys dont mess around up there! Nice XJ and scenery, I dont think Ive ever seen a picture of Alaskan scenery that wasnt just incredible.

There is about 2 weeks in May and 2 weeks in October where it's not the greatest but almost all the rest of the year is pretty incredible. Both pictures above are May 2013. One is about May 1st and the other is about May 15.

PS. I could bore you all day long with incredible shots of sledding in the mountains. We spend all winter riding sleds. Those places above are only a few miles from my house.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

What's next for your build?

I didn't realize your cherokee was you built. You have the axle set I want.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #36
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
What's next for your build?

I didn't realize your cherokee was you built. You have the axle set I want.
JB Conversion SYE going in this next week. I just purchased a spare 231 transfer case so I will be installing the SYE in the spare and tossing it in after the weekend.

Install the Rubicon Express Track Bar Bracket on the frame side this week. I'm not comfortable with my existing track bar configurations so I will cut it off paint the frame and install the bolt on RE bracket. The new bracket came in the mail yesterday. Amazon for $52, not bad.

I am going to fab up a frame support cross member to span under the motor. This will cradle the motor and motor mounts in the frame. There are already bosses and welded nuts on both frame rails so it's just a matter of whipping something out and bolting it in place.

Replace the rear tail lights. I don't like the dark smoked tail lights I have and one has a cracked lens from sliding backwards into a tree so I bought a set of stock tail lights and will replace them this week.

After that, if I'm lucky enough to hook up with a fellow forum member I'm going to buy and install a 32" 180 Watt CREE LED Combo light bar. I already have the bracket ready to go on my roof rack and I just ordered this switch for the console. Should be pretty much plug and play.........

Unread 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #37
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

What's your schedule? I'm off from the 7/29-8/10 then the 9/2-9/13. Well get up sometime in there.
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #38
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A few updates.

Installed the light bar I got from MOBBiN Sam. Wow is about all I can say. Works better than I expected. Bright for sure. As with all light bars, pictures don't do them justice. The brightness is unbelievable.

[CENTER][URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AKIQPilot"]My Youtube Channel[/URL][/CENTER]
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #39
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I built a meat/camp trailer to haul behind the XJ. I originally built this one back in about '95 for ATV wheeling but decided to convert it for the Jeep. 4'X12' sheet of .100" Aluminum. Bent and welded to form the tub. Added the suspension and 31X15.50 tires. A friend gave me the wheels off a mid '90's XJ limited. I slapped on some used Wranglers from the local tire shop. I put on 1000lb springs with all new hardware and 5X4.5 hubs. There is a 18 X 24" platform out back for extra fuel or an action packer and a propane tank upfront for the stove, lantern and grill. I built legs so the trailer is free standing and built a mast for holding the tarp up in the middle when it's raining.

For long outings it's a must to have a trailer to haul all your camping gear and food behind the Jeep. I'm gonna start using it more for even 3 day camp outs.

Sorry for the ugly shots of that TJ. It is my brothers and has a hitch. After this week I will have a hitch on mu XJ.

[CENTER][URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AKIQPilot"]My Youtube Channel[/URL][/CENTER]
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #40
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Went on a great hunt with my son in law and his father Mark. We let the TJ haul in the big stuff inside the trailer but I carried most of the weight. We had a great trip and the converted trailer worked great. Wish we could have gotten another animal bit we were still happy with the outcome. We camped about 15 miles from the trucks and hunted about 10 miles further out. Set up like this an XJ ot TJ has about a 60 mile range. Notice we brought ab extra 15 gallons for each rig.

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #41
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

That last picture is awesome
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
That last picture is awesome
Yea, Bullwinkle got the last laugh when he drank all the Crown.

Unread 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #43
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I finally got around to trimming my front fenders today. It was super easy, much easier than I thought it would be. I used a 3/32" cutting disc on my 4.5" grinder. At the top pf the fender I cut right through the body crease. At the rear I used the slight rub mark left from the stock fender flares. At the front I took as much as possible without exposing the wiper fluid bottle and pump motors, about 1/2" in front of the rub mark from the original fender flares. I tried to match the stock curves when transitioning from the horizontal line to the lines angling toward the ground.

I took some semi flat black paint and darkened out the fender tubs.

I then sealed it all up with some split molding I picked up at the local rubber supply store. This molding has steel grippy teeth inside of it to hold the molding securely in place. This stuff was cheap, about a dollar per foot. Took about 12' total.

My fenders are in pretty rough shape. I seem to bash into lots of things on the trail. Good thing this isn't a show vehicle. LOL

Unread 08-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #44
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I finally got around to installing my Cowl Snorkel. I bought the 3 Spectre parts from my local O'Rileys about a month ago. I've been going so much I hadn't had a chance to install them. Today I decided it was time.

There are lots of different options for snorkels out there, this is just the one that fit my needs the best. As you know the windshield cowl is a fairly large void at the base of the windshield. The vehicle gets it's cabin air from this void and many of the wiper components are inside there. The void has large water drains on both sides near the rear of the fenders so any water that gets into the area runs right out the drains and onto the ground.

The three Spectre components. Costs about $28 for all.

I drilled a 2.75" hole in the upper firewall. My hole is about 3/4" above the deck in the cowl void. The further up off the deck the less likely water can get into the airbox. If you go too high the hood pushes down on the 3" tube and flange. IMO this was the best location.

Here is the 2.75" hole in the back of the airbox. This location was pretty simple to figure out. You have to keep the hole low enough not to interfere with the air filter and high enough to fit in the triangle shaped part of the box.

Next I mounted the airbox adapter using a special epoxy called G/flex. It bonds all the different polyethylene plastics together. UHMW, HDPE, MDPE, Teflon, Acrylic, etc. This stuff stays very flexible even when cured. I scuffed the bond area on both the airbox and the adapter with 80 grit sand paper then I wiped them with 100% Isopropal Alcohol then warmed the area and dried the alcohol with a heat gun. I mixed up the G/flex and glued the two pieces together. I set them in place and blew hot air toward the airbox to speed up the drying process.

While I waited for the epoxy on the airbox to dry I installed the flange on the cowl. I used black RTV and rivets to install and seal the flange. Cleko's to hold it all in place before riveting.

I whacked the stock air inlet flange from the airbox and glued a piece of HDPE over the hole.

Once all the epoxy was dry I installed the airbox, attached the 3" hose, put in a fresh filter and snapped the lid back on.

Now my air inlet is about 12" higher than stock and no longer susceptible to water splashing up from the tires or small waves that get behind the headlight. This method has proven to be able to go through water above the headlight level with no water in the airbox. I did leave the water drain holes in the airbox unplugged just in case I do get some water in there it will drain out.

Unread 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #45
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Last night I installed the Rubicon Express frame side track bar mount. When I first installed all my steering and trackbar upgrades this spring I welded the frame side mount directly to the unibody frame. After just a little bit of research I figured out this was a very bad idea. I ordered a new bolt on mount from RE for $52 and bolted it in place last night. I used a plazma cutter to remove the old bracket and a grinder to grind down the old welds. The RE bracket was shaped different so I had to shorten the track bar by a couple of inches. All put together with Red Locktite.

This set up is much better than what I had before.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.