I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #181
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

A few more.

And some winching.

Even Old Blue had to do some winching.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #182
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

50" AG's........GONE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWr-...zMP9Pw&index=2
Unread 06-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #183
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I need to get me some of those baby ag's! Can I get some details tom?!?

The trip looks like a blast. Whered you guys go?
Unread 06-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #184
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
I need to get me some of those baby ag's! Can I get some details tom?!?

The trip looks like a blast. Whered you guys go?
They have then at Diversified Tire. They are fairly reasonable as far as AG's go. Most everyone who runs then does so with stock axles. I haven't seen an axle fail yet with those tires. They are about 37" tall and 13" wide.

They are impressive if you're locked front and rear.

We went to Zero Lake. The trail is good but the holes are deep. We found hoes that completely swallow 50" tires and they never saw bottom. Nice part is you don't have to go through the middle of the hole, there is a way around most of them.
Unread 06-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #185
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet thanks the info! Your jeep turned out sooper nice. Great job
Unread 06-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #186
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good!! So pretty much a winch is mandatory in AK?? Haha
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #187
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

HOLY **** that JK.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #188
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Loving the jeep brother :-). You know I use to wheel an old Toyota turcell, one wheel drive, and it ran on three cillinders and that went through mud better than any jeep. It was a joke :-), it would have made an awesome Toyota commercial :-) .. But in that mud, light is power.
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #189
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Looking good!! So pretty much a winch is mandatory in AK?? Haha
A winch isn't mandatory but it sure makes life easier on everyone else in the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Loving the jeep brother :-). You know I use to wheel an old Toyota turcell, one wheel drive, and it ran on three cillinders and that went through mud better than any jeep. It was a joke :-), it would have made an awesome Toyota commercial :-) .. But in that mud, light is power.

Light is power in every form of wheeling.
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #190
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
A winch isn't mandatory but it sure makes life easier on everyone else in the group.

Light is power in every form of wheeling.
So true, man the jeep gets so heavy
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #191
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot
What size winch do most of those monsters have?
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #192
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well, we had a super fun weekend of wheeling and camping. The gang planned to leave right after work Friday and head up into the mountains. We went to a local spot about 10 miles from home. The trail is only about 3.5 miles in to the camping spot but it usually takes several hours to get there depending on how bad the big mud crossings are. This weekend they were pretty bad.

Before heading out on this trip I installed my Spartan Locker. I wheeled a Spartan for a whole season last year in a HP44 and 38" tires and the thing worked flawlessly. I expected the same out of this Spartan made for the 60. As you can imagine the D60 locker is much bigger than a D44 locker. If any of you are considering a locker for the front of your rig you should seriously consider a Spartan. They are tough and they work, every single time. And they are very reasonably priced.

Stock open diff. Pretty spotless inside though.

Installed. This thing is so simple to install. I topped it off with about 4Qts of synthetic gear oil.

I also finished up my rear cargo rack. A few of these things stay with the jeep on every trip but some are optional depending on how long we are going to be out.

Bottom row, from left to right.. First Aid Kit with a few extras like epi pen, sutures, tourniquet, etc. Fire extinguisher. The big red box is an emergency recovery box. Among other things it has a pack of flares, a couple of space blankets, a 10'x12' tarp, jumper cables, hack saw with extra blades, 2" ratchet straps, rain ponchos, some emergency MRI food rations, etc. On top of the red box is a small Gerber Axe/Saw combo tool. The blue cooler for refreshments. A empty milk crate so my wife can get in and out easier. Five gallons of water in a white water jug. Another crate with additional 2" ratchet straps and some recovery gear like snatch blocks and shackles. 225 piece tool box with every tool I need to repair my jeep or my tow rig. It's packed to the gills with tools. Another fire extinguisher. 100' of 1/2" poly climbing cord.

Top row, left to right. Stihl chain saw. two coolers for food and dry goods. ViAir 400 Air Compressor. Some hot dog forks that you can't see.

Besides the blue cooler, the crate full of straps and the 5 gallons of water, the rest of that stuff stays in the jeep at all times.

Unread 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #193
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

We had an incredible weekend of wheeling and fun. The mud holes were big and they took their toll on the equipment. No Jeeps broke down on this trip but all of us had to use our winches on a few occasions. The non-jeep rigs didn't fare nearly as well. I only got a few pictures but I did get lots of video that I will load on my Youtube channel and on IG.

The first little mud hole. That spot is over 3' deep of thick mud. Not a problem at all.

The nice dry part of the trail.

What the majority of the trail looks like. There are only 3 nasty bogs on this trail but they are nasty.

The only time I pulled my winch out. Even all loaded down this thing goes pretty good.

Everyone winched at least once.

Unread 06-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #194
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Another group of three rigs got a late start onto the trail Friday and they did not make it all the way in. They broke axles, tipped on their side, blew bubs, blew front diff's, etc and just had a miserable 15 hours on the trail. We heard of their troubles and my wife and I decided we would go back down Saturday and see if we could help them out. We found them about 1 mile from the camping spot basically stuck and taking up the whole trail.

One of the rigs was an '01 XJ on 37" boggers, locked front & rear.. It was not having any problems so that was a relief. This rig was driven by a lady who knew how to wheel and knew how to use her winch. Sh had no problem getting back out. She winched 5 or 6 times but that was expected

The second rig was a late 90's S15 blazer with a TBI 350 and 1 ton axles. He was spinning 39.5" IROC's. He had blown both hubs. I had a spare set of 30 spline hubs so I gave them to him and he was pretty much set. He winched a lot and helped me with the third rig when we had to winch him backwards.

The third rig was a late 90's 1 ton chevy with a Vortec 350 and 44" tires. It was a pretty decent looking rig with coil overs and a full cage. The tires were new but no match for this kind of mud. He had blown his front differential and ruptured a power steering hose so he had no power assist. He had come back down a hill backwards and wedged himself between 2 big trees down in a ravine. First thing I had to do was cut down a big tree and we used 2 winches with snatch blocks to get him back on the trail.

Once back on the trail I hooked a strap to the Chevy and began to drag him back towards the trail head. We had about 2.5 miles and 3 nasty mud holes to get through. This truck was completely full of camping gear so it weighed at least 6000lbs. I felt pretty good about my rig but was a little worried that the transmission might not appreciate all the extra work ahead of it. We took it real slow. With now power steering this beast was a hand full in the tight trail and every time we would hit a rut or root in the trail the wheels would turn to full lock and the rig would try to flip over. We avoided flipping several times.......

I only got a few pictures from the trail but here they are. I only had to winch forward one time. We had to winch him backwards about 10 times because the wheels would hit something and go full lock but we only winced forward once. I almost flipped him over like 3 times. The XJ did awesome.

Well everything was going great and we were making decent progress. About 3/4 of a mile from the trailers we came across a couple of tree roots and a little ledge about 18" tall. I crawled right up the ledge and tugged him till I saw his front tires reach the ledge. Then I gave it a little gas. The AG's took a bite and began to pull him pu the little ledge when all of the sudden the wheel ripped out of his hand and the tires went full lock and bam, he was upside down in 1/4 of a second. This wasn't a slow roll either, it was like a MMA body slam.

I unhooked and winched him back on 4 tires. We added some tranny fluid and were back on the trail within about 20 minutes. We made it back to the trailers with no further issues. It took me about 3 hours to drag that rig through 2.5 miles of muddy trail.

Fun times.
Unread 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #195
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Bottom row, from left to right.. First Aid Kit with a few extras like epi pen, sutures, tourniquet, etc. Fire extinguisher. The big red box is an emergency recovery box. Among other things it has a pack of flares, a couple of space blankets, a 10'x12' tarp, jumper cables, hack saw with extra blades, 2" ratchet straps, rain ponchos, some emergency MRI food rations, etc. On top of the red box is a small Gerber Axe/Saw combo tool. The blue cooler for refreshments. A empty milk crate so my wife can get in and out easier. Five gallons of water in a white water jug. Another crate with additional 2" ratchet straps and some recovery gear like snatch blocks and shackles. 225 piece tool box with every tool I need to repair my jeep or my tow rig. It's packed to the gills with tools. Another fire extinguisher. 100' of 1/2" poly climbing cord.

Top row, left to right. Stihl chain saw. two coolers for food and dry goods. ViAir 400 Air Compressor. Some hot dog forks that you can't see.

Besides the blue cooler, the crate full of straps and the 5 gallons of water, the rest of that stuff stays in the jeep at all times.

I am going to have to borrow that set up idea. that looks great
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.