I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 07-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I bought my first Jeep this week, and it's an XJ

Hi all. I'm new to the Jeep forums but I think I picked the best one to join. I have been around modded TJ's and XJ's for the last few years and this past week a deal on a lightly modded XJ came along that I just couldn't pass up.

Around here we use our jeeps almost exclusively off road, wheeling in the trails, swamps and woods of South Central Alaska. We wheel pretty much every week from end of April to the middle of October then the buggies get put away and the sleds come out.

Anyway, I bought this '01 XJ last week. It's set up with an 8" lift, Brand New 38.5X15 Boggers, Corporate 14 bolt with a spool in the rear. Hi-Pinion Dana 44 in front. Long Arm kit, OR-Fab bumper in rear, Warn 8000 winch in front, 4.10 gears, 4 new long travel rancho shocks.

The thing is in perfect condition It has a great running, coil on plug, fuel injected 4.0. The thing runs perfect and is well put together. I have already upgraded a few things like steering and suspension joints. I have a few more upgrades planned for it. High Steer kit, E-Locker for the front, Disc brake conversion for the rear, OR-Fab rocker guards with steps, POR 15 or smooth finish bed liner the entire inside of the cab front to back.

We have been having a blast with this thing for the last week.

I plan to be here quite a bit asking questions and getting opinions on the various improvements I want to make to this thing.

Question #1. Did I find the right place and is this where a guy with an XJ like mine would come for information and advice?

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

A few more pictures of my first few outings.

One of my good friends and long time Jeep enthusiast decided to take me up a pretty tricky trail up to a place called Baldy on the first day I owned the XJ. The trail up can get pretty greasy and very steep in the rocky sections. There are a few large mud holes but nothing over about 40" deep. The climb is about 1800' up to the top of the main hill.

Here we are at the top.

And back home after a fun day of challenging but fairly easy wheeling.

Unread 07-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

After 2 fun filled days of wheeling with friends my wife and I decided to take a little trip into the woods and do an overnight camp out. We are pretty accustomed to camping in the woods with either atv's and a tent or in the motorhome but this trip in the Jeep was really fun. There's nothing like staying warm and dry on your trip in to find a good spot to set up camp.

This little bog stopped us in our tracks. We were alone and the trees were a little far from the trail for any good winching. I tried for about an hour to get around this spot with no luck. I walked out into this peat bog until the mud was to the top of my waders and was only about 50' from the jeep. This is a nasty spot that only buggies with 46" or larger AG tires make it through and many times they don't make it. I pulled the winch out twice and decided I had had enough.

Unread 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome and congrats! Jeep looks good!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
Welcome and congrats! Jeep looks good!

Hey thanks, yours is very cool too.
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Be sure to check this out for some great deals on roof racks! http://www.discountramps.com/car-top...roof-racks.htm

Keep the pictures coming, we love them here!

Do you plan on stretching the Jeep any? It would look MEAN with those 38s! How is that 8" of lift treating you? The steering feel solid with that big tires or is the pump upgraded? The terrain you are in looks like that big of lift is ideal and low center of gravity isnt really needed... I may be wrong haha.
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
Be sure to check this out for some great deals on roof racks! http://www.discountramps.com/car-top...roof-racks.htm

Keep the pictures coming, we love them here!

Do you plan on stretching the Jeep any? It would look MEAN with those 38s! How is that 8" of lift treating you? The steering feel solid with that big tires or is the pump upgraded? The terrain you are in looks like that big of lift is ideal and low center of gravity isnt really needed... I may be wrong haha.
The big lift works good for a few things and not so good for several others. Steering is not very stable above 40MPH. This is an off road XJ only, it's just for the mud and trails.

The springs are stock in the rear and very soft up front. There is no sway bar so it articulates really good.

No pump upgrade yet but my next mod is a high steer tie rod relocation. That will include a new panhard bar as well. Does the pump upgrade help eliminate the dreaded wabble when you hit off axis bumps at speed?
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

A few more wheelin pictures.

This is pretty much what our trails look like.

Unread 07-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
ItCantBeStephen
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That thing is huge! Looks good man.
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
BlueBadger

Welcome to the forum buddy. That XJ is awesome looking! I'd love to take a trip there but my 33"'s would never make it. But they suffice here in KY. A pump upgrade will help.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #11
justanotherjpr

Awesome looking Jeep, more wheeling pics!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Alaska Those are some gnarly trails.
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXJ91 View Post
Alaska Those are some gnarly trails.
They can be quite gnarly for sure. And we like our Jeeps around here.

Unread 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

A few more pictures of the trails we wheel on around my house.

Unread 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I urge you to read up on how to safely strap a vehicle to a trailer. By using ratchet straps in this manner, you are putting horizontal loads on components engineered for vertical loads. It's not safe at all!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.