Hurricane Dolly Aftermath! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Hurricane Dolly Aftermath!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Reply
Unread 07-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
Disaster1126
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 278
Here are the dunes that were pretty much cut in half the entire length of the beach, the tallest dunes were about 15- 20 feet so that should give an idea as to how high the swells were during the storm.



Here is the amazing part, the beach should be continuously straight but here a lagoon is carved into the beach and leveled the dunes in the area. It basically looks like a mouth a river that meats the ocean, as a matter of fact that "hole" in the beach is identical to the mouth of the rio grande where it meats the ocean witch is only a mile in the other direction. Keep in mind that there are two "holes" on the surf side and one on the bay side.

BEFORE DOLLY

AFTER DOLLY

Amazing that there used to a beach, dunes, and vegetation where all that water is now.


And here is one that my gf took with me and her great dane Calahan (after dirty harry) in the ol XJ.


Disaster1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #17
Disaster1126
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 278
Hmmm click free never works for me like it does on other forums. If some one would be so kind as to help me out here it would be greatly appreciated TIA.
Disaster1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #18
Disaster1126
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 278
Since the sand was so saturated with water where it never once was before, walking on the banks of the lagoon was like walking in quick sand. Well some guy who thought his all mighty F250 could make it through the water right where the quick sand is at its worst got stuck bad. He had blingin 20s with I dunno what size tire, and sunk down to the diffs. As night fall was coming there was a dodge duelly, chevy 2500, and a suburban, all strapped up front to rear trying to get him out. With all of them tuggin he didn't budge an inch, but he did manage to sink even deeper lol.

Heres the only pic that I got, BEFORE the tide came in.


4 tow straps, 2 chains, broken front tow hooks, and several hours later he was still in the same place with all four tires under water and people on their cell phones getting quotes from tow truck companies to come out to get him LOL.

Shockingly enough no tow truck will even touch the sand for anything less than 300 bux plus the time it takes to pull him out plus so much per mile they drove to get to him!! OWNED!
Disaster1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #19
Power5
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster1126 View Post
Here are the dunes that were pretty much cut in half the entire length of the beach, the tallest dunes were about 15- 20 feet so that should give an idea as to how high the swells were during the storm.



Here is the amazing part, the beach should be continuously straight but here a lagoon is carved into the beach and leveled the dunes in the area. It basically looks like a mouth a river that meats the ocean, as a matter of fact that "hole" in the beach is identical to the mouth of the rio grande where it meats the ocean witch is only a mile in the other direction. Keep in mind that there are two "holes" on the surf side and one on the bay side.

BEFORE DOLLY

AFTER DOLLY

Amazing that there used to a beach, dunes, and vegetation where all that water is now.


And here is one that my gf took with me and her great dane Calahan (after dirty harry) in the ol XJ.
You need 50 posts or become a supporting member.
__________________
Aaron
1999 XJ @ 6 on TSL 35s w/ Aussie D44 & XRC8
Power5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #20
Power5
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster1126 View Post
Since the sand was so saturated with water where it never once was before, walking on the banks of the lagoon was like walking in quick sand. Well some guy who thought his all mighty F250 could make it through the water right where the quick sand is at its worst got stuck bad. He had blingin 20s with I dunno what size tire, and sunk down to the diffs. As night fall was coming there was a dodge duelly, chevy 2500, and a suburban, all strapped up front to rear trying to get him out. With all of them tuggin he didn't budge an inch, but he did manage to sink even deeper lol.

Heres the only pic that I got, BEFORE the tide came in.


4 tow straps, 2 chains, broken front tow hooks, and several hours later he was still in the same place with all four tires under water and people on their cell phones getting quotes from tow truck companies to come out to get him LOL.

Shockingly enough no tow truck will even touch the sand for anything less than 300 bux plus the time it takes to pull him out plus so much per mile they drove to get to him!! OWNED!
They need a winch and an A frame to pull him up out of the sand, not forward.
__________________
Aaron
1999 XJ @ 6 on TSL 35s w/ Aussie D44 & XRC8
Power5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #21
Disaster1126
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 278
Hey Power5 thanx for the click frees. But yeah a winch and a frame is the only way he is coming out. But every one out there just wanted to waste gas buy redlining and making rooster tails.
Disaster1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #22
walterm77
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: chauvin, La.
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster1126 View Post
But yeah a winch and a frame is the only way he is coming out. But every one out there just wanted to waste gas buy redlining and making rooster tails.
after reviewing the pictures of the redneck trying to swim with his truck, I realized something. all they needed was some floaties and a trolling motor and he would have been fine. hmmmm, some peoples children......
__________________
if my girlfriend was as dirty as my jeep, we'd be married already!
walterm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
Disaster1126
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterm77 View Post
after reviewing the pictures of the redneck trying to swim with his truck, I realized something. all they needed was some floaties and a trolling motor and he would have been fine. hmmmm, some peoples children......
Lol yeah they should have thought ahead and prepared! lol. Well for the kids to want to go across the water is one thing but for the adult driver its another. He should have known better. Oh well it gave us some good laughs.
Disaster1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
ajxj9197
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bloomington, Illinois
Posts: 1,346
thats alot what it looked like when my dad went down to florida after hurricane ivan. It's crazy how much damage those do. =[
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #25
walterm77
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: chauvin, La.
Posts: 88
I'm getting ready to go to camaron parish..... duty calls. this tropical storm is getting on my nerves! it put 18" of water in my yard and now is making me go to the louisiana/texas border to do damage assessment. and assist people with shelters.sometimes I hate being a medic...........
__________________
if my girlfriend was as dirty as my jeep, we'd be married already!
walterm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 02:41 AM   #26
madrabbitt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 8,822
sometimes i miss being a medic.

wtf is a resaca?

And, its only us jeep people stupid... er... adventurous to go out in a hurricane... lol
__________________
Installing HID's in stock housings is bad. Here is why.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #27
Disaster1126
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 278
A resaca is well I dunno what you guys call em up there but they are usually man made rivers/streams that intertwine in and around subdivisions and around the city. Mostly meant for draining and routing rain water.

Lol well yeah I went out when the winds were around 45-50mph not to bad but still a lil scary.
Disaster1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.